repositories? and upgrades?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
amandus

repositories? and upgrades?

Post by amandus »

I have a new install of LMDE but there are no updates, it seems that it is a kind of odd. It is a rolling distribution like Gentoo. I had Gentoo in 8 years. But now I want to try LMDE that I heard a lot of good things about.

What repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list should it point to if I want updates?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: repositories? and upgrades?

Post by zerozero »

it looks to me that you know the answer for long time http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 98#p504098 and also http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=186&t=83834
or i'm missing something here?
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Holy cow Batman there is a package named 'unicorn'.

Wow, we have unicorns, hobbits, puppets, dwarves, elves, and if you count text games like nethack, rogue, zangband we have orcs. W00t.

Now where did i put my D&D dice?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: is this what you're looking? :lol:
apt show ruby-kgio
Package: ruby-kgio
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 2.7.2-1
Priority: optional
Section: ruby
Maintainer: Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers <pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 153 k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.10), libruby1.8 (>= 1.8.7.352) | libruby1.9.1 (>=
1.9.3~rc1), ruby | ruby-interpreter
Description: Kinder, gentler I/O for Ruby
kgio provides non-blocking I/O methods for Ruby without raising exceptions on
EAGAIN and EINPROGRESS. It is intended for use with the Unicorn and Rainbows!
Rack servers, but may be used by other applications (that run on Unix-like
platforms).
Homepage: http://bogomips.org/kgio/
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

unicorn - Rack HTTP server for fast clients
hobbit-plugins - plugins for the Xymon network monitor
dragonegg - GCC plugin that uses LLVM for optimization and code generation
dragonplayer - simple video player
wesnoth-1.10-aoi - "An Orcish Incursion" official campaign for Wesnoth
rainbow - a Bitfrost isolation shell

no need for actual dice either, rolldice - A virtual dice roller

8)
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Sorry if there is a reply somewhere, I did not see it. It's about UP5

I use LMDE64 and installed it after the UP4 release. To morrow Wheezy will be freezed for six or seven months. Will LMDE users get an UP5 in the next two months or will they have to wait till 2013? Wheezy underwent some noticeable changes (Gnome 3.4) which have not yet been replicated by LMDE. Is Cinnamon adaptation the reason for slowing so much the update process ?

Who knows?
PhilD41

Post by PhilD41 »

Good question roger64! I waited to give LMDE a try unit LM13 hit to hopefully get a common starting point with my wife's PC (LM13 is on it) I was very surprised to see LM13 with many more current packages than LMDE. Mainly gnome-shell 3.4 and similar. It would be great to know when UP5 (assuming it contains 3.4) is planned. Otherwise I may have to switch back for my own sanity. :-)

To be honest, I am still getting my head wrapped around this LMDE semi-rolling update thing. I guess I was expected something more frequently as well, but I admittedly grew up on Gentoo. To that note, I do appreciate the stability as well.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

I've just read on LM blog a comment of Clem: once Maya Xfce and KDE will be released (a matter of days), he will prepare UP5 for LMDE. The Xfce version will get 4.10. So hopefully, the Gnome Cinnamon version will get 3.4 but he did not say it explicitely. Should happen probably during the second half of July. Probably.
Creto

Post by Creto »

I sincerely surprised that version of LMDE, provided that no update was released today and reinstalled LMDE to my biggest surprise is that just keeps updating firefox and thunderbird after installing the apt-get dist-upgrade.

Sorry for my comment but LMDE is very strange in the least and I agree with the author of the topic.

Greets brasilian!

T+
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

amandus wrote:I have a new install of LMDE but there are no updates, it seems that it is a kind of odd. It is a rolling distribution like Gentoo.
Wrong..... LMDE is a so called Semi-rolling distro and it works with Update Packs (UP's) which are tested carefully through the Incoming repo before being released/pushed to the Latest repo.
So... LMDE doesn't get constant updates like other rolling release distro's that are out there. The latest Update Pack was UP4 which is already included. A few updates might come sometimes but not always like FireFox and Thunderbird for example.

It just can't be compared with a true rolling distro like Gentoo, Arch or Sabayon for example. Simple as that.

Also the main focus of the Mint team is on the Main Linux Mint releases which have the priority. With the Main releases I mean Mint 13 MATE and Cinnamon, KDE and Xfce.

I hope that this explains things a bit for the people who still don't know how LMDE works or wonder why there are no updates coming in.
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

I use LMDE on my machines that can't afford to be broken with pure Debian Testing (not that it's ever happened, but still).

I use apt-pinning to get the newer packages I may need (such as Iceweasel 13 from experimental), but I love the idea of LMDE. It keeps the libraries and base system updated. These aren't things that I necessarily need cutting-edge, but are important for installing newer packages. Before I updated my Squeeze machines, I wasn't able to install the newer versions of Pithos and Pidgin that I wanted, without a huge system upgrade.

LMDE and the UPs keep that from being a problem through thoughtful, and slightly more stable, upgrades.
Creto

Post by Creto »

Ok, my curiosity has been provided

Thanks all

Greets brasilian!

T+
fabien29200

Post by fabien29200 »

I agree with the post.

I am not here to tell LMDE devs how to maintain packages in the distro.

LMDE gets Update Packs. Fine to me.

But I found this information on this post. On download page I read : "LMDE constantly receives updates".

Those informations are not conflicting, but when I read "LMDE constantly receives updates", I don't understand the UP system.

So I think a clear update policy should be written down and accessible from LMDE download page.

What will these UP contains ? Will it be exacltly the same contents as LM 13 ?
Is there one UP a year like LM ? Two ?

Are they released when the team think LM is enough stable, and then porting these evoutions to LMDE ?

Are there differences for security updates ? Or do they follow the same policy ?

I think lots of LMDE need a clear information about that.

But for the moment, I am really pleased with LMDE, thanks for the work !
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Don't look at the Download page that states: "LMDE constantly receives updates".
That applied for the very first LMDE releases, the UP's came later. So that means that the page must be edited because it is a bit confusing that way.

UP's contain more up to date packages to let LMDE look and act like the Main Mint Cinnamon/MATE Editions. Including improvements and features.

The UP's were actually scheduled once a month but that never really happened because there was some problem with a package, if i remember correct, in Debian testing back then that caused more trouble than needed. So the Mint team decided to wait, they want to push out stable UP's in the end.

For the rest of the questions you could do some more research yourself on the Blog and the forum about LMDE. Most questions are already covered in various topics.
fabien29200

Post by fabien29200 »

Hello !

Thanks for your information.

The improvement I'm asking for, is to have an easy accessible page where every one can find out those informations.

Because for now, I don't where to go.
ketoth

Post by ketoth »

Mr. B wrote: The UP's were actually scheduled once a month but that never really happened because there was some problem with a package, if i remember correct, in Debian testing back then that caused more trouble than needed. So the Mint team decided to wait, they want to push out stable UP's in the end.
Some problems with MESA - nVidia/ATi drivers, a bit rough usage of UUID in the fstab, and of course, Gnome 3. That last paused LMDE on UP 3 for months, waiting for Gnome 3 to stabilize, Cinnamon to improve, MATE to implement... :mrgreen:
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

fabien29200 wrote:Hello !

Thanks for your information.

The improvement I'm asking for, is to have an easy accessible page where every one can find out those informations.

Because for now, I don't where to go.
Hmmm... makes me ponder... How about a User Guide in PDF for LMDE like the Mint Team has for the Main Editions that provides all the info?

Return to “LMDE Archive”