Thinkpad no sound, folks I'm lost ....

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jcarpenter

Thinkpad no sound, folks I'm lost ....

Post by jcarpenter »

I was having problems with my girlfriends machine, so I updated her machine to Mint 13. Problems went away.

I have been have the blue-people problem on my thinkpad for awhile but never encountered a solution that worked, so I decided to install Mint 13 on my W520. Unfortunately, during the install, I've lost sound. I pulled up a terminal and did "lspci" and got this:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

But it seems I can't get back sound. Any ideas would be really appreciated......
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Thinkpad no sound, folks I'm lost ....

Post by bimsebasse »

Go to

System Settings > Sound > Hardware

Select the High Def Audio Controller and set it to "off"in the profile drop-down menu at the bottom
jcarpenter

Post by jcarpenter »

bimsebasse wrote:Go to

System Settings > Sound > Hardware

Select the High Def Audio Controller and set it to "off"in the profile drop-down menu at the bottom

I turned off the hi-def audio and rebooted. Still no joy -- sound missing. Sure appreciate your efforts. More ideas please?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Try to "un-off" it and see if you can get any sound at all when you select built-in audio and HD audio from the the Output tab same place
jcarpenter

Post by jcarpenter »

I reinstalled and still no joy. Then I turned off the hi-def audio and turned off the machine for *30 seconds*. On reboot, the sound came up just fine. Prior to this, I was only waiting ~ 15 seconds before restart.

Thanks for the info and effort folks......

Return to “Sound”