minor issues w/ automounting 2nd drive [dead]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wm_domino

minor issues w/ automounting 2nd drive [dead]

Post by wm_domino »

i've been bouncing between these 2 sets of instructions for automatically mounting a second internal drive:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093 &
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=85871

i prefer the 2nd since (even though user in thread says it should be removed) i don't have any permission issues when i go to put files and folders on the drive, much less generate links.

however, on shutdown i see a warning in the list indicating dismounting /var/run is busy and on restart i get a line 12 in fstab is bad error.

the drive does mount and i don't seem to be having any issues using it, but since i keep generating errors with simple file sharing and a few other things, i'd like to get this ironed out please.

i have no clue what seems to keep the system from dismounting everything on a reboot, but it seems that issue goes away when i get to mounting samba shares through gigolo, or at least i don't see it.

the only lines i've added to fstab are:

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=e89eb6a6-f8a2-4419-bf38-e33b4b617020 /mnt/Storage Drive ext4 (and here i've tried all sorts of suggestions from the two previously indicated posts and several others that seem to be well read currently i have: defaults,noatime 0 2)

on the old spin i was able to make the error go away by removing everything in the fstab line after ext4, but haven't tried it this round.

fresh install of xfce, any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: minor issues w/ automounting 2nd drive

Post by altair4 »

If the following is the actual line from fstab it will not work:
UUID=e89eb6a6-f8a2-4419-bf38-e33b4b617020 /mnt/Storage Drive ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
The system will interpret the space between "Storage" and "Drive" as a separation between a mount point and a file type and there is no such thing as a filetype=Drive. You need to tell the system that the mount point is "Storage Drive". The way you do that is this way:
UUID=e89eb6a6-f8a2-4419-bf38-e33b4b617020 /mnt/Storage\020Drive ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
That's a \zero2zero taking the place of the space.

If you currently have the partition mounted unmount it and then run the following command to test for errors and mount the partition:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -a
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

on reboot after making the change, it failed to mount and i got this in reply to my mount command from the terminal: mount: mount point /mnt/StorageDrive does not exist

only the space between the e and D was filled w/ a character i've never seen before and it won't paste in this box.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I didn't understand your last post so let's try it this way:

Create a new mount point:

sudo mkdir /mnt/StorageDrive
Then edit the line in fstab to look like this:

UUID=e89eb6a6-f8a2-4419-bf38-e33b4b617020 /mnt/StorageDrive ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

ok, removing the space works better, i now have my "lost+found" folder and see no reason why it shouldn't be working 100%

but my shut-down & boot warnings have changed to:

shut-down now indicates unmounting temp filesystems /var/run ? generates a red warning

boot up indicates that there is some issue "according to mtab is already mounted on /run/smh"? (i think i got most of it before it wizzed by).

any way to put the space back in my folder name?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you now have this line in fstab:
UUID=e89eb6a6-f8a2-4419-bf38-e33b4b617020 /mnt/StorageDrive ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
Put a # sign in front of it so it doesn't automount:
#UUID=e89eb6a6-f8a2-4419-bf38-e33b4b617020 /mnt/StorageDrive ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

completed:

on shutdown i got the same error about unmounting device is busy with instead of a red warning i got a red "failed" *update = subsequent reboots have put it back to it's reg red warning

on boot i now just get 2 (before i was seeing 4 or more) entries for "according to mtab ... already mounted" and no red warning at all.
Last edited by wm_domino on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Then your problem has nothing to do with the second drive being mounted since the # sign disabled the line. Your problem is something else.

I don't have an answer but you might want to post the output of the following commands so that someone who has seen these odd error messages can come to your assistance:

cat /etc/fstab

sudo blkid -c /dev/null

mount
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

thank you very much for your time!

here is the info requested:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=5d95b8f6-189f-4611-acab-7665d24c9485 / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda2
UUID=262c45b0-350a-4c1c-b245-4b630a165a7a /home ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=5fe6fef5-360a-4915-8641-cff66e1f10ef swap swap sw 0 0
# /dev/sdb1
#UUID=e89eb6a6-f8a2-4419-bf38-e33b4b617020 /mnt/StorageDrive ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2

/dev/sda1: UUID="5d95b8f6-189f-4611-acab-7665d24c9485" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda2: UUID="262c45b0-350a-4c1c-b245-4b630a165a7a" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda3: UUID="5fe6fef5-360a-4915-8641-cff66e1f10ef" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="e89eb6a6-f8a2-4419-bf38-e33b4b617020" TYPE="ext4"

udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=512484k,nr_inodes=128121,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
/dev/disk/by-uuid/5d95b8f6-189f-4611-acab-7665d24c9485 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=103416k,mode=755)
tmpfs on /var/run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=206828k)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /var/run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=206828k)
/dev/sda2 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /dev/cgroup/cpu type cgroup (rw,relatime,cpu,release_agent=/usr/local/sbin/cgroup_clean)

i hope wordpad didn't screw up anything converting that from gedit = i don't see anything

the boot operations seems right since both entries are for separate locations (sorry didn't notice since the reduction to just 2).

it does seem like the shut down warning doesn't have to do with this drive but something the os sees in itself.

thanks again, let me know if you need anything else
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

it took a few tries, but here are the replies from the areas i was seeing before. figured this would be of assistance since i thought it'd go away when i got fstab fixed. sorry it's not exactly right, but i dunno how to pause a restart or get a screenshot of it.

on boot this is now what i see in the list instead of line x of fstab is bad or something else; the only reason i can pick it out now is because of the blank lines.

mount: according to mtab, tmpfs is already mounted on /run/lock
<empty line>
mount: according to mtab, tmpfs is already mounted on /run/shm
<empty line>

on restarts the shutdown list is what's nearly always shown me something to do with a warning or failure of mounting something.

error message arrives after:

deconfiguring network interfaces...done

error message =

unmounting temporary filesystems...unmount: /var/run device is busy
(in some cases useful info about the process use the device
can be found by isof(8) or fuser(1))
FAILED.

hope that helps.

*update: took out the rem in fstab and the drive mounts no problem and i see no difference between restarting messages either way...perhaps i should relabel the thread or something, but i'm not sure where to go with this...actually i'm going to retask this as i have another fresh install ?

Return to “LMDE Archive”