Compiz Fusion not working right - Mint13 MATE

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kytx

Compiz Fusion not working right - Mint13 MATE

Post by kytx »

Hi people. I'm running Mint 13 x64 and trying to get Compiz working. I followed steps described there: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919 but do not have Compiz working right.

1) Workspace shifter has only 1 desktop each time I login. My 4 horizontally aligned workplaces never remain
2) After making back 4 desktops when I click on desktops 2-4 It will show me no desktop shortcuts, only wallpaper and Mint panel from where I can try to run a program but it will start on desktop 1
3) When using mouse to rotate cube it will look like a plane instead of a cube. It will show, however useable shortcuts on the desktops 2-4 and I can even run programs on those desktops
4) All the graphic effects seem to be working
5) some keyboard shortcuts for compiz don't work - can be irrelevant though

Did I do anything wrong?

PS: even if I make 4 desktops it looks like I have only 2 because I cannot get to 3-4 by rotating cube with mouse

UPDATE01:
Made cube look like cube by going to general options -> desktop size but it still won't let me run a program in #2-4 and clicking desktops on switcher will make desktop shortcuts disappear

UPDATE02:
Getting interesting - size of the virtual desktop has actually nothing to do with it, it is the size of EXPO plugin space. But after I turned the figures back in it's settings, all 4 desktops now have their icons. But still all the programms open in desktop 1.

UPDATE03:
After some random search I resolved problems with desktop cube, but I still dot't know what settings to change to fix the following:
1) I cannot start an app in desktops 2-4, but I can move windows to them
2) Windows in desktops other that current do not show in workspace switcher
3) Ring application switcher 'sees' only windows within current desktop
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vermontbear
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Compiz Fusion not working right - Mint13 MATE

Post by vermontbear »

On my setup, I got the switcher and the application startup to work properly by dropping the number of desktops back to 1 under /General Options/Desktop Size.

That may or may not help you, though if I test right now, jump back up to 4, then everything goes to heck. Jump back to 1, stuff works.

Problem is there are still pieces of Gnome 3 and Unity lurking under everything.

Cheers,
J
Asus M2N32-SLIDeluxe, AM2-7200+, nVidia 9800GX2, 4 x 2000 DDR2 - still solid!
Mint 18.1 - 64 ... and a bunch other VMs.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”