[SOLVED] MATE, dual displays and window list

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
MaineTim

[SOLVED] MATE, dual displays and window list

Post by MaineTim »

Hopefully I'm just overlooking something here: I'm running dual displays (stacked on top of each other) and MATE's window list applet only shows windows located on the lower part of the desktop, where the panel is. How do I get window list to include windows on the upper display?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
desert69

Re: MATE, dual displays and window list

Post by desert69 »

I don't know if it depends on wheter you have your displays as separate screens or the same screen (with something like twin view or those things).

Back in the times where I used dual display setup (sniff), with Ubuntu 10.10 (Gnome), if I had just one unique Window list in my panels, all my windows appeared there. If I added a new panel, moved it to the other display, and then added a Window List there, each list showed its screen's windows...

I think I used a TwinView setup, but I'm not 100% sure...

If that doesn't work, maybe you can workaround this by setting the "Show windows of all workspaces" in your Window list preferences...
MaineTim

[SOLVED] Re: MATE, dual displays and window list

Post by MaineTim »

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have said I'm running the Nouveau driver and the displays are set up to act as a single desktop using the "Monitor Preferences" utility that's bundled with LMDE/MATE. I've done this for years using the closed nvidia driver and twinview, as you described, with lots of other desktop environments, and it's always been fine. The current driver configuration works fine under Cinnamon.

Unfortunately, even the "Show windows of all workspaces" setting doesn't help. It still ignores windows in the upper display/half of the desktop. When I drag a window from upper to lower, it appears on the list, then disappears as it's dragged back up. MATE's Window Selector app (the one that pops up a menu of available windows, rather than displaying buttons) shows everything, but the Window List app only seems to see the half of the desktop where the panel is actually located.

EDIT: It turns out that there were several instances of window list running, with all but one being hidden while the panel "Expand" property was active. Disabling Expand, I could delete all the instances, add one back in, and set the Expand property again. All is now working as it should.
chaos_prevails

Re: [SOLVED] MATE, dual displays and window list

Post by chaos_prevails »

Hi MaineTim,

thank you so much for the hint about expanding and multiple windows list instances! I had the same problem but now it's working again as it should.

Return to “LMDE Archive”