[SOLVED] LMDE 201204 - Photo Thumbnails - available?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lkraemer

[SOLVED] LMDE 201204 - Photo Thumbnails - available?

Post by lkraemer »

I've installed Linux Mint 201204 - LMDE and I've noticed that my subdirectory for Pictures doesn't display a thumbnail for the jpg's, png's and bmp's
that are stored there.

Is there a way to get a small thumbnail view of every photo file stored in my Pictures subdirectory, so I don't have to open each one looking for the
information I want?

Thunar appears to have a tick box for displaying the thumbnails, and if I use G-Thumb to create a view of the thumbnails, I can toggle
that view in Thunar with the tick box.

But on the next boot they are not displayed. Is this a BUG?

Thanks.

Larry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE 201204 - Photo Thumbnails - available?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

Please use the little exclamation icon in the top right of a post to notify the moderators it needs action (moving to another section, moderating as it is spam or otherwise breaking the forum rules). Thanks :wink:
lkraemer

Re: LMDE 201204 - Photo Thumbnails - available?

Post by lkraemer »

I've found a temporary solution to get the thumbnail's displayed for the pictures, via Google.
Open FILE MANAGER -> EDIT -> PREFERENCES
VIEW NEW FOLDERS --- Set for ICON VIEW

Open a Terminal Window from your lower left menu and Copy & Paste these commands one at a time, then press ENTER

Code: Select all

sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
thunar -q
You will need to open each Photo once to get the thumbnail displayed. After you open the Photo's, and the thumbnails appear
they should be available on the next powerup. The thumbnails will be stored at:

Code: Select all

loggedinuser/.thumbnails/normal/
lk
lkraemer

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE 201204 - Photo Thumbnails - available?

Post by lkraemer »

If you open Thunar in LMDE 201204, (the File Manager) then you can Customize it. Once in the Customize screen
click on the PLUS, and add according to the attached Photo's.

When your done, go back and click on the Create_Thumbnails so it is Highlighted, then Click on
the UP ARROW to Move it to the top of the Menu Selections.

Then, you can open any Subdirectory, Highlight what you want and then Right Click and Generate the Thumbnails.
You will have to close several windows......

It doesn't drill down into multiple folders, so you might have to keep opening folders and repeating the process, for some folders.
v1.png
v2.png
v3.png
Larry
lkraemer

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE 201204 - Photo Thumbnails - available?

Post by lkraemer »

It appears that Thunar Version 1.4.0 has this BUG fixed, along with several others.

Larry

Return to “LMDE Archive”