[SOLVED]install & remove programs/ppa : for lmde xfce

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wm_domino

[SOLVED]install & remove programs/ppa : for lmde xfce

Post by wm_domino »

i have never noticed any difference when installing programs from the terminal, synaptic, or software managers, but i sure have seen a lot of posts that indicate they function differently. the formal 'how to' for the main edition doesn't indicate that; i get the following error when trying to do it their way:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/add-apt-repository", line 65, in <module>
if not sp.add_source_from_line(line):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 630, in add_source_from_line
(deb_line, file) = expand_ppa_line(line.strip(), self.distro.codename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 47, in expand_ppa_line
sourceslistd = apt_pkg.Config.find_dir("Dir::Etc::sourceparts")
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Config'

i think the majority of the reason why my trying to add a ppa from some website like banshee never worked is because i never guessed the correct version of ubuntu that corresponds to lmde xfce.

what about removing stuff from lmde xfce? will the apt-get autoclean and/or autoremove options work for us? in the past (before i didn't mind crashing the system each week) i just used the synaptic manager to hack away at everything from pulseaudio (which i still don't have a full answer to) to mintupload and a slew of things that looked like they would never be needed (bluetooth!!). perhaps using bleachbit (which i think will be used eventually anyway just to remove temp files) would be a better way?

is there something different for compiling tarballs in lmde xfce?? let's just say my attempt was a fiasco of restarting the compile process, install something via apt-get, .... and even tho it seemed to finish ok, i could never get it to fire up.

thanks very much!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: install & remove programs/ppa : for lmde xfce

Post by seppalta »

I mostly use Synaptic to remove applications. You can install a small system tool called upgrade-system using synaptic. Upgrade-system is configured to purge all packages that are not listed as another package's dependency. It has worked well for my LXDE Debian systems, removing dozens of unneeded libraries: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Debian.htm.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

i was wondering if that isn't the same thing as what bleachbit does. definitely on the try list i think.
do you have a diff link by chance? this one failed wot.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Description-en: command for upgrading and sanitizing a Debian system
Upgrade-system offers a convenient way to keep a Debian system up-to-date,
yet free from accumulated cruft such as obsolete libraries.
It is particularly useful on systems that mix packages from different
releases (stable/testing/unstable) and on desktop systems where packages
are frequently installed or removed according to evolving user tastes.
By default, it is configured to purge all packages that are not listed
as another package's dependency. Less drastic settings are possible by
editing /etc/upgrade-system.conf(5).
Homepage: http://q-funk.iki.fi
I would suggest following the advice on:
Debian Cleanup Tip #1: Get rid of useless configuration files - http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/01/31/de ... ion-files/

As for PPA's do not use any that are for Ubuntu/Mint on LMDE.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

craigevil, where is that quote from? is that the description for the upgrade-system tool suggested by seppalta?

also, is this tool the same as doing the (as your link shows) 'not installed residual config' purge from synaptic? (which isn't on my lmde xfce synaptic manager 0.70 oob)

if bleachbit does it also, then i'll be inclined to go with the gui way.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

holy cow! that upgrade-system command removed some stuff!! wow.

i was hoping to be able to just add specific ppa's that would get me just what i have to have, but i can't seem to do it.

first proggie i'd like to add is filezilla server. since i'll have the client on many of these machines i was hoping to just add it's ppa or whatever.

is there a program or set of commands that really really deletes stuff? 1/2 doz pulseaudio removal instructions don't work, and i still catch something trying to update it or find it listed in the start up group or ...

Return to “LMDE Archive”