Everything disapperears after 'service mdm stop'

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kiec

Everything disapperears after 'service mdm stop'

Post by Kiec »

Hello,

there are a lot of simmilar topics, but I have no found anyone where would be a problem like mine. I just bought a notebook with a graphic card „Nvidia Geforce G10M“ and installed Linux Mint 13 (32 bit, Cinnamon). Everything is working fine, but I can't run any game, which requires a 3D graphic acceleration, such as „World of Goo“, or „Amnesia“, or „Psychonauts“. Other game „Limbo“ is working fine.

I think, that my graphic card is not working properly. Therefore, I downloaded a driver from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html. I tried to install that, but I got a message, that I had to stop the X sever. So I wrote:

Code: Select all

sudo service mdm stop
This should stop the X server so I could install the driver. But there my problem comes. Everything dissapears and only black screen is seen without any command line. The only way to get out of this is to reset the computer.

It would be great if you could help me. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Everything disapperears after 'service mdm stop'

Post by xenopeek »

From where are you running this command? You should be running it from one of the virtual consoles. You can access those by pressing the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+F1 till Ctrl+Alt+F6 (there are six virtual consoles by default). X is at Ctrl+Alt+F7, but after you restart X from a virtual console (not reboot) it may be at Ctrl+Alt+F8 instead.
rindolphus

Post by rindolphus »

I am getting the exact same on an Acer with an nvidia geforce gt 630m. I go into one of the virtual consoles "Ctrl + alt + F1" for example and type:

sudo service mdm stop
And I just get a blinking cursor after that. Nothing will work, until I press the power button, then as if nothing, the shutdown sequence appears on screen, along with the "stopping mdm" thing, but it shuts down.
rindolphus

Post by rindolphus »

Thanks @jwalters, I came from there too and killall doesn't work either. However, I found on this thread the solution to the black screen: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=104843 It's on a post by HoppityBob.

Use:

sudo /etc/init.d/mdm stop
To stop mdm, instead of "sudo service mdm stop" or "sudo killall mdm" Oh, and if it goes black, just try Ctrl + alt + F1 or F2. It will work this time.

Make sure to follow the other blacklisting procedures on that thread before this.
FalconW.

Post by FalconW. »

I had the black screen problem for a while. However, after some tries, I could successfully shut down the "MDM service" with no problems. And let me tell you, it was so stupid thinking but it worked.

All I did was "Ctrl+Alt+F1" , then typed

top | less
and tryied to locate "mdm and Xorg services (but I am not sure if Xorg was necessary though)". Sprisingly, I found that I had tow "mdm services" , but you might have only one.

I, then, wrote their "PID"s and killed them using

sudo kill PID1 PID2 PID3
replacing PID1 with 1st mdm service, PID2 with 2nd mdm service, PID3 with Xorg service --again, you might have one mdm, so you may not need 3 PID Numbers--

Finally, I was been able to install my Nvidia Driver.

HOWEVER, I encountered a problem after installing the driver which prevented X server or mdm from starting.

The first time I encountered that problem, I had to try to fix is for two days before reinstalling Linux Mint.

However, the second time I encountered this article [url]http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/08/install-upgrade-nvidia-driver-325-15-in-ubuntu-and-linux-mint/[/url]

So, I in "Ctrl+Alt+F1" I browsed to where the "NVIDIA*.run" is and typed:

sudo ~/"Path to the Driver"/NVIDIA-Linux-*-331.20.run --uninstall
I then rebooted twice before I get everything the way they were.

I didn't see this solution in the internet, even after searching Google all day. So I decided to post it here so people might use for their convenience.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”