[SOLVED]remote desktop for noobs on xfce

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wm_domino

[SOLVED]remote desktop for noobs on xfce

Post by wm_domino »

almost all my reading on this topic has been outside this forum because i can't seem to find any truly relevant information inside it.

this area has become my #1 os crash topic since i worked out gigolo, so i'd very much would appreciate some help here.

these posts:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=100418&
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&t=100349

aren't loaded with any info i can run with.

i found this:

http://scarygliders.net/2012/05/23/the- ... n-hotness/

now this actually worked (at least inside my lan); but i am extremely hesitant about using proggies that aren't in your ppa -- and this was no quickie, simple install compared to something like numlock-x, it flashes the screen and requires input from noob's (it's actually traumatic compared to other installs in linux other than my attempt at a tarball)...however compared to the things i've done to try and complete remote desktop, for a noob like me it's no contest if it passes lmde xfce tech.

thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stratus_ss

Re: remote desktop for noobs on xfce

Post by stratus_ss »

Sorry can you actually state what you are trying to achieve instead of posting forum links?

Are you looking to remote into a computer on your LAN, over the internet, both?

For Lan only I would recommend tightvnc or tigervnc.

For over the internet you can either use Chrome browser with its remote desktop plugin, or you can check out something like TeamViewer. If your home router supports dynamic DNS there are other options as well
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

stratus_ss wrote:Sorry can you actually state what you are trying to achieve instead of posting forum links?
take control of this machine with a winxp (eventually win7 or mint-cin) machine both from accross the internet and inside my lan; and be able to implement changes to the os.

nearly all the routers i deal with have the capacity for dynamic dns.
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

Well you can use VNC, its cross platform, and you can pass port 5900 (or whatever port you like) through your router to the correct machine.

Like I said TeamViewer also works quite well, I know it has a Windows client though I have not used it personally, only the linux ones.

VNC is going to be the lightest weight (The Windows installer is like 500K or something) and vnc is in all distro's repositories
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

it's been a distro or 2 before i've tried vnc on mint, and several yrs for Windows because i couldn't get it to work back then.

i'll start looking into vnc again .. any other viable alternates other than teamviewer?

i was going to just give the installed vino a try .. but i can't seem to find access to it even tho the software manager indicates it is installed.

ssvnc looks like it's for me since it has audio and even tho i haven't done ssh/l for my filezilla ftp, i do want it for that and this eventually.

still have realvnc server & client 4.13 installed on the xp, updating it to 5 tonight unless i find access to vino or get an answer on my noob thread on installing & removing proggies.
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

In my opinion vino is garbage. I have one computer which runs it, and the vnc connection to it is MUCH worse, laggy, slow graphical glitches etc.

Like stated before you can use a Chrome plugin though, the remote plugin requires someone there to basically accept the connection.

You can also do NoMachine NX, though it is cross platform, again I have only used the linux clients.

Other than that I have no specific suggestions sorry
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Code: Select all

rdesktop xx.xx.xx.xx -u Administrator -p <password> -r clipboard:PRIMARYCLIPBOARD
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

Habitual wrote:

rdesktop xx.xx.xx.xx -u Administrator -p <password> -r clipboard:PRIMARYCLIPBOARD
and that does what please?

i think i got tightvncserver to start, but couldn't get connected or operate it.

vino & the others i couldn't do anything with, except: x11vncserver. i got that to work, but can't seem to make it work off port 5900. *o and i was able to bring up the preferences for vino LOL, but that's it!

i'm not having any issues with ssl/sshvnc viewer that i can tell. can even connect to the x11vncserver with ssl encryption (yay!).

i realized the other reason i didn't like realvnc - it's not fully functional or free.

could really use a server for the Windows side that isn't so limited, could really use audio and chat windows on both server/client ends. at least by using tightvncserver for Windows i was able to make file transfer work.

part of the reason that scarygliders bit is so appealing is that it uses windozes' remote desktop connection, but i couldn't get it to work outside my lan or connect to the active dislay.
stratus_ss

Post by stratus_ss »

grantpet wrote:
Habitual wrote:

and that does what please?
This is to use the RDP protocl to connect to a Windows machine that has RDP enabled.

As for not getting the others to work, I could help you if you like.

Generally speaking the connections for anything other than vino start at 5901... each port thereafter represent a different user. Each user must have a vncpasswd in order to be able to connect
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

that would be awesome!

x11vncserver on my lmde xfce machine and ssvnc client on the xp machine do what i have to do: control the mint machine's active window and effect changes. plus i get ssl/ssh to add when i get it worked out (awesome).

i couldn't make it connect on a port other than 5900, but i can control it some. i'd still like audio and chat window, but at least file transfer does work.

in my reading it seems x11 isn't any heavier than tightvncserver (which is good since a few machines are on 256K DSL lines i swear predate the railroad).

all of the servers i tried that do not have a gui, i couldn't make go. but i think i was able to make vino start/stop and access a couple of its settings.

i'm now wondering if i shouldn't leave this connection for control of the active desktop like it is, and try to make tightvncserver work for my second leg of the connection .. connecting the same way without requiring interaction. that is what scarygliders did.

Return to “LMDE Archive”