Will Mint 14 mate 64bit eventually upgrade to kernel 3.5?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ronshere

Will Mint 14 mate 64bit eventually upgrade to kernel 3.5?

Post by Ronshere »

I am wondering if the kernel will eventually be updated to the 3.5 final when it is released?
Does Linux Mint update the kernel on these LTS editions or just ancillary stuff?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Will Mint 14 mate 64bit eventually upgrade to kernel 3.5

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint follows Ubuntu's updates to the kernel. So if Ubuntu will make kernel 3.5 available on Quantal / 12.10, it will be available on Linux Mint 14. That said, by default kernel updates are not enabled on Linux Mint. This is a precaution, as kernel updates can break your system and average users wouldn't know how to recover from that. Hence it is not enabled by default. In the Update Manager > Edit > Preferences you can enable visibility of level 4 and 5 updates, or enable them to install by default. Level 4 and 5 updates cover such things as the kernel and xorg.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Will Mint 14 mate 64bit eventually upgrade to kernel 3.5

Post by AlbertP »

You can update the kernel yourself if it's too old for you.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185

The LTS release will basically stay on the 3.2 kernel, Ubuntu uses a PPA for kernel updates to a new major version on LTS releases. You can also do it manually.

Also, enabling level 4 is not necessary.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”