Mint 13 - Major stability problems

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElectricRider

Mint 13 - Major stability problems

Post by ElectricRider »

I am testing Mate now after pulling my hair out with Cinnamon's task bar disappearing. Both on Cinnamon's and now with mate I constantly lose the right click context menus or the ability to do simple things like cut and paste.

I am using ATI's grafics drivers for my ATI card, I have all Updates installed. The machine is a 64 bit with 4 gigs of system ram. I test a lot of Linux distros and I have never had this kind of trouble with them. I used Mint in the past without these problems. What could be causing these things? I'd like to fix it and have a stable Mint distro. FYI, I only use the Terminal when I have to and that by following instruction, you may have to walk me through your fixes.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 13 - Major stability problems

Post by RobertLM78 »

ElectricRider wrote: Both on Cinnamon's and now with mate I constantly lose the right click context menus or the ability to do simple things like cut and paste.
What do you mean by lose? Are they disappearing? I'm using MATE and I have never had a context menu disappear, nor have I had any copy and paste issues. Did you install MATE on top of the Cinnamon Edition, or did you do a fresh install?
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
ElectricRider

Post by ElectricRider »

I right click and no right click context menu appears.. such as on the desktop background.

I did a fresh install on a newly formatted with Ext4 partition.

Edit:

Like just now for instance. i was in natulus and suddenly could not access anything on the top toolbar.. File, Edit even icon View - nothing worked. I could click on different places, like system or network. I opened up this post to tell of the experience and found i could not type text.. even though clicking on buttons worked fine. I had to relog to fix the problem. This is getting very frustrating.
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

I'm sure sorry about your troubles. Are you using a generic or otherwise odd keyboard? I have an older ATI card on my 32-bit machine that seems to have finally integrated properly into the system (although it took a fresh install to make that happen :wink: ).

Again, I might suggest doing a fresh install of the MATE edition (not just MATE on top op Cinnamon), I've heard of some issues with Cinnamon lately - I guess since that fork is of a more cutting edge and unstable desktop (Gnome 3.X) there is a lot more to go wrong. I never could get Cinnamon with Mint 12 (or Gnome 3 with Ubuntu Oneiric and Precise, for that matter) to load properly on my 32-bit machine, even after upgrading to 1GB RAM.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
gmh_michael

Post by gmh_michael »

I've experienced the same with mint 13. also a lot of my games dont work on the cinnamon desktop. has anyone had this issue in mate? or should i just wait for the XFCE release?

Return to “Other topics”