Firecox access issue on new 12 KDE install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rogerh113

Firecox access issue on new 12 KDE install

Post by rogerh113 »

Hello,

I just switched over (hopefully) from Mandriva to Mint, and am having a browser problem. In firefox, numerous sites will not load - seems like sites with any security or authentication (like yahoo mail, ebay). I checked the time/date, but that is fine. Maybe some default security setting or some setting I need to make.....

A short banner came up on the lower right indicating that an application (or applet) could not initiate or be found - but it was gone so fast I couldn't pick it up. No app name I was familiar with. Maybe it will come back next time I reboot and I can provide more info ..... I think the same message came up when I was running 'live', but I figured it was associate with running live (obviously wrong on that one).

Hopefully this is an obvious problem. Please let me know, as most of the internet is now closed to me due to this.

Thanks -- Roger
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rogerh113

Re: Firecox access issue on new 12 KDE install

Post by rogerh113 »

Hello,

I downloaded chromium browser, and have encountered the same site problem, so probably something to do with Mint security or permissions ??

The problem is that the browser seems to be able to access a site (firefox header correctly indicates site information), and either the browser will continue to load with no visible site information (still on previous viewed site), or partial site information will be displayed and the browser will continue to load. In both cases, the page will end up not loading.

I rebooted and the message is that nepomuk is disabled ?? I enabled it, and apparently it was not relevant to the problem.....

Please let me know what needs to be done. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks -- Roger
mali radnik

Post by mali radnik »

I use LMDE MATE 64bit and yesterday I had exactly the same problem when trying to open Yahoo! Mail. It was simply impossible to open it. I hope it was either a temporary malfunction, or someone experienced should advise us what to do.
rogerh113

Post by rogerh113 »

Hello,

I think it might well be the MTU rate - I have to get into my computer to switch drives in order to be able to try it on my system. My dsl provider uses PPPoE, which has a max MTU of 1492, where the default is probably 1500. On my Mandriva Linux, and probably here in Mint, the file is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and the line mtu = 1493 needs to be added. When I get a chance to work on my system, I will let you know if this works. Meanwhile, if anyone with experience knows if this is correct, please comment.

Thanks -- Roger

Return to “Software & Applications”