Internet Works, Intranet Doesn't

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
groomsy

Internet Works, Intranet Doesn't

Post by groomsy »

I have Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon installed on a Thinkpad T420. On my office network, I'm able to connect to the internet without a problem. However, our office has internal websites (an internal Jira for instance) that I cannot pull up. I'm able to hit this instance on my Windows partition, on my MacBook Pro, and on my iPhone as long as I'm connected to our network. Even though I'm connected to the same network on the Linux install, I am unable to hit the Jira instance. When I try to pull up our internal Jira on my Thinkpad, I'm taken to the DuckDuckGo search results page (as though Firefox decided that it couldn't find it, so it treated it as a search). Any ideas?

Thanks,

Todd
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HiTechRedneck82

Re: Internet Works, Intranet Doesn't

Post by HiTechRedneck82 »

Is Linux pointing to different DNS servers for some reason? It may not be able to resolve the internal IP address correctly.

Can you ping the IP of the internal resource from Linux?
groomsy

Post by groomsy »

When I run the host command on my Linux box, it shows that my DNS is 127.0.0.1#53. When I run it on my Mac, it shows that my DNS is 10.2.42.41#53. So it seems as though this may be the problem? I've searched for a way to edit the DNS on the Linux box and the consensus seems to be editing /etc/resolv.con. However, this file isn't showing up on my laptop. Is there a different way of doing this in Linux Mint?

I'm going to go ahead and apologize here; I'm pretty new to all of this and I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Thank you for your time and your input.

EDIT: I guess what I'm really after, is a way to tell my laptop to use the router's DNS settings? I found this http://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/ which explains a bit of my problem. I tried disabling dnsmasq, but that did not work (caused everything to fail look-ups).

EDIT 2: OK, when I use the

Code: Select all

nm-tool
command, it shows the same DNS servers as my Mac. When I use the

host
command, it shows the 127.0.0.1#53. So this has me quite perplexed. I should also include here that if I ping the IP address on my Linux machine, it works correctly (the IP address of our internal Jira instance). However, if I use the name, it fails. So I'm pretty sure the problem exists with the look-up.

Todd
groomsy

Post by groomsy »

After some trial and error, I finally got this fixed.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=103143

One of the solutions in the aforementioned thread worked for me. I used the following command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
After running that command and a restart, everything started working. It was a bit of an odd problem and this was made even more difficult when I didn't know how to search for a solution (not exactly sure what the issue was or what to look for).

Thanks for the DNS direction HiTechRedneck82.

Thanks,

Todd
HiTechRedneck82

Post by HiTechRedneck82 »

No problem, glad to hear you got it resolved.
nixIT

Post by nixIT »

I am too having problems with this. None of my local DNS is working.

I followed the steps on this thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=103143&start=20
added nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and rebooted --- No change, can't ping by name, only IP address
added nameservers in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head and rebooted --- No change, can't ping by name, only IP address
commented out dns-dnsmasq in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf. --- No change, can't ping by name, only IP address
ran

sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
-- No change, can't ping by name, only IP address

what have I missed?

--nixIT
groomsy

Post by groomsy »

nixIT,

Unfortunately, my Linux/Network-Fu is pretty weak, but it might be the new dnsmasq feature interfering with your hosts file. You might try disabling it (steps can be found here http://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/).

I'm not certain if that's your problem or not, but it's worth a shot. I hadn't added anything to my hosts file when I ran the dpkg-reconfigure command. Just running that command fixed my issue.

Good luck,

Todd
nixIT

Post by nixIT »

Thanx for responding @groomsy
groomsy wrote:nixIT,

Unfortunately, my Linux/Network-Fu is pretty weak, but it might be the new dnsmasq feature interfering with your hosts file. You might try disabling it (steps can be found here http://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/).

I'm not certain if that's your problem or not, but it's worth a shot. I hadn't added anything to my hosts file when I ran the dpkg-reconfigure command. Just running that command fixed my issue.

Good luck,

Todd
Thanx, I already turned off dnsmasq, have put in my DNS information in /etc/resolv.conf did a restart of network services and even a shutdown...wait...restart of the system, still can't ping local resources by name only ip address.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
I am running with a static IP address, should it contain information for eth0? should it also contain the DNS information that is mentioned in the link you sent? If so, I'm not sure what to put in there.

If I can't solve this, may have to roll back to Lisa.

--nixIT
groomsy

Post by groomsy »

nixIT,

My interfaces file matches your exactly. Have you tried re-enabling dnsmasq after making those changes? My dnsmasq is enabled. I am also using a dynamic IP (I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not). I would try re-enabling dnsmasq and maybe try a dynamic IP. If it works with a dynamic IP then perhaps it's something to do with the static IP? I wouldn't think it would make a difference, but I've seen stranger things in life.

Apparently when I reconfigured my network, my resolv.conf was updated with this line:

search int._company_name_.com
This is the internal domain we use for our sites. That had to have been added when I reconfigured. Maybe move your resolv.conf and then reconfigure it so that it's generated again for you?

Thanks,

Todd
nixIT

Post by nixIT »

@Todd,

Thanx, I renenabled dnsmasq and then deleted resolv.conf, reconfigured and then rebooted. Still can't resolv internet names via ping or browser. going to switch to a dynamic IP address to see if that makes a difference.

--nixIT

EDIT: just switched to dynamic IP address and now I can resolve internal names. Would prefer this to work with a static IP address, Is there a way I can get this to work with a static IP address?

--nixIT
groomsy

Post by groomsy »

nixIT wrote:@Todd,

Thanx, I renenabled dnsmasq and then deleted resolv.conf, reconfigured and then rebooted. Still can't resolv internet names via ping or browser. going to switch to a dynamic IP address to see if that makes a difference.

--nixIT

EDIT: just switched to dynamic IP address and now I can resolve internal names. Would prefer this to work with a static IP address, Is there a way I can get this to work with a static IP address?

--nixIT
I'm happy that you figured out a workaround. Unfortunately, that's a bit above my head. Hopefully someone else has an idea. That may be worth splitting into a new topic though as it's specific to static IPs.

Thanks,

Todd
rjlohman

Post by rjlohman »

So, first of all, I really like Mint, but there are tons of posts on this everywhere. I get that Ubuntu doesn't get it - if they did, their userbase wouldn't be running away for a better interface. But Mint? C'mon! EVERYONE with internal DNS is having this problem. Now, I am finding that the dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf / dhclient -v solution isn't even permanent - I have to do it every couple of weeks, or I lose access again to all my internal services. Why can't we stop breaking stuff that works!?! What is this, Microsoft?

Return to “Networking”