NO SYSTEM SOUNDS

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BBOSAK2143

NO SYSTEM SOUNDS

Post by BBOSAK2143 »

Sound Card is working properly and everything else has sound but nothing on the boot up or when any program or button is pressed. Is this an operating sytem that just won't play system sounds? I mean I had been through all kinds of files, commands and preferences, including suggestions on other sites and forums. After 3 days of trying to get system sounds I am starting to believe this system can't play them. Any advice would be well appreciated. I am just used to having a little theme on the start up and sounds when I acccidently click the wrong thing! Happens on the mouse I use since the buttons are so close! Am running the Cinnamon desktop version, system sound is SiS SI7018. Have the dreaded ATI Radeon inboard graphics with the flgrx driver that messes with a lot of programs. If any other background is needed will include if requested.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
steveking

Re: NO SYSTEM SOUNDS

Post by steveking »

I have this same problem. I have Maya desktop with 64 bit arch. I can listen to music watch videos all ok but no system start up sound. Only time i get sound is using hotkeys on my keyboard to turn volume up and down. I too have AMD graphics but a separate card. is it an error with the additional drivers??

Anyone have knowledge of this??
BBOSAK2143

Post by BBOSAK2143 »

Just proves my point that this system is crap if no one has a solution for sound! I even reloaded and is worse now! Am seriously thinking of going back to the Chinese beta version since least it was a work horse! This thing might be pretty but sure works like junk! Everytime I shut down looks like it is crashing the way the video gets all wrinkled and twisted! WIne devastated my system this past friday spent all night getting the taskbar back! If I had a blank DVD right now I would burn YLMF 5(beta 3) to disk and reload! This silent stuff is just too much for me! I have tried everything. App manager will install a thousand applications for sound, but not do anything to play it! This OS should be banned! Junked or whatever! Should have called it Apollo 13 instead of Mint 13! OS developers like this make me ashamed to have that goal of becoming one! Boot Screen is very PATHETIC! NEED A MICROSCOPE TO SEE IT!!! i guess if I created such a poor system I would be ashamed to make a good logo also! YES DEVELOPERS I AM VERY TICKED!!!! WAKE UP STOP SMOKING CRACK AND GET THIS CRAP FIXED!!!
steveking

Post by steveking »

I think what it boils down to is that the graphica;/audio drivers are being loaded after a certain point. If you were to change the timing of these loading to earlier in the start process you may get sound upon start up. I personally dont mind not having start up music, It to me was a wasted process which delayed the start up. There is alot more to the Mint that just being pretty, it is an extremely well built distro, but like any distro on a 6 month release cycle there will be bugs! If you want a distro where everything works 100% of the time you have to give up on something like the release cycle. That is where Debian steps in over ubuntu. I can understand you are "ticked" off by your system not working as well as you would hope but after a new release you have to wait for bugs to be reported for them to be fixed, instead of moaning of the forums try being constructive and send a bug report or even better would be to try to fix it yourself and then post on the forum to let people know how to fix it. The developers have done a great job with this distro and if your willing to change distro just because you want to hear pretty music on every start up then no one is stopping you. With all thing Linux you have problems with graphics, its a simple fact of the lack of availability of the best drivers to suit your card. This is not a Linux problem this is a manufacture problem of only releasing drivers for certain cards for Linux.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Back off a little please BBOSAK2143 your rant is bordering on offensive
steveking

Post by steveking »

you sir have just been admin'd
dotdot

Post by dotdot »

interestingly ii have the same problem.
no sound ?
i go into test - and it works...
however on a web page - the sound doesn't work.
scratches head and thinks... do i want to first principle this ?

anyone got a few cmds they'd like to see the ouptut from ?

(mint 13 / 64 bit / mate)... on a vaio (nice machine shame about the weight..)

thanks people.
dotdot

Post by dotdot »

oh and from the cli.

echo -e "\a"

gives me... nothing on my lm13 box..
but works fine in my lm12 box.

diff hw btw.
dotdot

Post by dotdot »

working now.

select sound icon (bottom right..)
sound preferences.
select output tab
select built in stereo (why was what WAS .. selected.. i wondered momentarily).
(previous selected .. was ..hdmi output..)
..anyway working now.
BBOSAK2143

Post by BBOSAK2143 »

