Applet request: LockKeys (displays CapsLock/NumLock status)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alan2001
Level 2
Level 2

Applet request: LockKeys (displays CapsLock/NumLock status)

Post by alan2001 »

Subject says it all!

Is there any chance of a talented individual creating an applet to replace the 'LockKeys' Gnome Shell extension, pretty please?

Just switched to Cinammon today, and I love it except for this not existing yet!

Thanks. Nice work on Cinnamon, by the way. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: Applet request: LockKeys (displays CapsLock/NumLock stat

Post by BrianD »

alan2001 wrote:Is there any chance of a talented individual creating an applet to replace the 'LockKeys' Gnome Shell extension, pretty please?
There is an extension already created and available at extensions.gnome.org -- did you not see it?
alan2001
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2001 »

Umm... maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

I had that extension installed already from the Gnome Shell Extensions site, and it had been working for ages. When I installed Cinnamon today it didn't show up in the panel, and I can't see any option to enable it, so I assumed it wasn't compatible with Cinnamon.

Help, please! :oops:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Gnome Shell Extensions might not work with Cinnamon; and they aren't tested as part of the Cinnamon development cycle. See Clem's comment here http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=119#comment-469. Cinnamon focusses on the more lightweight applets.

Probably taking the code of LockKeys for Gnome, and taking a Cinnamon applet that modifies its look on the panel, it could be relatively easy to cobble that together and convert it into an applet?
alan2001
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2001 »

Thanks for the confirmation!

As a Linux noob I wouldn't have a clue where to start doing this myself, so if someone out there can recreate it for Cinnamon they would have my undying gratitude!

For those of us using laptops with no LEDs to display CapsLock status, this is pretty essential and I'm really missing it. :idea:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Do you really use Caps Lock for something? Else for that one an alternative may be to switch the key off. Meny > System Tools > System Settings > Keyboard Layout > Layouts tab > Options button > Caps Lock key behaviour = Caps Lock is disabled (or one of the other options).
alan2001
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2001 »

Yes, people use Caps Lock all the time; this isn't needed just to indicate an accidental key press.

Thanks. :)
alan2001
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2001 »

You sir, are a hero!

I just posted this in the comments section:
wonderful! thanks very much for doing this. I don't know if you did it because of my request on the Mint forum, or if it was a coincidence, but I very much appreciate it! :-) It's even better than the original.
THANK YOU! :D
caseylinux

Post by caseylinux »

Any chance this might work on MATE (or be made to work on MATE in the near future)? I use CAPS lock constantly and am without any sort of indicator since my recent upgrade!

Thanks for any response/help!
zeke

Post by zeke »

This is a nice applet. Thanks for creating it. I have one issue with the colors. W/ the gray tool panel I have, the images for caps/numlock on are barely visible. I edited caps-on.svg and num-on.svg so I can see them, but it would be nice to be able to choose a color for the images from a gui.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

@caseylinux, Cinnamon applets don't work on MATE. MATE is based on GNOME 2, and for GNOME 2 there was the lock-keys-applet that did what you want. It hasn't been converted to MATE yet, so it doesn't work as of yet. You might head over to the MATE website, and post in the Brainstorm section of their forum the request to convert lock-keys-applet to MATE. http://mate-desktop.org/
caseylinux

Post by caseylinux »

@ Vincent
Thanks for the suggestion. I took my request to the MATE forum. :)
Paper Bag

Post by Paper Bag »

Dead link (applet became unmaintained/uncompatible?). What was that called and might it still work with some hacking?

Edit: this works: http://www.noobslab.com/2013/10/keylock ... linux.html
alan2001
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alan2001 »

Oh noes. I've just reinstalled 17.1 and the above link doesn't go anywhere. :(

Is there a mirror or an updated link? Pretty please?

There is another version by someone else (betterlock@entelechy) but it's giving me an error (problem loading). *cries*

Return to “Cinnamon”