How to make my desktop background a video

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m420

How to make my desktop background a video

Post by m420 »

i want to make my desktop background a video. any help would be great.
thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to make my desktop background a video

Post by dagon »

Hi!

It's been a while since I did something like that but it went something like this old post:
http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/hoanga/200 ... on-ubuntu/

However things could have changed since.

Good luck!

:wink:
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Just an FYI but it's pretty easy to do in KDE, in fact I believe they even have a package to help set things up for you. After quite a bit of searching and rummaging through my brain I found Animated Video Wallpaper on KDE-Look.

I know that probably won't help you but it may help fellow KDE users. I did find a topic on the Linux Questions forum that may help with some information from just last November. Again it's for KDE but the info should translate fairly easily to your DE.
MattersNot

Post by MattersNot »

I would use an animated gif. using the new ffmpeg

1st way using the older ffmpeg:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -t 18 -ss 00:03:52 -i video.avi out%04d.gif
(for separate gifs)
the -t = duration of the gif which is 18 seconds. --ss = at what point in the video you want ffmpeg to start copying frames to gifs. out%04d.gif = so each gif is numbered sequentially.

then use imagemagick at the command line to merge all .gifs:

convert -layers Optimize *.gif new_small.gif
or the easier way:

./ffmpeg -i /home/user/Downloads/video.avi -vf scale=480:-1 -t 18 -ss 00:03:53 -r 30 -pix_fmt rgb8 /home/user/Downloads/your.gif
This has to be done in the directory your video is in.

Ive made 20 second duration gifs that run smoothly and with great quality - try and use hd video versions or higher quality videos to convert to gif.
This is one way to add animation to your theme. Just edit the theme.css file and replace the background jpg or logo png or whatever.
highwind

Post by highwind »

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”