Mint 13 LXDE. When?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Worms

Mint 13 LXDE. When?

Post by Worms »

Does anyone know when will the version of Linux Mint 13 LXDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: Mint 13 LXDE. When?

Post by seppalta »

You may want to read: "Linux Mint LXDE 13 LTS?" below.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Worms wrote:Does anyone know when will the version of Linux Mint 13 LXDE?
There won't be a Mint 13 LXDE. This was done to give more support to the Xfce version which is at least percieved to be more popular.
Worms

Post by Worms »

I have no choice. I will have to use Lubuntu on my netbook Asus eeepc 701 and Mint on my PC.
Clem sad decision for me.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You could wait for Mint 13 XFCE and install LXDE on top.
Worms

Post by Worms »

nunol wrote:You could wait for Mint 13 XFCE and install LXDE on top.
The eeepc 701 only has 4 Gb on SSD. No enough space for two desktop.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Even Mint 12 LXDE had problems with only 4GB. Mint 13 LXDE should be no different. You have to install to 8GB memory card, do a multi partition install with the 4GB SSD and memory card or go for another distro to avoid problems.

You could use the Lubuntu 12.04 minimal install from the mini.iso and install only what you need. You could do the same with Debian 6 or testing.
http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96465
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Worms wrote:I have no choice. I will have to use Lubuntu on my netbook Asus eeepc 701 and Mint on my PC.
Clem sad decision for me.
Life sucks and then you die. :D
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Worms wrote:
You're in the same boat as I (also have 4G 701) am. I have been watching distrowatch. Waiting for the next release of antiX, WattOS, lightweight vectorlinux, and whatever else.
I think we are out of luck unless we want to add disk space (hardware or USB). And I (and I think you too) know I don't.

I still have LM LXDE 10 on my eee. Eventually I will be too out-of-date.

Sheng-Chieh
Worms

Post by Worms »

shengchieh wrote:
Worms wrote:
You're in the same boat as I (also have 4G 701) am. I have been watching distrowatch. Waiting for the next release of antiX, WattOS, lightweight vectorlinux, and whatever else.
I think we are out of luck unless we want to add disk space (hardware or USB). And I (and I think you too) know I don't.

I still have LM LXDE 10 on my eee. Eventually I will be too out-of-date.

Sheng-Chieh
This it is my friend. Our Hardware is Paleolithic.
Antix is a good distro, I've used a lot of time on the PC and the result was very good. I like Debian based distro so I will wait the end of the support for my Mint 9 LXDE and then I'll change to Lubuntu, Antix or Debian minimal installation with Asus eeepc package set.
dajare

Post by dajare »

cwwgateway wrote:There won't be a Mint 13 LXDE. This was done to give more support to the Xfce version which is at least percieved to be more popular.
Such an irony -- the LXDE subforum is far more active here than the Xfce area. I wonder what the poll results really represented?

Still, I'm not bitter. Really. I'll get over it. Someday. :wink:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

dajare wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:There won't be a Mint 13 LXDE. This was done to give more support to the Xfce version which is at least percieved to be more popular.
Such an irony -- the LXDE subforum is far more active here than the Xfce area. I wonder what the poll results really represented?
The poll results should be fairly accurate considering the number of votes and that it is nearly impossible to manipulate the numbers (at least from the outside). Also, I think it would be odd for the linux mint team to manipulate the poll seeing that they have previously shown no favoritism between xfce and lxde. If, hypothetically, Clem was evil and wanted to manipulate polls, don't you think he would do it so that his own desktop, Cinnamon, and his other desktop, MATE (I know he didn't make it, but he has been a big supporter of it) would win? Instead, during a lot of the poll, Xfce had more votes than MATE.

Edit: Also, there are more threads and posts in the xfce subsection than in the lxde subsection. Finally, in the Desktops and Window Managers section there is an xfce section with even more posts (their isn't and lxde section for some reason).
dajare

Post by dajare »

cwwgateway wrote:
dajare wrote:Such an irony -- the LXDE subforum is far more active here than the Xfce area. I wonder what the poll results really represented?
... it would be odd for the linux mint team to manipulate the poll ...
So sorry -- that was not my thought at all! (Or any other manipulative insinuation! :shock:) Although by leaving such a brief leading question, I can see how it could be taken that way. My thought was whether the results were more "aspirational" than "actual". Reading through the comment thread with the poll (ok, not all 22 pages!) I can see some element of that, but even there, not all that much.
cwwgateway wrote:Edit: Also, there are more threads and posts in the xfce subsection than in the lxde subsection. Finally, in the Desktops and Window Managers section there is an xfce section with even more posts (their isn't and lxde section for some reason).
There is a higher total, but my recent observation (only that) is that the LXDE subforum is currently more active (check dates of posts), that's all. And there's more than one explanation for that, too!
Last edited by dajare on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Why don't you build an LXDE version of Maya? Start with an Ubuntu Precise mini.iso, once it's installed change your sources over to what Maya uses then install LXDE.

