Cinnamon Themes

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daniel4lm

Re: Cinnamon Themes

Post by Daniel4lm »

kmb42vt wrote:I just posted a bug report on Guthub (cinnamon-themes) about the

I don't actually know whether this is a problem with Cinnamon 1.3 compatible themes or Cinnamon 1.3 itself to be honest about it. :?
te7 wrote:Dark-glass is broken in cinnamon 1.3. The information in the lower right corner is too low, and the update icon is too big. I'm using the weather extension, if that makes a difference. You get this if you choose dark-glass, logout then log back in.
I think this is a problem in Cinnamon. I have no problem with the icons [img=http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2685/dobroradi.th.png]. I will try to experiment, if I find a problem I will tell you here.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Daniel4lm wrote:

I don't actually know whether this is a problem with Cinnamon 1.3 compatible themes or Cinnamon 1.3 itself to be honest about it. :?
te7 wrote:Dark-glass is broken in cinnamon 1.3. The information in the lower right corner is too low, and the update icon is too big. I'm using the weather extension, if that makes a difference. You get this if you choose dark-glass, logout then log back in.
I think this is a problem in Cinnamon. I have no problem with the icons [img=http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2685/dobroradi.th.png]. I will try to experiment, if I find a problem I will tell you here.
Several people are reporting the same problem with 1.3 compatible themes it seems. The following comment on the "Cinnamon 1.3 released" forum thread solves the problem:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 31#p543631

It appears that these 1.3 compatible themes are not setting any panel button icon size restraints which seems to only affect non-native Cinnamon icons like MintUpdate (and Glipper in my case). To quote from the above comment:
Try editing .panel-status-button in cinnamon.css and add height: 16px. (This is what Minty does). You can change the hpadding sizes in this block to change the spacing of the status icons as well.
I set mine a "20" rather than "16" but that just personal preference on my part.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

kmb42vt wrote:
Daniel4lm wrote:

Several people are reporting the same problem with 1.3 compatible themes it seems. The following comment on the "Cinnamon 1.3 released" forum thread solves the problem:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 31#p543631

It appears that these 1.3 compatible themes are not setting any panel button icon size restraints which seems to only affect non-native Cinnamon icons like MintUpdate (and Glipper in my case). To quote from the above comment:
Try editing .panel-status-button in cinnamon.css and add height: 16px. (This is what Minty does). You can change the hpadding sizes in this block to change the spacing of the status icons as well.
I set mine a "20" rather than "16" but that just personal preference on my part.
I see. I already have a <<height: 16px;>> line in my themes and I have no such problems.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It used to default to 22px when the theme did not set it. When we moved the systray to an applet this default value was missing.

Thanks for the feedback on this. No need to update the themes with this unless you want something different than 22px. I just fixed this in github and it will make its way to 1.3.1.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

clem wrote:It used to default to 22px when the theme did not set it. When we moved the systray to an applet this default value was missing.

Thanks for the feedback on this. No need to update the themes with this unless you want something different than 22px. I just fixed this in github and it will make its way to 1.3.1.

Excellent Clem...thank you. My update icon was huge this morning when I powered up and logged in and when I open xchat, the xchat icon is even bigger. I'll wait for the release :wink:
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

Thanks Clem :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Finished another one: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/48

Gonna try and set up a Cinnamon themes PPA, they scream for a repo!
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Parquet floor, isn't it?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

This one is for fellow Gnome Shell expats :)
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/51

matthew 123

Post by matthew 123 »

The best cinnamon theme in style od linux mint is without a doubt minty theme. This theme should be default theme in future releases for sure ( or used as a base ). Black transparent and green with clear white fonts fits perfect together. And icons needs to be different instead of elementary. Cause Mint is unique and best distribution, it deserves to be different from any other distro:D Cinnamon is a good start in ui i like it very much.
matthew 123

Post by matthew 123 »

The point is in that when you install the system you dont have to customize it yourself. Cause if you have to do it it means that you dont like the default look. All those themes out there are not default themes and therefore they are not safe for system digging in the nautilus to change it..
Diekan

Post by Diekan »

I'm really not that all impressed with Cinnamon. I don't dislike it - it is fast and sleek. But, IMO it's not really all that easily customizable. Sure, you can change themes - but does that do? Changes the color of your Menu... not a whole lot else. That's not customization to me. Compiz and Cairo-Dock... THAT'S customization. But, I understand that Cinnamon wasn't designed for an "eye candy" effect - not to the scale that Comp and Dock are.

Just my opinion.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Cinnamon is extremely customizable, there's just not GUI for a lot of it yet. If you know what's what under the hood, there's plenty to work with.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

satya164

Post by satya164 »

Great work :)
Jix

Post by Jix »

Diekan wrote:I'm really not that all impressed with Cinnamon. I don't dislike it - it is fast and sleek. But, IMO it's not really all that easily customizable. Sure, you can change themes - but does that do? Changes the color of your Menu... not a whole lot else. That's not customization to me. Compiz and Cairo-Dock... THAT'S customization. But, I understand that Cinnamon wasn't designed for an "eye candy" effect - not to the scale that Comp and Dock are.
I remember Clem saying they would love to have more eye-candy integrated, but it's not high on the list of priorities because stuff like Compiz comes with a slew of bugs and compatibility problems. Computers handle graphics differently (different cards, specs, drivers, etc.).
LoneWolf_53

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

OK let me throw this one out there........... I did a clean install of Mint 13 X64 Maya Cinnamon, been tweaking the look to suit my taste and ran into a glitch with themes.

I downloaded themes, put them on my desktop and extracted them, after which I put them into user/share/themes and then when I go to cinnamon settings to try and change the window is now completely blank????????????? No themes displayed in the window at all, not even the preexisting ones.

I did nothing but drop the folders into the themes directory and for what it's worth I haven't deleted anything and even still when I look in "home" and set the view to show hidden files it shows me the folders that begin with . but there is not .themes folder in there otherwise I might have tried that route.

Any tips fellers?
LoneWolf_53

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Surely I can't be the only one who has experienced this. :?:
satya164

Post by satya164 »

May be you have permission issues?
LoneWolf_53

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

satya164 wrote:May be you have permission issues?
I don't see why as I put the theme folders into the directory as root the same way I've always done and never had an issue before.

I admit this is the first time I've used Cinnamon though as my previous installation was Gnome.

What I do is type "gksu nautilus" into the console then move things around as I wish.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”