cant select a lower burn speed other than 10x speed?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
realflow100

cant select a lower burn speed other than 10x speed?

Post by realflow100 »

i tried every disk burning software that i could possibly find.. i even installed wine and downloaded some windows disk burning software but nothing lets me write a disk image lower than 10x speed!!! (no option to! only 10x speed and maximum speed) PLEASE HELP ME I CANT INSTALL OR BOOT UP FROM A DISK BECAUSE MY DISKS GIVE ME ERRORS BECAUSE I CANT BURN IT AT 1X SPEED!

edit: please help i cant install any OS if i cant burn it at 1x speed!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
realflow100

Re: cant select a lower burn speed other than 10x speed?

Post by realflow100 »

Pleeease help me! I keep getting corrupted files when trying to install an operating system! :(
even audio CD's sound bad (extremely skippy sounding and audio keeps stopping and starting) because i cant burn the CD's at a slower speed!
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Can you boot from a USB on the computer you're trying to install on?

Sounds like you need a new disc drive!
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerry N »

Quote: "Can you boot from a USB on the computer you're trying to install on?
Sounds like you need a new disc drive!"

Or a better brand of discs!
I normally burn CDs at about 40x and DVDs at the maximum speed possible, using Nero in both Win 7 and Mint. When I start having trouble I replace the drive which I haven't had to do for some time. Drives are cheap, and that is both the bad news and the good news. Being cheap they don't last too long although I have been using my current Plextor and Asus drives for quite a while. I don't use the cheapest "white box" discs.

Jerry
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

i dont know anything about CD drives and I'm using a laptop so replacing the CDrom drive is out of the question
what kind of CD's do i buy???? i have buyed 700MB CD-RW disks i buy from walmart in a pack of 10??
and no i cant boot from a usb flash drive i dont have any USB ports!!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

CD drives in laptops are fairly standard, except if you're using an IBM/Lenovo laptop. You can just remove one screw at the bottom of the laptop and take out the drive.

Why wouldn't you be able to boot from a disc burned at 10x? Of course slower burnt discs may work better but if a drive can only burn at 10x it'll be able to do so reliably.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerry N »

realflow100 wrote:i dont know anything about CD drives and I'm using a laptop so replacing the CDrom drive is out of the question
what kind of CD's do i buy???? i have buyed 700MB CD-RW disks i buy from walmart in a pack of 10??
and no i cant boot from a usb flash drive i dont have any USB ports!!
I don't know anything about the disks that Walmart sells but I quit using -RW disks a long time ago. In my opinion you would be better off with CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R. I buy Maxell, Verbatim, and Memorex disks in spindles of 100 when they are on sale at Best Buy, OfficeMax, etc.

No USB ports? What kind of a laptop are you using?

Jerry
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

DVD drives should be able to burn RW discs slower than R discs. One of the drives in my old computer limits to 2.4x read/write when it detects an RW disc.

Also, replacing a drive in a laptop is not such a problem. You just unscrew one screw at the bottom of the laptop, and you can take out the drive. The front of the old drive can be clicked onto the new drive.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

In K3b you can set the speed manually .. :wink:
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Thanks for reminding me. I thought it were maybe possible with some program but didn't know that K3b could do this.
My drives have decent burning speeds (2.4x or 4x) by default so I never used that option.

@realflow100: The screenshot is in Finnish or something like that, of course you will see K3b in your own language when installing it on Mint.

Or do you want a Windows program to burn your Mint disc? ImgBurn can maybe do it.
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

I tried k3b but it says my drive is not supported at burning at 1x speed! it resets it to 10x by itself whenever I try to force it to use 1x speed!!! and when i try to copy the files that i had burnt onto the CD over half of them are corrupted and unreadable because 10x is too fast and i mean WAY TO FAST to burn a disk iso image!
my laptop CDROM drive is soldered to my laptop motherboard i already tried that but it wont budge so a new CDROM drive is out of the question.. and there are NO usb ports on my laptop its a VERY old laptop but very fast (used to have windows 2000 on it) then i upgraded to linux mint and it works flawlessly but i wanted a different operating system other than linux mint.. i was gonna try puppy linux but i cant burn a CD!
and I tried 3kb AND imgburn but NEITHER of them worked i STILL had tromendous amount of errors when trying to copy the burnt files off of the disk! no matter what option i selected (it wont go to 1x speed it says its not supported) it always has over half of the files horribly corrupted!!