How about some ideas people, just seems like everyone blows it off instead of giving and idea how to fix it! I would not rant and rave but to see this same issue getting blown off is wrong! This issue has been posted in numerous instances and just blown off. Unless you have the Mate Desktop there is no second option in sounds to activate theme sounds and no link in start-up applications. To me that is an error. I am tossing my idea of having something to do with the automatic login function that gives the option on not having to use your password. Is it a possibility when this option is selected, only minimal sounds will be heard? The only sound I ever hear(minus playing audio via web or file) is a blurp sound when I either put a CD in or hook flash drive up. Anyone would be upset after spending a many hours as I have looking for a solution via web and experimentation. I have reloaded 4 times already and still trying my best to find a solution. The selection in the right corner, I mean you really think I am that dumb? LInks to files in the startup get blown off, so I truly believe it is some embedded scripting. Is something I don't have the knowledge at present to fix. I am also befuddled how a boot up process could be so crossed up. I mean if anyone has checked some of these files is a wonder CInnamon manages to get past all the double talk! Basically it is that humor that keeps me going on it! Why does everyone want to use Wine? Answer: Because we are getting to lazy to make programs that out function Windows. Somewhere along the line we forgot what linux really means. Linux is not WIndows, it is a system that is designed by people for people and not to glorify WIndows. I learned that 10 years ago while I was still lazy and using WIndows. I laughed it off as I thought LInux was a joke. I am not laughing at LInux no more as I have seen awesome distributions. I just want to see this improved and fixed. So why don't we put our heads together and get things going!
steveking

Post by steveking »

This isn't a major problem for me, I can live without sound on start up. But if you are having trouble with overall sound in Linux Mint then prehaps it is your hardware or drivers? Appologies if you have already checked these but I saw no mention of it. What Graphics card do you use? What drives are you using? I'm using an AMD Radeon (the one that seems to give most people trouble) but I managed to get it working and I can hear sound on everything except start up. What sort of connection do you use? dvi/hdmi? have you checked the condition of these cables? if you have no hardware problems, cables are fine, drivers are fine then we will have to have a look into why you get no sound. What browser are you using? This could also be a problem as not all browsers run smoothly in Linux Mint.

After you have checked your hardware and have confirmed whether or not this is ok then try playing a cd/mp3 if no sound then maybe try MATE? if you can get MATE to work then just install cinnamon alongside it and see if anything changes when you log into cinnamon instead. This way you will be using stock drivers from the MATE release which seems to have less problems in the audio field. If still no luck and having problems then let us know what you have tried, what hardware you have etc. Then we will work on getting a fix. If alot of people are having these problems we need them to report the bug so we can all work on getting a fix for this. But until we all know that alot of people are having problems and that all your hardware is ok not alot can be done.
maethlin

Post by maethlin »

I have the same issue (as do many others apparently) - not losing sleep over it but would be nice if it were fixed.
maethlin

Post by maethlin »

Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

Thank you. System sounds are back. (used ubuntu-tweak)

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
BBOSAK2143

Post by BBOSAK2143 »

While on Sabayon I found another reason why sound is not working. Open dconf click on the heading Org then click on Gnome, then desktop then sound. 3 headings are there called event sounds, input-feedback sounds and underneath theme-name. Make sure all are checked and you can change theme-name from default to freedesktop or any other file that you may have downloaded. Most sounds seem to work, but some are delayed by system functions. Am not sure how well the ubuntu one works on MInt as I am no longer using it, but sounds much easier than what I have listed. Still is always good to have a second option and once again I feel bad for remarks I made prior. I just want to help and never meant to upset anyone. Hopefully, this solution will also prove useful to some users on here. Remember Cinnamon is part of the Gnome shell so dconf is there and I foolishly overlooked it! I have since learned this fix from those on Sabayon that are much wiser than myself(thank god!)
rojovilla

Post by rojovilla »

Ubuntu Tweak worked for me as well. The absence of system sounds (except for logging in) have annoyed me. At any rate, just installed the latest version of UT (0.7.2) and all is good so far.... :D
bdantas

Post by bdantas »

I have LM13/MATE 64-bit on a Dell XPS 15. Everything works well except system sounds.

I enabled the system sounds (chose "Linux Mint") in sound preferences. mate-conf lists the system sounds as enabled. Despite this, no system sounds.

I Installed ubuntu-tweak and enabled system sounds there and they worked for several days. Now the sounds are gone again for no reason. Sound preferences, mate-conf, and Ubuntu tweak all list system sounds as on. What should I do to enable the system sounds and have them stay on?
infoleather

Post by infoleather »

Appologies if you have checked these, but I do not think to mention it. What graphics card you use?
bdantas

Post by bdantas »

My laptop comes with an Nvidia graphics card, Intel graphics card, and Optimus chip. The LM13 installation only uses the integrated Intel graphics, as after endless problems I uninstalled all Nvidia-related packages (Nvidia driver, Bumblebee, Nouveau).

I tried all of the Nvidia packages mentioned above at some point, but everything got worse with them installed (i.e., sometimes no audio at all, video acts strangely).

Without the Nvidia-related packages everything works perfectly except for system sounds.
Art1

Post by Art1 »

In Mint 14 Cinnamon, there are no system sounds during the live DVD session or after the system installation. Fortunately, the trick with dconf-editor works in Mint 14 Cinnamon, too, and it can enable the system sounds without ubuntu-tweak. It should be already enabled in the DVD.

Return to “Hardware Support”