pre qestions for simple file share procedure[SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wm_domino

pre qestions for simple file share procedure[SOLVED]

Post by wm_domino »

i've run through this process a few times and would like to finalize this process for me please.

while these are the instructions i've been using:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 18#p315218 &
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=88255

my first questions is, where exactly should i place the lines in the global section?

Code: Select all
usershare allow guests = yes
map to guest = Bad user

i seriously doubt the actual placement ever generated any of my errors, but i sure would like to do this proper; to include rem lines please.

after completing the process a few times, it seems since this respin (or loss of controls/options from samba) the line in smb.conf referencing the workgroup name still reads default 'workgroup'...should i not change this when entering the above lines as well?

there is reference to making the name resolve order in smb.conf function in a better/more appropriate way, should i also not change this now?

i suppose i will load all the possible permutations for configuring the thunar custom actions, is there any way to put them all in 1 pop-up submenu under the edit list?

would it not be good practice to head problems off at the pass and add the "force user = you" part? (i would appreciate some additional info for stupid ppl on this as i would like to create a permanent share of a removable drive that won't always be plugged in).

thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: pre qestions for simple file share procedure

Post by altair4 »

my first questions is, where exactly should i place the lines in the global section?

usershare allow guests = yes
map to guest = Bad user
It doesn't really matter where you put those as long as they are in the [global] section. What I usually do is put all the global additions right under the workgroup line so that I can see at a glance what I've aded.
after completing the process a few times, it seems since this respin (or loss of controls/options from samba) the line in smb.conf referencing the workgroup name still reads default 'workgroup'...should i not change this when entering the above lines as well?
I have no idea what that means.
there is reference to making the name resolve order in smb.conf function in a better/more appropriate way, should i also not change this now?
If you are referring to putting bcast first the answer is yes.
would it not be good practice to head problems off at the pass and add the "force user = you" part? (i would appreciate some additional info for stupid ppl on this as i would like to create a permanent share of a removable drive that won't always be plugged in).
If the external USB drive is formatted in ntfs or fat32 you really don't have much choice since it will automatically mount with access enabled only to you so yes add the "force user = you" to the [global] parameter. That's assuming you're using a usershare of course.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

altair4 wrote:
I have no idea what that means.

after completing this process previously i noticed that in my smb.conf file, the line still read the default (workgroup = WORKGROUP). in the past i know this line was changed to read my actual workgroup name auto at some point to (workgroup = In-Hock). i just can't say as to when, it may have been after i've run through instructions for adding gigolo.

should i just change this now while adding the lines to global for allowing guest access?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Only if you feel the need to change the workgroup from the default otherwise leave it alone.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

"feel" ??

so it will function properly as is? i'm trying to make as few changes as possible to eliminate errors i keep generating, normally i would change this just because it's wrong, i don't use the default workgroup name.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Having all the workgroup match is not a requirement if all of your machines are in the same subnet - meaning all of your machines are connected to the same router. It is convienent however to have them match only becasue they will show up in one group when you browse from another Linux machine. Otherwise you will see several workgroups and have to drill down each one to find shares.

If you are going to change the workgroup of your Mint box now is the time to do it. Make as many changes as necessary all at once when you first set this up becasue each time you change smb.conf it requires you to restart the samba daemon:

sudo service samba restart
And everytime you restart samba there is a delay ( 5 to sometimes 15 minutes depending on how many machines are on the lan ) before the network is ready for file sharing.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

awesome! thank you very much for the clarifications. you have been wonderful.

when i go to add the custom configurations for thunar, is it possible to generate a folder for them and have them listed under a pop/drop style (like the location selector in the view drop down menu) menu rather than making my edit list long?

it would be sweet if i could add it to it's own section in the edit list (similar to dupe-rename).
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm not sure what your asking for. If you mean a sub context menu like the one that appears in Nautilus I'm sure that could be done. Perhaps using Zenity or something.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

then it's for later. thanks again!!

Return to “LMDE Archive”