Mint Spirit Fonts

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hirwen

Mint Spirit Fonts

Post by hirwen »

Hi to all

The final Alfa release of the Mint Spirit fonts family is available to download :
http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/fonts/MintSpirit-Dev.zip

This fonts family is made in order to replace Ubuntu default fonts in LMDE and given to your LinuxMint desktop its own identity...
Mint Spirit design rises in inspiration from Futura, Gillius, NeoGothis and Ubuntu fonts, keeping in mind to obtain a clear, fresh, nice and modern typeface usable for text and screen rendering, based on the LinuxMint logo.
Fonts from Alfa source are hinted and a standard kerning table is add. All the special typographical fields of scribus are also available. OT features aren't completed.
The default license used is GNU GPL V2 with font exception, but a possible change for the final release to the OFL one is considered.
The Zip archive includes a PDF file made with Scribus to see fonts in action or as a quick preview.
Beta release is under development and will insert:
- Support for Central and East Europa, Turkish.
- dnum, num, sup, inf lining figures
- Oldstyle and other glyphs variations.
- Complete OT features

EDIT: 2011/10/25
This is a personal work and not supported, sponsored by the official Linux Mint Team. This hopefully will cut short what has been written about it on the web.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hirwen

Re: Mint Spirit Fonts

Post by hirwen »

Hi to all

Thank you all for your supports and messages. I am very surprised to see the interest you have shown to this project, even if it is not very visible here. I recall that it makes no part of an officiel development project .
Given the situation, I provide a new link to the development of the Beta. This new release has evolved somewhat since I was very careful to consider your comments, even if it is not possible to satisfy everyone, and that wasn't the first objective...
Warning, this is a pre-release, even if it is usable. :)

The most important changes:
- The design of the A, a(italic), V, W, m, n, v, w. Ligatures, ffj fj, ffi, fi. These changes are intended to improve the lissibilité.
- Support for Central and Eastern Europe, Turkey and a few additions like Q.alt
- Dnun, num, sup, inf and old style
- OpenType support is not complete, waiting for that final version to insert all the elements contained into fonts and avoid unnecessary work.

From your posts, I also used for the next development:
- Typographic ornaments "mint leaves". I think that the idea is very original and it should not be a problem to do.
- Additional liga: fb, ch etc...
- Additional support for African

Note 1 : Greek and Cyrillic will be inserted after the RC

Note 2: For those who asked about the .asc file : it's a public signature detached, inserted in fonts.

Link to the pre-release : http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/fonts/MintSpirit-PV.zip
t3g

Post by t3g »

Why did you go with GPL v2 instead of GPL v3?
hirwen

Post by hirwen »

The real entitled is : GNU GPL v2 and later with font exception..
It' s a line included in the build script, used for all fonts, and I never found it necessary to change it.
But there are great chances that MinSpirit be published in final form under OFL.
hirwen

Post by hirwen »

Hi to all

The beta release of the MintSpirit fonts is available. I recall that it makes no part of any official development project.
http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/fonts/MintSpirit-PV.zip

Changes and additions
- Finally, as many asked off forum, I worked on Aze, balkan, Cyrillic and Greek characters sets before all. Some additions for Uralistic usage. Basic kerning is made for them. I will complete my kern pairs data to the final release. But enough for Cyrillic users to test.
- Some glyphs design changes : like "y" and "a, d, u" with italic styles. ( some don't like the previous "y" form, hum...)
- Xheigth is slightly rehanced (just enough).
- Additional ligatures (cl, ch, ck, sl, sh, sk, fb, etc...).
- Addition of the common "Caps" features like hyphen cap, parenright cap or left etc...
- Additional lining figures with tabolstyle and fitted (not tested)
- Alternate "Q"
- Mint leaves ornements available with two pairs (left and right -> See PDF)
- Opentype features for all compoments available from the fonts are included.

- Mint Spririt fonts use now the OFL license version 1.1.

Thanks
hirwen

Post by hirwen »

Good evening all

A preview for the Mint community, before Xmas.
http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/docs/MintSpirit-Cat.pdf (in french)
MintSpirit No2 should be able to satisfy those who were some glyphs too "modern"...
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Recorder »

Just downloaded and installed. Unique, yet not too unique. I like. Worked if I placed its folder in thetruetype folder, but not if I placed it in my opentype folder. Why?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Mint Spirit No.2 looks much better for me than No.1 hirwen. I'm used in reading, let me say traditional fonts, since 55 years
now. I can read it fluently. Modern fonts as in No.1 interrupts fluently reading for me. Because on a sidestep i have to think,
what letter is this, what letter is that. That disturbs the concentration on what i'm reading. Maybe for young people it's hard
to understand, the older humans become, the harder it is to change habits. In this sense, good work with No.2
hirwen

Post by hirwen »

The Recorder wrote :
Worked if I placed its folder in thetruetype folder, but not if I placed it in my opentype folder. Why?
Dependind how apps work with fonts folders. I use font-manager 0.5.7 to manage fonts. That solves some troubles with fonts uses.

Gerd50 wrote :
Modern fonts as in No.1 interrupts fluently reading for me
It's a design choice made at start, because it's exactly what I wanted for my desktop. But, that said, at a glance, and like somebody wrote me, "it will be nice to have a choice like Clem and the LinuxMint team did for gnome3, MATE, gnome shell in the Mint spirit"... I'm glad you like MintSpirit No2 and I hope to offer it to the community before Christmas.
Thanks
hirwen

Post by hirwen »

Hi to all

Mint Sprit and Mint Spirit No2 are now available as stable release:
http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/adffonts.html
- Minor corrections done.
- New kerning.
- Opentype features improved
- A new family : Mint Spirit No2 with glyphes changes for (A M N V W v w y) more conventional.

Merry Christmas
hirwen

Post by hirwen »

Hi all

A new version of Mintspirit collection (1.004) is available
- Minor corrections
- New OTF hinting
- A package TTF-AT for Mintysis :
--> Version TTF of MintSpirit lightly condensed using TTFautohint technie from freetype engine.
--> Including a medium weight (devel version) for who thinked the regular version to thin...
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Love how the update looks. I had snagged it back in November but completely forgot it was on my hard drive. Something tells me I've just found my new desktop font, and OTF's rather than TTF's, which appeals to my open-source-loving heart. Keep up the great work!
hirwen

Post by hirwen »

Happy to know you like it.
Mintysis is for now a test version rather than to be a final font production, working around TTF hintng and freetype. Italics are made using fast convertion, and need to be reworked... Next step.
hirwen

Post by hirwen »

Hi all
Mintspirit and Mintysis fonts are now availables separately.
- No change made to the OTFs versions.
- TTF version is now fixed, including medium (and medium italic) weights and using TTFautohint from freetype engine.
Please enjoy

Return to “LMDE Archive”