[Semi-Solved] Cannot Enable Mint 13 Startup Splash

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

[Semi-Solved] Cannot Enable Mint 13 Startup Splash

Post by RobertLM78 »

I was trying to get the mint-logo on startup using the guide on the Mint 13 Release Notes page:
Black splash screen

In Linux Mint the boot splash screen is completely black. This is by design. Once the system is installed the boot sequence is relatively fast. The black loading sequence doesn't look out of place and it looks consistent across all computers, whatever driver you're using. If you'd rather get a splash screen you can select one by typing the following command and selecting mint-logo:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth 
But I still get a black screen on booting :( :roll: . It's not a top priority, but it would be nice to see some activity on startup rather than a black screen :) .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot Enable Mint 13 Startup Splash

Post by jazz.h »

Try with Grub Customizer. Search the forum with these terms. Upon installing, try to set the option "splash" to get the splash screen while booting...
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

jazz.h wrote:Try with Grub Customizer. Search the forum with these terms. Upon installing, try to set the option "splash" to get the splash screen while booting...
I might very well be mistaken, but I don't think Grub and a system startup splash are related.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

They are related, as long as you're satisfied with static images (without any kind of animations)...
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

jazz.h wrote:They are related, as long as you're satisfied with static images (without any kind of animations)...
Hmmm. Interesting, the live boot from CD has a splash very similar to Ubuntu's, with the 5-6 "dots" that do their back and forth thing. I will look into the grub customizer, though, but my intial cursory search in synaptic didn't return a package with that name.
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

Do you mean the Startup-Manager? I have already check-marked the splash option. I'm looking for the system splash, so if startupmanager supposed to control that, it isn't working :x .

I know it isn't a huge deal, but it is a touch that I'd really like to add to my systems :D . So, if there are any other ideas, please let me know as I'm pretty well stumped at this point (even the code provided by the Mint team seems to have no affect, so I wonder if this is some sort of bug.

UPDATE: Apparently I had not installed startupmanager on the 32-bit machine - which incidentally is a one operating system machine - and after check-marking the splash option and entering the command in the terminal, I get a splash :D :D :D ! It might just be a "flash-of-a-splash" (about 2-3 seconds), but it's there :D.

However, the new 64-bit system is a dual boot (sadly), and on that machine, the splash is still not working :( .
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

Final update: after restarting from a kernel update to 3.2.0-26 on the dual boot machine, I finally get a splash, I don't know if it was coincidence, or if the update somehow resolved the issue (I had of course tried reboot several times, I even went as far as to shut the computer down completely to get the splash to work before). Anyway, it's working now :D !

Thanks for the help Jazz :).

-------------------

So in summary, go get the nicely done splash on Mint enabled startup, I followed these steps:

1. In Startup-Manager, under Misc., check the box next to "Show boot splash", and close the manager.

2. Then open a terminal and enter

, and select option #1, push enter and reboot.
janfai

Re: [Solved] Cannot Enable Mint 13 Startup Splash

Post by janfai »

After choosing Plymouth, you need to generate init ram disk by second command.

sudo update-initramfs -u
Last edited by karlchen on Wed May 07, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] [/code] tags
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Cannot Enable Mint 13 Startup Splash

Post by RobertLM78 »

janfai wrote:After choosing Plymouth, you need to generate init ram disk by second command.

sudo update-initramfs -u
Thank you janfai for the good eye! This topic really isn't solved, because even though I am getting the splash, it is sporatic and inconsistent.

One machine it does appear every time, but only for about 0.8 second. The other computer is a complete gamble as to what it will do, about 50% of the time it shows, and 50% it doesn't show - this computer is also dual boot, which means it would be even nicer to have it working here, since rebooting is almost a daily occurance.

Anyway, I tried the additional command and it doesn't seem to have made a difference :( . I tried it on the dual boot machine and restarted twice with no splash....
NotSure23

Re: [Semi-Solved] Cannot Enable Mint 13 Startup Splash

Post by NotSure23 »

Using startup manager and checkmarking splash screen. Then imputing the command in terminal worked for me also to get the splash screen. The splash screen only displays for 1 or 2 seconds though.

Did you change the resolution or color depth? By default mine is set to 640x480 and 8 bit. My laptops resolution is 1280x768
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

NotSure23 wrote:Using startup manager and checkmarking splash screen. Then imputing the command in terminal worked for me also to get the splash screen. The splash screen only displays for 1 or 2 seconds though.

Did you change the resolution or color depth? By default mine is set to 640x480 and 8 bit. My laptops resolution is 1280x768
I didn't make any changes to the color depth. It seems that the splash does come on most of the time on here, but typically very briefly. I guess it's working well enough for me, as it seems to conistantly come up on the other two machines.
IT-Werewolf

Post by IT-Werewolf »

In root terminal (Or with SUDO) use

update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

It fgives a list. Press 1 and then ENTER.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, guys.

Running

is only half of the work.
Even the instruction on the official Linux Mint 13 webpage is incomplete. (Linux Mint 13 Release Notes - Black splash screen)
You will have to update the boot image file as well. So the complete steps are

sudo update-initramfs -u
But janfai had already explained so a few posts above mine.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Other topics”