Conky disappearing from desktop

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redhatted

Conky disappearing from desktop

Post by redhatted »

Having my Linux Mint installation for just a week now and loving it.
Only problem I've been having is with my Conky setup.

Each time I hit Win + D to show my Desktop , Conky disappears. Clicking on show Desktop icon doesn't have that effect though.
The thing is I'm really used on that shortcut and I wonder if there's a solution to that.

My conky configuration is:

Code: Select all

background yes
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type normal
own_window_hints undecorate,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
border_inner_margin 0
border_outer_margin 0
alignment tr

draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
I've tried own_window_type override but it didn't help. Changing some things on own_window_hints didn't help either.
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Conky disappearing from desktop

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
edtheuniquegeek

Post by edtheuniquegeek »

redhatted wrote:Having my Linux Mint installation for just a week now and loving it.
Only problem I've been having is with my Conky setup.

Each time I hit Win + D to show my Desktop , Conky disappears. Clicking on show Desktop icon doesn't have that effect though.
The thing is I'm really used on that shortcut and I wonder if there's a solution to that.

My conky configuration is:

background yes
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type normal
own_window_hints undecorate,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
border_inner_margin 0
border_outer_margin 0
alignment tr

draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
I've tried own_window_type override but it didn't help. Changing some things on own_window_hints didn't help either.
Any ideas?
Did you try?

own_window_type desktop
redhatted

Post by redhatted »

I 've tried it.
It half works. It doesn't minimize Conky when I hit Win + D but it minimizes it when I click on my desktop.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I am only 3 weeks into Linux and a lot less with conky. I have tried changing own_window_type to desktop (use that now), normal, override or any other variable I found suggested. If I have any window open ( terminal, firefox, text file) and I click on an empty spot on the desktop, conky disappears. If I do the same thing but have any open window minimized to taskbar conky does not disappear. A solution would be nice, but for now I just don't click on the desktop with anything else open.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Quick update. I have found nothing relevant searching the net or in changing anything obvious in my .conf file. However, if I keep my .conf file open, click the desktop, conky disappears. If I then click 'save' on the .conf file conky reappears. Typing 'restart conky' from alt+f2 will not bring it back. Why does the save bring it back?

Also, what the heck is the technical term for alt+f2. Is that a command box?
fallen1011

Post by fallen1011 »

i have the same problem with simalr code to yours, and have not found any solutions....ive also not had sound for 3 yrs with linux, no one can figure it out soo i just deal with this crap *yet if i used windows i wouldnt have these problems)
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

I don’t know what Win + D means. This does nothing in my setup.

But for a working conky setup for cinnamon, I suggest you used these settings from wyrdoak to start with,

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 74#p591674

And if they work, then you have a start for modifying your own script.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
fallen1011

Post by fallen1011 »

found the solution- its called pinguy OS, everything you need is already done and all the same software pretty much is on there, so, thats it for me,
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I think I fixed it. So far Conky will not disappear no matter what I click on or what is open.

own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
#own_window_type desktop
own_window_hints undecorated,above,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
#own_window_transparent yes
own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_argb_value 0

That whole own_window_type desktop,normal,override etc does not seem to work properly for everyone. I got rid of it and so far so good.

Hey, how do I get that cute little code:select all box to appear in my post.
HughT

Post by HughT »

Hey, how do I get that cute little code:select all box to appear in my post.
If you look at the top of the text box you'll see a number of options for editing your text - bold italic underline quotes code list etc. Click on the one you want and type your text between the pair of square brackets.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”