How do I route audio?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
BCL

How do I route audio?

Post by BCL »

Have similar problem. Also have Logitech (USB) wireless headset.

The sound seems to come out of whatever speaker it wants to, instead of the (USB) headset when I have that plugged in -- that is, some sounds come through the headset and some through the built-in speakers. And it completely ignores the mic on the headset. I need to be able to put the sound (in and out) where I want it (ALL of it).

Here's some data from my computer:
LMDE and I'm currently using MATE WM (since Gnome 3 and Cinnamon are not ready for prime time), and it's the only one I found thus far that works with my video.

The following is a list of devices on a drop-down box from the "Volume Control" dialog that comes up with the right click menu on the speaker in the task bar (system tray). Selecting each shows a set of volume sliders (some only one, others many) and other configuration tabs. I have tried a number of different settings and configuring, all to no avail.
  • HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)
  • Logitech Wireless Headset (Alsa mixer)
  • HD-Audio Generic (Alsa mixer)
  • IDT 92HD73C1X5 (OSS Mixer)
  • Playback: Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI) (PulseAudio Mixer)
  • Playback: Logitech Wireless Headset Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  • Playback: Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  • Capture: Monitor of Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series] Digital Stereo (HDMI) (PulseAudio Mixer)
  • Capture: Monitor of Logitech Wireless Headset Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  • Capture: Logitech Wireless Headset Analog Mono (PulseAudio Mixer)
  • Capture: Monitor of Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
  • Capture: Internal Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)
Here's some info on my computer:
-Computer-
  • Make/Model : Alienware M17x-R2
  • Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz
  • Memory : 3986MB (1362MB used)
  • Operating System : Linux Mint Debian Edition
  • Kernel : Linux 3.2.0-2-amd64 (x86_64)
  • Compiled : #1 SMP Sun Mar 4 22:48:17 UTC 2012
-Multimedia-
  • Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
  • Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - Logitech Wireless Headset
  • Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
-Input Devices-
  • Logitech USB Receiver
  • Logitech USB Receiver
  • Logitech Logitech Wireless Headset
  • PC Speaker
  • HDA Digital PCBeep
  • HDA Intel Mic
  • HDA Intel Line-out
  • HDA Intel Headphone
  • HDA Intel Headphone
  • HD-Audio Generic HDMI/DP,pcm : 3=
It lists 2 Audio devices, but the Logitech headset is also listed as an audio adapter
  • Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio
  • Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I route audio?

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
GregE

Re: How do I route audio?

Post by GregE »

I have no direct experience with your hardware, but this is what I would try.

Install all of the Pulse Audio support programs. Then install Gnome Alsamixer.

Inside the mixer you should be able to set the input and output devices. What happens when you do that? If you set the desired ouput and input and sound then comes out the wrong place then it might be a driver issue.

Gnome Alsamixer can fix a lot of sound issues. Start it up and play with all the possible selections and make no assumptions, just systematically try them all. As an example when I installed my current system no matter what I did I had no sound output to my analog speakers. Nothing in the mixer helped. In Gnome Aslamixer there is a toggle for digital and analog output. In my case selecting digital made the analog speakers work - thus my suggestion to make no assumptions.

Lastly Intel HDA is just a very loose standard. Find out what the actual audio chip is and do a search on "linux Realtek ALC892" or whatever matches you motherboard.

If all you want to do is use the headset exclusively you could turn off the sound in the motherboard BIOS and then you will only have one sound device.

Return to “LMDE Archive”