How to install software on Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaComboMan

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by DaComboMan »

Hello,

I've unzipped two programs that weren't in Software Manager's repertoire (RSS OWL & TreePad Lite Linux ed.) and both are functionnal.

Problem is, i don't have the right-click options to add them to the panel or to favorite list (they don't even show up on recent list) so every time i have to dig deep into my download folder where i put them to click on the program icon.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

At least in Linux Mint 13 MATE and Cinnamon you can right-click the menu button, and choose to edit the menu. Open one of the existing categories (RSS OWL to Internet, TreePad to Accessoiries or Programming), and choose to add an new entry. Then configure the command to run to the full path of the file you run. Give it a description, and you now have them in the menu. You can then right-click them in the menu to add them to your favorites list, or for at least Cinnamon also to add them to the panel or desktop.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

@xenopeek,

Pardon my ignorance, but i presume that i am to open the Sofware Manager to add new category.
Problem is where?
When under "web" i don't see the option to add a new category anywhere.
Sorry!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Right-click the menu button, the thingy in the lower left of your screen that says "Menu" :wink: Choose Edit menu.
DaComboMan

Post by DaComboMan »

I did it! I did it! :D

Thanks xenopeek!

At first i was just selecting it so i guess i wasn't getting the full path.
Then i finally clicked on "open" that there it was.

LinuxMint is cool, but the learning curve is demanding.
Oolong

Post by Oolong »

I don't seem to have Software Manager any more. Nowhere visible, anyway. I can't remember if it's supposed to be under Accessories, or System Tools, or somewhere else, but anyway, it's not. Could be because I'm using Gnome Classic (because it seems to be the only one that allows me to play videos okay most of the time) but obviously it really shouldn't disappear when we switch desktop environment anyway!

Any clues?
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

Thanks xenopeek.. this is a very useful guide.. :)
Simple and easy to understand..
I really needed this information..
gladsonvm

Post by gladsonvm »

ofcourse evince is really good to read pdf files.Its fast also.
cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

What directory should we install the tarballs to? The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3 ... REPACKAGES suggests that /opt might be the right place, altho I'm not sure what "add-on" means exactly.

(And no, I don't want to hear stuff using Synaptic or finding the PPA. Sometimes that's just not an option.)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Depends. If it is a tarball with an already compiled program, you can put it anywhere you like. Usually these tarballs come with an installer script that will install the program to /usr and add a shortcut in your menu. If there is no installer script, you can usually put it where you like. If only one user needs to run the program, you can put it in a folder in your home folder. If you want other users also to be able to use it, /opt is a better place and less risky than trying to manually put the program in /usr (as you generally will have few programs in /opt, so making a mistake there is not as damaging).

A tarball with just source code will usually, as part of the "make install" step (remember it is better to do "checkinstall"), also install the program to its intended folders (usually in /usr or sometimes /opt).
Specter

Post by Specter »

Thank you so much. Exactly what I was trying to understand.
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

I am new to Forum because although I have been running Linux Mint Debian for more than six months, it has now gone wrong. I have pleaded in forum (search under curtrey) but no success so far.
I want to install a possible fix for no sound which is a patch from the manufacturer's web site. I can follow your instructions to the point where the file is in the terminal bur the next command (./configure) is kicked out with the comment "no such command". My attempts end at that point.

Please advise.

Thanks Curtrey
7vn11vn

Post by 7vn11vn »

What a help this thread has been. One of my favorite Windows programs was TheBrain from thebrain.com. They have a Linux version and I downloaded it, but couldn't figure out how to install it. Kept double-clicking and getting an error that Pluma couldn't open it. What can I say? :D Anyway, I found this thread and figured it out and now it works beautifully. Even got the Adobe Reader up and running. These were a couple of programs I was having trouble living without. Thanks to the OP. Your post was quite helpful for this Noob!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

jollyterminus

Post by jollyterminus »

Curtrey wrote:I am new to Forum because although I have been running Linux Mint Debian for more than six months, it has now gone wrong. I have pleaded in forum (search under curtrey) but no success so far.
I want to install a possible fix for no sound which is a patch from the manufacturer's web site. I can follow your instructions to the point where the file is in the terminal bur the next command (./configure) is kicked out with the comment "no such command". My attempts end at that point.

Please advise.

Thanks Curtrey
Im having the exact same issue and can't seem to find an answer here anywhere. I have decompressed the tarball into the folder I wanted. But in the terminal I navigate to it, type "./configure" and get the same message: "bash: no such command or directory." Can someone please help? I wish I had been born knowing all this, but I wasn't, I have to learn. Thanks.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If you have a issue with a specific tarball, please create a new topic in the Software & Applications forum (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=47) and link to where you downloaded the tarball. We can't help you if we don't know what you are trying to install :)
Herr_Merlin

Re: Example for alternative way better than recommended one

Post by Herr_Merlin »

I installed rednotebook via the software manager and it didn't budge, when I clicked the rednotebook in the start menu. Then I got to the website of rednotebook and read that you only have to type 3 commands into the terminal to get some PPA and the program runs fine after that.

If I read correctly, than there was an old version in the software manager and via the terminal I replaced it with a newer one.

Does anybody know if this behaviour will occur more frequently?
Catbuntu

Re: Example for alternative way better than recommended one

Post by Catbuntu »

Herr_Merlin wrote:I installed rednotebook via the software manager and it didn't budge, when I clicked the rednotebook in the start menu. Then I got to the website of rednotebook and read that you only have to type 3 commands into the terminal to get some PPA and the program runs fine after that.

If I read correctly, than there was an old version in the software manager and via the terminal I replaced it with a newer one.

Does anybody know if this behaviour will occur more frequently?
What do you mean with this behaviour?
If you mean if you'll have more updates, yes. When rednotebook team publish another update, you'll see it on your Update Manager and you won't have to wait until it's published on Mint's repositories.

Catbuntu
velky_pivo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by velky_pivo »

Also,
yum - for rpm packages
alien - to convert some packages into debian

Perhaps someone more experienced than me could provide info at this post
guerin-Tyron

Post by guerin-Tyron »

This is a must read for beginners like me. I think you should send this as a message to those who are running linux for the first time.

Return to “Beginner Questions”