Nvidia proprietary drivers - nothing?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomkat5

Nvidia proprietary drivers - nothing?

Post by tomkat5 »

Hello,

I just installed 64 bit Linux Mint (Maya) with MATE. Its ok so far - I'm more used to Xubuntu, but I missed gnome2... Basically, I just got an Alienware M14xR2 (video card is nVidia Geforce GT 650M) and I wanted to play with Linux on it.

The first problem I noticed was that Youtube (and video files, .avi for example) play in slow motion, with no sound. Even the time is counted slower on the player. I checked to see if it installed the nVidia proprietary driver, but the additional drivers thing under System>Preferences showed nothing! Not even an experimental driver I needed to activate!

I've had nVidia problems on another computer before, so after some searching I uncovered this: http://www.techlw.com/2012/06/install-n ... buntu.html

I entered the terminal steps on the website, and the slow motion looked a little faster, but it was still slow motion.

I removed compiz via synaptic thinking it would help, but no change.

Anybody have an idea what's going on? I've heard about the problems nVidia has with Linux stuff, but it wasn't a problem on my old computer (Dell Latitude d630... it was time for an upgrade).

If it helps:
$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

$ inxi
CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU (-HT-MCP-) clocked at 1200.000 Mhz Kernel~3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 Up~8 min Mem~556.1/7889.0MB HDD~500.1GB(1.2% used) Procs~174 Client~Shell inxi~1.7.33

$ sudo lshw -c display
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NVIDIA Corporation
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a1
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:d0000000-d0ffffff memory:a0000000-afffffff memory:b0000000-b1ffffff ioport:3000(size=128) memory:b2000000-b207ffff
*-display
product: Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:44 memory:d2000000-d23fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:4000(size=64)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Nvidia proprietary drivers - nothing?

Post by kc1di »

Here is some information that may be of interest to you.
http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.c ... s-for.html
If you haven't already i would install the latest Nvidia driver you can get it from nvidia or your can install this ppa from ubuntu and install it using the additional driver tool.
http://www.noobslab.com/2011/09/nvidia- ... eiric.html

the latest driver is 295.59 I believe.

good Luck,

Linus hasn't had good things to say about nvidia lately though :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
tomkat5

Post by tomkat5 »

Yeah, those were the commands I used to 'install' the driver earlier, even though my computer refuses to acknowledge it.

I did the additional step of going into the Xserver settings which told me to run 'nvidia-xconfig' and restart the X server, after which everything would be ok. Now my resolution isn't right. 480x480 or something not nearly as high as my monitor should have...
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

tomkat5 wrote:Yeah, those were the commands I used to 'install' the driver earlier, even though my computer refuses to acknowledge it.

I did the additional step of going into the Xserver settings which told me to run 'nvidia-xconfig' and restart the X server, after which everything would be ok. Now my resolution isn't right. 480x480 or something not nearly as high as my monitor should have...
It think if I remember right (Not on My mint box I'm at work.) if you've installed the drivers from Nividia there will be a seperate nvidia settings menu either under preferences or administration.
look for that and change your resolution there.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
tomkat5

Post by tomkat5 »

Sorry I was in a rush while writing the last post..

I should have also mentioned that even at the bad resolution the problem with videos persists. Also, the nVidia X Server Settings menu under System>Administration doesn't change even after I give the command 'nvidia-xconfig'

Here's the configuration file it made. Don't know what, but something can't be right:

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 302.17 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-04.nvidia.com) Tue Jun 12 17:05:44 PDT 2012

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
Shwiggz

Post by Shwiggz »

Well since the beginning of time I've had problems with flash playing correctly on linux. For the video problems I find installing Flash through the Flash-Aid add-on in Firefox gives the best results. That usually won't fix my sound problems though. I always have to get rid of Pulse-Audio to fix that.

Btw... how is the m14x? Mine is in the mail right now, can't wait!
jeshurun

Post by jeshurun »

Slightly off topic:
If you disconnect / reconnect the power adapter, does the battery stop / start charging properly? I have an M17xr3 right now and this is a huge bummer for me, as the battery indicator does not recognize the adapter has been disconnected for about 20 seconds, and then the battery simply won't charge after the laptop is plugged back in. I am selling the M17x and getting an M14x R2, and would appreciate it if you could confirm this problem does not exist, as it drove me nuts.
Shwiggz

Post by Shwiggz »

Ok my laptop is here now (alienware m14x r2) and i have the same problem as the poster of this topic. Does anyone have a solution yet? I don't care about installing the gt 650m, because im not using my linux partition for gaming. I only want the intel hd 4000 onboard card to work (which is more than powerful enough to run flash videos).
defcronyke

Post by defcronyke »

I got the GT650M working with the official NVidia proprietary driver on Mint 13 Cinnamon with the cinnamon desktop working, using bumblebee. Your usual NVidia driver packages won't work properly because all these new laptops use Optimus technology. which requires free software called Bumblebee to work (because NVidia isn't supporting Optimus on Linux). You could check the Bumblebee project's bug tracker to see if any of their solutions work for you, or you could follow my tutorial if you want to get it working the same way I did: http://eternalvoid.net/tutorials/linux-optimus-gt650m/

None of the documented ways of installing bumblebee worked for me on a Clevo W150ERM with a GT650M, which is why I wrote a tutorial once I figured out a way that worked for me. Apparently my recipe works for some other new Optimus cards and on similar versions of Ubuntu as well. Don't give up on getting your GT650M working on Linux, it's a pretty great card and it works really well!!
tgeorge

Post by tgeorge »

I've got a similar issue; I have a new HP ENVY 4T (4-1043ci) with an i5 3317 and an Ivy bridge with an Intel HD 4000 graphics card, and all I can get to is a console login - the xserver fails everytime; this is after a successful install using the GUI. Here what I believe to be the relevant diagnostics:

$ lshw -c video
*-display
product: Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

$ inxi -Gx
resources: irq:46 memory:c0000000-c03fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:3000(size=64)
[1;34mGraphics: [0;37m [1;34mCard:[0;37m Intel Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller [1;34mbus-ID:[0;37m 00:02.0
[1;34m [0;37m [1;34mX.org:[0;37m 1.11.3 [1;34mdrivers:[0;37m nouveau,mach64,trident,vesa,intel,fbdev,ati,vboxvideo,radeon,sisusb,tdfx,vmware,sis,s3,savage,openchrome,mga,siliconmotion,cirrus,neomagic [1;34mtty size:[0;37m 170x48 [1;34mAdvanced Data:[0;37m N/A out of X
[0m

---> I've tried blacklisting the nouveau driver, based on another post, but was denied access <---

p.s. I have an Xorg.0.log also...

Would appreciate any insight into how to troubleshoot this!

Thanks!

Thomas

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”