LMDE & Bumblebee

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kristof

LMDE & Bumblebee

Post by kristof »

I'm running LMDE on a Dell Vostro 3750 with Bumblebee installed to support the Nvidia Optimus stuff. The only time I really want to use the Nvidia card is when dual booting into Windows. I'm a little confused though, as I thought Bumblebee's power management allowed you to do just that, i.e. use only the Intel card unless a program was specifically launched using optirun. However I find when randomly checking the status of the card here and there that often it's been turned on for reasons unclear to me:

Code: Select all

kristof@kristof ~ $ more /proc/acpi/bbswitch 
0000:01:00.0 ON
I've been turning it off using

kristof@kristof ~ $ sudo rmmod nvidia
[sudo] password for kristof: 
kristof@kristof ~ $ sudo tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<OFF
OFF
which appears to work fine. Does anyone know of a better 'permanent' solution to instruct Bumblebee never to turn on the card unless I explicitly ask for it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
reidiculous

Re: LMDE & Bumblebee

Post by reidiculous »

Hola Kristof,

I experienced something similar, here are 2 things you should check:

1. make sure the bumblebeed daemon is running - if not, the card will be on. the bumblebee install gives you an init startup script
2. see the module options on bbswitch page and set both states to 0

Hope this helps
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

Turn it off for good.
Disable NVIDIA in Optimus and run Integrated Intel graphics only:
http://main.solusos.com/showthread.php? ... Priority-1
Debian 11 Bullseye Xfce: HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

See also http://main.solusos.com/showthread.php? ... us-Support
the links to install Bumblebee on Squeeze and Wheezy (in SolusOS 1 & 2) have a better fix if this problem persists:

The following is a fix (avoids libvdpau probe activating Nvidia GPU) that ensures the NVIDIA card stays OFF when not in use by optirun.

Enter your username where appears $USER:

# echo 'DEVPATH=="/module/nvidia", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/rm  /dev/nvidia0 /dev/nvidiactl"' >>  /etc/udev/rules.d/99-nvidiactl.rules
# usermod -a -G video $USER
# update-initramfs -u
Debian 11 Bullseye Xfce: HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA

Return to “LMDE Archive”