making samba work xfce debian missing opt w thunar [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wm_domino

Re: making samba work xfce debian missing opt w thunar [SOLV

Post by wm_domino »

my thunar samba share remove looks exactly like that.

if i have to edit the smb.conf anyway, then i'll prolly wind up using this admin-shares more. for now i've only been required to set up guest access, some read, some write; so it's never been a point at which i have tried to tackle yet.

but i think ultimately i'd like to create these private shares and hide some folders from the list, but i've been saving those crashes for after i get a few other things functioning like i need (audio/remote desktop).

sure is a quick fix for noob's to get guest access i think tho.

thanks again for the tutorial, i'll be giving it a go after the weekend unless i get busy in some other threads.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

my thunar samba share remove looks exactly like that.
Then post the output of the following command and indicate which share is not being removed:

Code: Select all

net usershare info --long
if i have to edit the smb.conf anyway, then i'll prolly wind up using this admin-shares more
You don't have to edit smb.conf at all if you use the Thunar method so I don't know to what you are referring. The share definitions using the thunar method are not in smb.conf. They are in /var/lib/samba/usershares and you don't edit those.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wm_domino

Post by wm_domino »

i removed all the shares, but i tried to remove the share created with share-admin when i made those screenshots with the thunar samba share remove custom action and it didn't, but i have to go back and reread everything you put in here just to make sure i've got a better understanding.

i'll stick with the custom action additions for the machine i'm playing on, but these others don't need to do anything more than a single public write folder and maybe a read folder or 2, so i don't see any reason not to just use the share-admin for them, yet.

i think i was just looking to integrate them.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

i removed all the shares, but i tried to remove the share created with share-admin when i made those screenshots with the thunar samba share remove custom action and it didn't, but i have to go back and reread everything you put in here just to make sure i've got a better understanding.
** You cannot remove a share created from shares-admin from a Thunar custom action.
** Thunar uses Usershares which create and can remove shares defined in /var/lib/samba/usershares.
** Shares-admin creates shares in /etc/samba/smb.conf.
** Theses 2 methods are different kinds of Samba shares, created using 2 totally different mechanisms, and have share definitions in 2 different locations.
** Do not use both methods on the same target folder.
i'll stick with the custom action additions for the machine i'm playing on, but these others don't need to do anything more than a single public write folder and maybe a read folder or 2, so i don't see any reason not to just use the shares-admin for them, yet.
Either method will work but:

** At a minimum you will need to do 2 steps as I illustrated in a previous post when you create a writeable public ( i.e., guest ) shares-admin share - create the share and change Linux permissions.
** With Thunar it's only one step.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”