How do I disable automount???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kingneutron

How do I disable automount???

Post by kingneutron »

How do I disable this Godforsaken automounter in Linux Mint 13 Mate??

I've set all the GUI settings that I could find, and even went so far as to download dconf-editor and do it there, and every time I reboot it mounts /dev/sr0 on /media!

I swear, stupid crap like this is the reason I mostly use Fluxbox, but I decided to give Mate a try. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michaelg14

Re: How do I disable automount???

Post by michaelg14 »

Go to configuration editor and under apps open caja/preferances and uncheck media automount and see if that is what you want.
gladsonvm

Post by gladsonvm »

goto menu-->system tools-->system settings. select the details under system.Then open removable media check the box 'Never prompt of start programs on media insertion'.
morris47

Post by morris47 »

I'm afraid none of these options appear to available in mint 14 cinnamon. I managed to change the value of UDISKS_PRESENTATION_NOPOLICY using a udev rule. I've gotten to the point where the file manager doesn't open when I insert a USB stick, but the volume is still being automounted. This is not a good thing for me as I often write out disk images to flash memory using dd.

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Steve
Essexraptor

Post by Essexraptor »

morris47 wrote:I'm afraid none of these options appear to available in mint 14 cinnamon. I managed to change the value of UDISKS_PRESENTATION_NOPOLICY using a udev rule. I've gotten to the point where the file manager doesn't open when I insert a USB stick, but the volume is still being automounted. This is not a good thing for me as I often write out disk images to flash memory using dd.

Any help appreciated. Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

deleted

i repeated the above.... but that does not work for USB drives

sorry mate :(
Ryhan_Ahamad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ryhan_Ahamad »

In Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, there is an option available. I don't know if this option is available for lower version or not.
Open File Manager, Then Go to "Edit" at top most left corner, then go to "Preference". In "Behaviour" Tab and non-check the option "Automatically mount removable media ......."
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-10-27 01-39-37.png
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

Ryhan_Ahamad wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:14 pm In Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, there is an option available.
You dug up an eight year old thread, congratulations

Return to “Beginner Questions”