How to mount windows 8 partitions

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
godsotherhand

How to mount windows 8 partitions

Post by godsotherhand »

Could any1 help me to access my windows 8 partition?

You cant shutdown, it enters a modified form of hybernation (for faster start-up). Thus, Mint doesnt let me mount the partition, telling me to mount it with a certain mount option (cant remember it atm).

I did that, and it gave me no errors (in the terminal). However, the partition is now gone from my file manager, so i cant access it. Any1 help me access it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to mount windows 8 partitions

Post by karlchen »

Hello, godsotherhand.

Solve the primary problem: Instruct Windows 8 to shutdown and poweroff. On Windows 7 you can change a setting hidden somewhere in the energy options and instruct Windows that the default shutdown action really is shutdown completely and power off. I'd be amazed if this option had disappeared from Windows 8.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

I do not want to do this. The speed you gain is amazing (LMDE with LXDE boots in twice the time).

Anyway to open the partition (i only need read-only) as it is now?
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

Anyone?
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

KarlChen gave u the right idea. You need to shut down windows 8 normally, otherwise you may wreck your windows 8 installation if you attempt to mount and write to it in it's hibernated state. It needs to be shutdown completely in order to mount it cleanly to reduce that possibility. If you don't want to do that, we can't really help you, as we don't want to encourage you to destroy your windows installation. I hope you understand.
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

Well i dont want to write, i need to mount it at read only.. Also, it's not that hard to reinstall windows :P

Return to “Other topics”