A little request

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marouane87

A little request

Post by marouane87 »

Hello,

I'm new aroud the forum and I hope I'm not already breaking the rules by mading my request here. In fact, I'm starting a new blog about Linux Mint titled: Linux Mint Tunisia (I'll be trying to promote Linux Mint in my country). The thing is, as a banner for the blog I used this one:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tndi9A9TfGI/T ... l_Logo.png

I have no idea on manipulating images, so I'm wondering if any one can help me adding the word "Tunisia" to the logo?

Thank you :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: A little request

Post by slider »

Hi marouane87 and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums!

Among quite a few other things, I am also a graphic designer and would be happy to help you with your "Linux Mint promotion project" for Tunisia users.

If you will, please post how you would like the design element set up. (e.g. inline with the stock logo; above or below; color preference if different from original; etc)

Let me know at your convenience if you are still wanting to work on this project.

Regards,

S :)
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
marouane87

Post by marouane87 »

Thank you!

Well, I'm thinking about adding the word "Tunisia" or simply "tn" (which may be more beautiful). So the banner will be "LinuxMint-Tn" or "Linux Mint Tunisia".
For the logo, I'd like to add anything that can make reference to Tunisia. But I don't see how...

May be you have an idea (since you're a designer and I'm sure you have more artistic taste than I do) :D
(If you like you can see how Fedora and Ubuntu made theirs:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TunisianTeam
http://www.fedora-tunisia.org/ )

I know it's just a blog but it's a first step hoping for the better in promoting this amazing distribution (May be if Linux Mint will have its own wiki, I'll be able to make a page like the ubuntu team)

Thank you again :D
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Well, I'm thinking about adding the word "Tunisia" or simply "tn" (which may be more beautiful). So the banner will be "LinuxMint-Tn" or "Linux Mint Tunisia".
By "banner" are you simply referring to what we normally call an "header element" or "header image"? In other words the Mint official logo in your case. OR are you referring to an actual ad banner element? I think that maybe different designers/users may have different names for what appears to be the same thing. :)
For the logo, I'd like to add anything that can make reference to Tunisia. But I don't see how...
The first thing a graphic designer must do at the beginning of a project is research the subject. I have actually already began working on this last night and my first step was a visit to Wikipedia to learn more about Tunisia. While there I downloaded an image of the national flag for possible incorporation into the logo for this project. I guess most graphic designers think alike based on the links that you have posted from Ubuntu and Fedora :oops: :lol: Although I did not envision doing it exactly as they did, this could be a good way none the less, and is very doable if you want. :)
May be you have an idea (since you're a designer and I'm sure you have more artistic taste than I do) :D
:oops: This can never be true! :lol: I'm sure that you have your own very good and unique "artistic taste". My job is to make the design applicable and pleasing to you and all Tunisia users. :)
I know it's just a blog but it's a first step hoping for the better in promoting this amazing distribution (May be if Linux Mint will have its own wiki, I'll be able to make a page like the ubuntu team)
A blog is still a web site and an important viable avenue for Linux Mint promotion, so what you do will be important and appreciated. Far as the "wiki", we had one a few years back that worked quite well, until it was..... Well lets just say that the new Linux Mint Community site has taken over this function and has actually surpassed it by quite a long shot! :)

OK, I will post more here as soon as I have something to show you.

If you have any further ideas or such, please post here. Don't be afraid to be real verbose!

Regards,

S
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi,

I have some images ready to show you. In an effort to keep down forum clutter, I will post only a few screenshots below in this post and in the next post (due to the "3-image limit per post" rule).
screenshot181.png
screenshot182.png
screenshot183.png
Most of us who do design work and are Linux Mint users (at least the ones that I know) have always thought that the two different "N",s in the logo just didn't match well. (No offense Carlos if you happen to read this. You did a great job! :) ) What I did was modify the original logo with the correct (in my opinion) matching font, along with a little resizing and balancing to try to make things look default as much as possible, but with a more modern feel. I still cut the "L" and the "T" back as in the original.

Looking at the small inset image of the first screenshot one can see that the newer "N" , "M" and even the "T" are being used now on desktop bg's.

If you like I could change back to the old style "N". Just let me know.

Yes I would do a few things differently than default, but that was not my goal in this case. Less drop shadow, different "dots for the "i"'s, etc. I have made these types of mods in the not so distant past while making Mint logos.

I did a few variations and sub-element variations. Yes, I'm trying to read your mind! :wink: I'm not too good at that though really.

Take a look at some of these and let me know if there is anything that you like OR if there is anything that you would like for me to further develop. Any variation is possible or even new things that you may think of. Please remember to be verbose!

When/if we have something that you like I will send you the source code of the master file with all images. Any Inkscape user would then be able to open and modify anything as needed. I can help you to learn to do this as well, then you can re-size and export svg(vector) image to png(rastor) format if needed.

**If you want to mix and match elements (e.g. hyphens, sub-elements,etc) please be specific on which ones.**

Let me know when you have time and I hope that these images may be of help to you.

Thanks,

PS. (screenshots continued in next post)
Mark Twain
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

The following images are close-ups of various logos:
screenshot185.png
screenshot186.png
screenshot187.png
Mark Twain
marouane87

Post by marouane87 »

That's just amazing :D !

Yes, I was refering to the header (you've already understood me ;) ). And yes, I'd love to learn how to do this stuff (using Gimp I suppose?), any totorial or ressources are welcomed 8)

I liked very much your job! for my opinion, I think it would lokk great to combine two works of what you've done like in attached files (of corse the dimension and pasting are awful in my case xD)

What do you think :D ?
suggestion.PNG
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi marouane87,
I think it would lokk great to combine two works of what you've done like in attached files
Done! :wink:
screenshot190.png
There are three different versions of the main logo element that you liked before. The other parts of the logo wording are identical. All three will be included with the rest so that you can use whichever one suits your purpose.

This is what the new logo looks like on your current background image at your "Linux Mint Tunisia" site.
screenshot191.png
Please let me know if this is what you wanted or if would like for me to develop in any other areas.

As soon as we are ready I will clean up the source file and get it ready to upload to a file sharing site so that you can download it.

I'll put everything in a neat package that you can unzip and then use.

Thanks,

S
Mark Twain
marouane87

Post by marouane87 »

Thank you!

I think the one you used to show the final banner (with the background) is great :D ! (but if you think otherwise, please let me know ;) )
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi!

I sent you a PM with the download link and md5sum info.

After you have downloaded the package please check the md5sum to make sure that it matches to avoid any possible file transfer corruption.

md5sum = 580fb1eba796234de0c5ed4a748d07a8

If you are unsure as to how to do this proceed as follows:

Open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

md5sum /path/to/the/location/of/your/file
and compare to the one posted here.

Please let me know that your download was successful or if you have any problems.

Regards,

Mark Twain
marouane87

Post by marouane87 »

I've seen it! Thank you so much!
Everything is great and no errors :D

The banner was a little big to be displayed, and I've managed (thanks to the tips in the Readme file) to resize it :D

I think everything is fine, if you have any comments please let me know :)

Thank you gain for your great job and for your time!

Return to “Your Artwork”