Linux Mint Debian 201204 RC (MATE/Cinnamon & Xfce) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
toomuchcoffee

Re: Linux Mint Debian 201204 RC (MATE/Cinnamon & Xfce) relea

Post by toomuchcoffee »

There is just one more thing.. on the 201204 (RC) I have about 4 memtest entries in the grub menu, I'm not sure how those ended up there but I think it might have been something related to installing mdm, anyone else? Should I get rid of them? If so how? :?
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

So, is there any sort of consensus whether or not people should replace gdm3 or not?
toomuchcoffee

Post by toomuchcoffee »

KBD47 wrote:So, is there any sort of consensus whether or not people should replace gdm3 or not?
IMO yes but keep in mind that I'm just a useless noob.

1. It looks much nicer and provides more options (like change language).
2. GDM3 was dropped from the final version so its dead.
3. mdm really looks nicer :mrgreen: .

On a unrelated note unlike the RC 201204 final installed on my desktop doesnt have the memtest entries in the GRUB (not that I ever used them anyway) :?
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

Is there any possibility to change a language in the GUI?
Creto

Post by Creto »

nickoff wrote:Is there any possibility to change a language in the GUI?
They should make a documentation on how to translate the LMDE because as I said there is no option to translate it through chart

Greets Brasil.

T+
widget

Post by widget »

nickoff wrote:Is there any possibility to change a language in the GUI?
Debian is a well translated project. Most languages are available in the repo so they should be in LMDE too.

Therefore you should be able to;

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
and get a nice alphabetical list of languages.

Space bar to select/unselect and up and down arrows to navigate list.

Tab to jump to the buttons at the bottom.
JoeNotCharles

Post by JoeNotCharles »

bigjay2008 wrote:How do I change the window manager in MATE? I much prefer to use a tiling window manager, but I can’t get one to start (correctly) by default. I have installed dwm, awesome, and bluetile. I have had no success with dwm or awesome. Bluetile works perfectly if I start it from the command line once MATE is running, but if I have it run as a startup application then the mouse is constantly replaced by a hamster wheel, which is quite annoying. It also adds the gnome+bluetile option at the login screen, but won’t start. It would be awesome if there was a MATE+bluetile option. I really just want to know where/what I need to edit ( in gnome2 it was ~/.gnomerc ) to change the default window manager?
Not sure if this is the "most correct" way, but:

Run mateconf-editor (I had to install the "mate-conf-editor" package first; I'm surprised it wasn't there by default)
Go to desktop/mate/session/required_components/windowmanager and change it from "marco" to "bluetile"

Now bluetile will start automatically next time you log in with the standar MATE session.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”