Here's a quicky how-to I wrote up for some people when I created a Mint 13 Xfce version, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 54#p587329

You can follow the same idea but install LXDE instead.
jdizzle

Post by jdizzle »

Wait a minute... Does Maya not allow you to install on a drive less than 5 gigs?

I have the eeepc 901 with the 4 gig drive. I've never had trouble installing Mint Main and then LXDE. For example, after installed the last LTS (9 or 10... sorry, it's been awhile), I opened up synaptic and uninstalled a ton of stuff - e.g. Ooo, bluetooth stuff, printer stuff (don't print from my eeepc), and much more. Basically I arranged by size in synaptic and uninstalled if I don't use. Then I installed the LXDE package (sorry again, forgot which one, but the lighter one that doesn't have all the extra apps). Finally, I uninstalled everything gnome. Well, almost everything. I know I kept the wireless app and it's dependencies, and prob a couple more gnome things.

Anyway, i guess my point is that I had my installation around a gig (maybe 1.3). No swap. And no problems for over 4 years and multiple mint installs running LXDE. 4g ssd, 512mb Ram, Pentium M processor, and it flies! I suppose I could have installed the LXDE versions of Mint, but just had so many gnome versions already ready to go from other installations. Plus I like to fiddle.

Can I still do what this with Maya??? I'm away from my little guy (eeepc 901) but plan on doing my usual install method described above when I get back to the states... i hope i can!

I'm freaking psyched about 5 year LTS... this is HUGE! BTW... I believe Lubuntu LTS is NOT 5 year support, but 3 as previous LTS's.

Linux Mint rocks! :D
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

The Mint 13 installer will only work if you have 4.9GB (as measured with Gparted, not the installer) for Cinnamon (MATE needs 0.5GB more). My Eee 701 has a internal 4GB SSD that actually only has 3.7GB (as measured with Gparted, not the installer).

You may be able to fool the installer if you have a USB drive or memory card connected to the computer, I did that with Mint 12 LXDE.

I found that Mint 13 Cinnamon with LXDE or Openbox/tint2 works well but the Mint 13 XFCE could work better.

If you are limited to the 4GB internal SSD and cannot use a memory card or a usb pen to increase the available space you may find problems to install any version of Maya. You should consider other distros, the Debian netinstall and the Ubuntu mini.iso are very versatile. The mini.iso allows you to install a minimal Lubuntu install with less than 1.5GB of disk space used. Crunchbang, AntiX and Puppy are also good options.

Mint 9 LTS has another 10 months of support so you don't need to select a new distro now and by then you should have many new distros available.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

Do you know when support for LXDE 12 ends? If there is no new version then I think I shall try something new on my netbook.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Garvan wrote:Do you know when support for LXDE 12 ends? If there is no new version then I think I shall try something new on my netbook.
Mint 12 and Mint 9 LTS support ends on April 2013 regardless of the DE/WM. It will not explode on that date and will probably continue to work for years but no support (bug fixes, security fixes) will be issued and repos will eventually close. You should move to another Mint edition or another distro. Mint 14, Mint 15 and Debian 7 should arrive before or shortly after the EOL of Mint 9/12.

Because Mint 9/10/11/12 LXDE and Mint 9 Fluxbox are very fast and use very little RAM and disk some users will find that Mint 13 will not install because the computer doesn't have enough RAM/disk or is to slow.

The two lightest versions of Mint, Mint 9 Fluxbox and Mint 9/12 LXDE will reach EOL in 10 months without replacement and were cancelled on the LTS version...
jdizzle

Post by jdizzle »

:( Sad day for my eeepc... I've installed the whole thing on my 16 gig SD card before. Might try that again. I'll also see if I can "fool" G-Parted.

Glad to know I got 10 months left of Mint on my 4g EeePc. I've been interested in AntiX for some time now. Guess I have a reason to install now.

No problem though. Mint will be on other machines.

Thanks for the input!!!

-J
ElQuia

Post by ElQuia »

Guys, I think it is a BIG MISTAKE bypassing LXDE. It is NOT a question of disk space, or whatever. It is having a LEAN, MEAN machine, EVEN if I had an 8core machine with TONS of RAM, WHY SHOULD I use a desktop that is a resource hog or a non proved one like cinnamon? or a regression like mate?

NO WAY, LXDE is cool.

Please? Mint 13 LXDE?

Return to “Software & Applications”