Flash massively unstable -- crashes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jcarpenter

Flash massively unstable -- crashes

Post by jcarpenter »

Running LM KDE. The flash plugin in Firefox is crashing in seconds or minutes when a vid is started. I installed flash-aid and have tried the beta and stable flash but it just keeps crashing. Any ideas of a fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Flash massively unstable -- crashes

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jcarpenter.

The answer to your question depends on the answer to the following 2 questions:
+ which Firefox version exactly are you using?
+ which Flash player plugin version exactly are you using?

Background:
Firefox 13.0 seems to have a bug which may cause Flash to crash. This is why Mozilla has released Firefox 13.0.1 recently.
Adobe has updated Flash for Linux to 11.2.202.236. The previous version was 11.2.202.235.

Note:
Personally I have only experienced Flash crashes on Windows 7 since Flash has been updated to 11.3.300.257 (latest version for Windows). These Flash crashes occur no matter whether Firefox 13.0 or 13.0.1 is used.
Though Linux Mint definitely is not Windows 7, the most recent versions of Firefox and Flash do not seem to co-operate too well.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
jcarpenter

Post by jcarpenter »

karlchen wrote:Hello, jcarpenter.

The answer to your question depends on the answer to the following 2 questions:
+ which Firefox version exactly are you using?
+ which Flash player plugin version exactly are you using?

Background:
Firefox 13.0 seems to have a bug which may cause Flash to crash. This is why Mozilla has released Firefox 13.0.1 recently.
Adobe has updated Flash for Linux to 11.2.202.236. The previous version was 11.2.202.235.

Note:
Personally I have only experienced Flash crashes on Windows 7 since Flash has been updated to 11.3.300.257 (latest version for Windows). These Flash crashes occur no matter whether Firefox 13.0 or 13.0.1 is used.
Though Linux Mint definitely is not Windows 7, the most recent versions of Firefox and Flash do not seem to co-operate too well.

Kind regards,
Karl

Thank you Karl.

I did not see your response and in my frustration installed Mint 13. That took care of the problem. Thanks very much for your efforts.

I think this highlights the need to build a Linux native solution to those universal viruses we call "windows" and "flash". Personally, I'd be willing to pay a hundred + for a Linux distro that just-worked out of the box.
noobs

Post by noobs »

Hey OP.

It crashes because of bad hardware acceleration.
Go to a YouTube video, right click, Settings, and disable it.
dexone

Post by dexone »

same problem here, crashes in flash games like on facebook, i updated my flash using plugins in firefox,
but nothing happens. its lagging, i dont know what is the problem.
dual boot with windows 7 64bit, in windows no problem at all it is smooth

how do i fix it?
thanks..

or else must delete this OS and try
fedora, ubuntu etc...

Asus PG541M-LE
Intel Core2Duo E7500
EVGA GT430 1GB DD3
3 GB Kingston DDR2
1 TB Seagate Barracuda
1 160GB Seagate Barracuda
noobs

Post by noobs »

dexone wrote:same problem here, crashes in flash games like on facebook, i updated my flash using plugins in firefox,
but nothing happens. its lagging, i dont know what is the problem.
dual boot with windows 7 64bit, in windows no problem at all it is smooth

how do i fix it?
thanks..

or else must delete this OS and try
fedora, ubuntu etc...

Asus PG541M-LE
Intel Core2Duo E7500
EVGA GT430 1GB DD3
3 GB Kingston DDR2
1 TB Seagate Barracuda
1 160GB Seagate Barracuda
read my post.
It's not the OS/Browser.
Just poorly coded FlashPlayer for Linux.

Return to “Sound”