and i ain't gonna spend a hundred dollers to burn a CD drive i would be better off buying a whole new computer which i dont want to do because IM ONLY 14 I DONT KNOW ANY OF THIS STUFF SORRY :( i dont have the money for that!! my CD has no scratches on it at all either! why does it say it can't burn at 1x speed??? it says the media isn't compatible!! and on one of my friends computers the CD easily burned at 1x speed with NO problem but he moved away and now when i try to burn the disk i cant burn it at anything other than 10x speed!! HELP!!!!!
and how the crap do you mount a .vdi virtual disk drive image so i can access the files in it?? windows 7 has the ability to do this but i dont have windows 7! can someone please tell me how to mount a .vdi (without huge amounts of stupid complling and coding and crap cuz i dont know how to do any of that and im too lazy to even try) i just want it to be as simple as double clicking on the .vdi file to open it and explore it as if it was a hard drive... the only program i could find was winmount but it doesnt give me an option to mount the drive because im not using windows!! it doesnt work properly using wine and it gives program crash errors! OH MY GOSH PLEASE HELP ME MY LIFE IS SO MISREBLE! :(
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Well...I would suggest finding a friend who has a drive...or maybe going to a library or some other place with computers you can use.

Also if you're looking to try a new (assumedly lighter [since you're looking at puppy]) OS, I would suggest checking out peppermintos: http://www.peppermintos.com/
The latest version right now is 2, but version 3 should be coming out sometime this week :)

As far as mounting the .vdi goes, there are ways. I'd suggest googling around for them. Be forwarned though: they will most likely take some time with typing in Terminal commands and such. Here's one way someone found out to do it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=871367 (post number 6 looks good.)

If you need help with understanding commands or more detailed instructions, feel free to ask. :)

EDIT: I found this tool http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/nat ... use.1.html
It can be installed with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-fuse
in a terminal.
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

ok im trying that now for my .vdi files i copied and pasted it into a terminal (dont like typing lol) i hate even opening the terminal for ANYTHING because to me its like trying to teach a dog english

um i didnt want virtual box.. i wanted to to install windows on my REAL computer but i already have a .vdi with the windows install files installed onto it (but not fully installed to the desktop.. just the setup portion is on it and i wanted to take all the files out of the .vdi and copy them onto one of my real physical hard drives so that i can boot up from that hard drive and finish the setup that way.
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

I think that when you install that, it will also install the tool shown in that link. You should then be able to use that tool to mount the .vdi file :)
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

how do i use the tool to mount my .vdi located at /home/username/downloads (file name in the downloads folder is winxp.vdi ? and how do i open the folder so i can view the files and copy them onto my phsical drive?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can't make a Windows installation working by just copying all files out of it. Or don't you want that?

If you want to run this Windows, you'd better load it in Virtualbox.
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Open a terminal and type:

mkdir virtual
(This creates a folder named "virtual" in your user's folder)

Then type

vdfuse -w -f ~/Downloads/thenameofthefile.vdi ~/virtual
That should mount it at /home/username/virtual :)
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

It say's cannot access image file PLEASE HELP!
even tried using sudo command but it still didnt work!
i can barely run linux mint i have 512MB ram i can't run a virtual machine i dont have enough RAM my computer would freeze up sooo badly if i tried that
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

What is the name of the file? And it's stored in the Downloads directory right?
realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

winxp.vdi (i used another app to look at the file it said it had one partition (that had windows installed on it) and the file size is 24.57GB in size with a huge amount of block sector whatever thats supposed to mean :P but i couldn't actually open the file or mount it in any way

and yes its stored in my user's download directory
Last edited by realflow100 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux”