Unable to change theme on Gnome Shell

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to change theme on Gnome Shell

Post by Kikito »

Hey all!

I've been trying to run Gnome Shell on Maya, and while it works mostly flawlessly, I've encounter a few snags:

I am not able to change themes for Gnome Shell. I tried at first installing the User Theme extension, but when I did, Advances Settings (gnome-tweak-tool) doesn't even want to load. Then I tried to do it manually by moving the theme folder to .theme but to no avail. In fact, no matter what I put in the ,theme folder, the option to change theme in Advanced Settings is grayed out with an orange exclamation point to the left of the field.

Any help/pointing in the right direction would be immensely appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Unable to change theme on Gnome Shell

Post by bimsebasse »

Did you install the user theme extension from the extensions.org website? For some reason that creates a conflicts with Gnome Tweak Tool

This procedure worked for me: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&p=595892 - try to uninstall and remove your website installed user theme extension and follow the steps in the link
Last edited by bimsebasse on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

Darn, that was a fast reply! It worked like a charm, bimsebasse! Thank you!

Also, where did that Mint-Z theme come from? It sure as hell wasn't there in Lisa! I love it!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I'm happy you managed to get sense out of my garbled sentences :D

Mint-Z was also the default theme in Lisa but they updated it for Maya (gave it Gnome 3.4 compatibility).
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

Ah! They must have changed the "Activities" icon and maybe messed with the colors a bit. Still, I like it enough to keep it for a while at least. I'm a compulsive theme changer, after all.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Ah, now i get what you mean, thought you meant Window Theme. No the Mint-Z shell theme is no more, what you're seeing is the native default Gnome Shell theme, no Mint modding.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

No, it really is Mint-z. It says so. Also, there's a Mint logo where the "infinity" logo used to be (Activities corner). It really might be just an update of the one used in Lisa.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That would just be the theme from Mint 12 then, they abandoned all work on MGSE including shell theme a good while ago (late last year).
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

Ah, well. I still like it even if it's not "new". Thanks, man I appreciate the help!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Just be aware as Mint-Z is not maintained it will be outdated at some point, it should already be behind (gnome 3.2 shell theme for Gnome 3.4 shell) and show some signs of it.

Return to “Software & Applications”