Mint 13 is "more" "rolling" than LMDE???

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ElQuia

Mint 13 is "more" "rolling" than LMDE???

Post by ElQuia »

One of the reasons I installed the lmde mint distros (both) was the promise of a ROLLING distro like debian with all the advantages of Mint.

Lets see: I got installed in Vitrual box:
LMDE XFCE
LMDE MAIN
Mint 12 KDE
Mint 12 LXDE
Mint 13 MAte
Mint 13 Cinnamon.

JUST TO SUMARIZE: Mint 13 has firefox 13, LMDE (¿rolling what?) has firefox 12

Am I VERY wrong or something is not what it should be?
Or please lets change definitions: dont use rolling as a concept, use the concept of a DEBIAN DISTRO With Mint cosmetics which will be updated each three months or whatever....

Any way.... I like MInt... :-O
monkeyboy

Re: Mint 13 is "more" "rolling" than LMDE???

Post by monkeyboy »

ElQuia wrote:One of the reasons I installed the lmde mint distros (both) was the promise of a ROLLING distro like debian with all the advantages of Mint.

Lets see: I got installed in Vitrual box:
LMDE XFCE
LMDE MAIN
Mint 12 KDE
Mint 12 LXDE
Mint 13 MAte
Mint 13 Cinnamon.

JUST TO SUMARIZE: Mint 13 has firefox 13, LMDE (¿rolling what?) has firefox 12

Am I VERY wrong or something is not what it should be?
Or please lets change definitions: dont use rolling as a concept, use the concept of a DEBIAN DISTRO With Mint cosmetics which will be updated each three months or whatever....

Any way.... I like MInt... :-O
Already done. the following is from the Mint main page and is used to describe LMDE "Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a semi-rolling distribution based on Debian Testing." Its amazing how informative those pages are. Enjoy
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it's an old battle trying to make it clear that debian testing is not a rolling release in the classic definition (neither is lmde, specially if following the UP policy)

anyway your example is kinda tricky (firefox), let's talk again in 6 months and compare mint13 and lmde but regarding kernel, xorg ... gimp.
den68

Post by den68 »

for all those who were wondering, that's a good indication that we'll see an UP within the next 6 months :wink:
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

Well Thanks guys..... but pleaseeee remember all of us cant spend much time on info pages... :shock:
Any way thanls for your answers.

But... lets see_:
Well I dont have to compete with my self.... seems regular mint is coming along quite nice, stable AND up to date with latest software, so one last question:

WHY should anyone chose LMDE?? :!: :?:

And a request: please keep up with LXDE it´s awesome for old machines and notebooks :D
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Instead of whining about not having the latest firefox, why not do something productive and figure out a solution. Never mind, I'll do it for you.

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Now, copy and paste the following:

Code: Select all

## Ubuntuzilla - latest Firefox, Thunderbird, Sea Monkey builds
#  Install with apt-get install firefox-mozilla-build, xxx-mozilla-build, etc.
deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main
Save the file

Now, open your package manager, remove whatever firefox (and thunderbird, etc.) you currently have installed, and replace them with the "firefox-mozilla-build." Problem solved.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
rozen

Post by rozen »

Hi,

I went to LMDE because I spend several months after a clean install of a new release getting everything just the way I like and after a very short time I'm having to do it all over again. I installed the 201204 version shortly after it became available partly because the writeup on Debian suggested it might not be as stable as Linux Mint but problems tended to be fixed quickly. So far there have been no updates to the repositories that I can see. At this point I am not sure what the advantage to LMDE is or if it is even being maintained. I am thinking of backing up my / partition and adding the Debian Testing repositories and seeing where that leads me.

Anyway, I thing frustration and confusion reigns and I am unsure of where to turn to avoid the rather constant configuration that actually interferes with my using my computer.

Clarifications or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in Advance,

Don
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Don, I think if you look through the forum you will find others who sympathize.
For me LMDE is only good if you can set it to Stable sources. This can be done with the spins that were released at around the time Debian Stable 6 was released. We are also not far off from the release of the new Debian Stable to come out probably early next year. At that time LMDE could be set to the new Stable sources and provide a system that's solid. I would not advise setting your current LMDE to Testing sources. I've borked at least three LMDE installs that way. Latest sources are pretty much a freeze at this point, and Testing/Wheezy are due to go into freeze soon.
TBH if you want to save yourself some grief, and are determined to run Debian, look at SolusOS 1, or SimplyMEPIS 11. You may have to tweak a few things to get it where you want it, but then you don't have to worry about it.
kbd47
den68

Post by den68 »

Thanks KBD47,
I didn't know SolusOS but I see it looks promising. I'll give it a go
the community seems quite active as well
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

They also have no info on LMDE on ANY OF THEIR WEBPAGES. No one knows what version packages are. I guess you can check Distrowatch and see what Debian Testing is at (if they stick to that schedule).

It looks like LMDE is like an afterthought in the Mint World.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

It looks like LMDE is like an afterthought in the Mint World.
Stop being so dramatic! LMDE is for ADVANCED Linux users! If you can't roll with the punches, more or less, then I suggest you stick with the mainstream Ubuntu based Mint edition. Those of us familiar with Debian and its ways are perfectly fine with LMDE. I personally like the Mint buffer between Testing and what lands on my desktop. As they say, if you can't take the heat...get out of the kitchen.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

KBD47 wrote:Don, I think if you look through the forum you will find others who sympathize.
For me LMDE is only good if you can set it to Stable sources. This can be done with the spins that were released at around the time Debian Stable 6 was released. We are also not far off from the release of the new Debian Stable to come out probably early next year. At that time LMDE could be set to the new Stable sources and provide a system that's solid. I would not advise setting your current LMDE to Testing sources. I've borked at least three LMDE installs that way. Latest sources are pretty much a freeze at this point, and Testing/Wheezy are due to go into freeze soon.
TBH if you want to save yourself some grief, and are determined to run Debian, look at SolusOS 1, or SimplyMEPIS 11. You may have to tweak a few things to get it where you want it, but then you don't have to worry about it.
kbd47
KBD47, this was the last time you posted in the Mint Forum spreading SolusOs awareness.

I'm sure you can find other ways to deliver the goods news, not here!
kbd wrote:I believe the word is spreading and will continue to spread. SolusOS is one of very few Linux systems that actually works well on all my computers, usually I have to use Ubuntu here, Debian there, one for low system resources on one machine, etc., but SolusOS looks good and works well everywhere.
I think you have already got many of the LMDE refugees, you may end up getting the Mint 13 refugees as many are finding that where Mint 12 worked fine, Mint 13 is a system freeze mess. 13 only works on one of my computers, Mint 12 worked on all my computers. Much of the problem is coming from Ubuntu 12.04, so expect refugees from there as well, not to mention those who were on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS gnome and will switch to 12.04 only to discover Unity. I think SolusOS is in the right place at the right time.
I'm definitely spreading the word, and will continue to do so. I know others are as well.
kbd
http://main.solusos.com/showthread.php? ... 0#post8800

Return to “LMDE Archive”