openSSH asks for password [solved]

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mint-o-licious

openSSH asks for password [solved]

Post by mint-o-licious »

Today I've started to get pop-up windows with openSSH asking for password. I don't know why or which application needs the password so I haven't provided one.
I can't do anything else while the popup is open. If left open for a little while I get a warning popup saying
"Could not grab keyboard. A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session."
I think this might be because the first popup blocks the system, but not sure.
I dont think there are anything hacking into the system but would need to investigate further. What should I look for?

Mint 11, 64bit xfce (on top of gnome ed.).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mint-o-licious

Re: openSSH asks for password

Post by mint-o-licious »

Ok, now it starts to get really annoying. The window pops up a few times about every 15minutes or so.

How can I see which application tells ssh to ask me for password?

I don't have any password to provide, even if I want.
How can I get rid of this annoying popup? (Tried reinstalling ssh; no go)
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

mint-o-licious wrote:...The window pops up a few times about every 15minutes or so....
Openssh doesn't have a "window", Is this the gnome-keyring (seahorse) perhaps?
If that window IS seahorse, do you auto-login to the desktop?
mint-o-licious

Post by mint-o-licious »

ok, it's not a problem with the client but the server. It's authorized_keys has stopped working. No machine can login passwordless...
Marking this as solved and tries ot solve the issue in that end...
mint-o-licious

Post by mint-o-licious »

sorry for expressing myself sloppy, it is ssh-askpass-gnome that keeps popping up.

Return to “Other topics”