LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE-RC observatoins and questions?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjaythomas

LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE-RC observatoins and questions?

Post by jjaythomas »

*not sure where to post, moderatore feel free to move*

The new RC seems off to a good start (my opinion :D ) but

1. In the install 'slide-show' the screenshot for the desktop-settings is not the apropriate one for XFCE.and the one refercing giver and pdf-printer aren't used anymore.

2. The window margins are ser to 10 pixels(?) all 4 sides. This may be a nod to old CRT displays bowing effect (due to curvature of glass), was/is a workaround to not get window X(exit) and scroller bar cut off. *May only effect me because I use a external monitor hooked to laptop dock(?)*

3. does this use a full XFCE 4.10 implementation? Because I read 4.6 and 4.8 don't allways mix well with 4.10 modules, and upgrading (not clean installed) causes problems. Plugins and/or xfce-goodies packages.

4. Because "compiz' is installed should their be "fusion-icon' or 'compiz-setting-manager'?

*Because I'm not current with 4.10 stuff :roll: Is 285-295 memory usage on a 8g (2X4 mem stixs) 64bit machine 'KOSHER?*

'Found a house now try to make home'
J.Jay
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: LMint 13 (Maya) XFCE-RC observatoins and questions?

Post by jjaythomas »

Can go directly to 'xfce.org' to see a overview of the differences of XFCE 4.8 versus 4.10 :wink:

J.Jay

P.S. 5. also noticed auto-spell not working in browser (is checked in preferences). This ones a must for rotten spellers like me :P
Last edited by jjaythomas on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

6. missing 'gnome-system-tools'
7. missing 'faces' files, normally in usr>share>faces (empty now) or usr>share>piximaps>faces (empty/default face only now).

mainly 'users and groups' in system menu needed.

J.Jay
Last edited by jjaythomas on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I usually install the 'xfce-goodies' meta package. (use various plugins)
Becuse it's still version 4.8 will the plugins ect. conflict with the XFCE 4.10 used for this RC?

J.Jay
mercier

Post by mercier »

installed on toshiba satellite A100 laptop. first time user of xfce (since lxde version is not available). looks great. fast as wind.

problems so far: unable to add system monitor or cpu monitor to bottom panel.
Plugin "System Load Monitor" unexpectedly left the panel, do you want to restart it?
any thoughts?
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

That what I asked?
I also add those plugins on panel (I usally add xfce-goodies) But I think some plugins (in repos) don't work with 'The XFCE4.10' used in the RC> :?:

J.Jay

P.S. I think you can get correct plugins (maybe compleate goodies meta package) for 4.10 at xfce.org website :?:

Edit: this website doesn't like # eight(8) keeps making smilie
dajare

Post by dajare »

mercier wrote:installed on toshiba satellite A100 laptop. first time user of xfce (since lxde version is not available). looks great. fast as wind. ...
Interesting - this is exactly my situation, with one small exception. Last night I ran with Maya Xfce for the evening live off USB. This is on a Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 with 1Gb RAM, 1.4GHz Celeron(M) processor, Strangely, for me, LM 13 Maté ;) actually runs faster and "prettier".

My experience last night with Maya Xfce RC:
- my wireless kept dropping: I needed to click on the tray icon to re-connect;
- display: the "hinting" never quite looked as "clean" as un-tweaked Maté, no matter which setting I tried;
- overall speed: I wouldn't call it "sluggish", but it wasn't as responsive as either LM 12 LXDE (my installed distro, which is great, but not LTS), or LM 13 Maté, running live off USB.

So, a strange and unexpected result for me. I'll wait for the final release, but I'm thinking that Maté will probably be installed finally on this machine. As I say, not what I was expecting!
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Installed on second partition and running smoothly here. Thanks for the fix with maximized windows and workspace borders.

Nice to see they went for Xfce 4,10 in this version. I do have one major issue though. Xfce 4.10 is still using gtk2 while a number of the applications installed (Gnome apps) are using gtk3. Included in the default install are a number of gtk2 themes which make these apps either look weird or in the case of Gnome Terminal not to function at all (it starts but the cursor never appears). This means you have to be careful when choosing a theme to use in "Appearance". IMHO, these gtk2 themes should have been left out entirely. I foresee a lot of questions/complaints in the forums when users select a gtk2 theme and things "look strange".

I'm sure it's to late now but IMHO it might have been better to use Mate apps, which are also using gtk2, instead of Gnome apps. My main system is LMDE Xfce and I have replaced a couple of Gnome apps with their Mate counterparts and they work fine. I just had to install mateconf, which isn't self evident, to get them to work properly.

Anyway, just my 2 euro cents worth.
dajare

Post by dajare »

GeneBenson wrote:Thanks for the fix with maximized windows and workspace borders.
Clem has commented on the testing page:
clem wrote:- Reduce xfwm margins from 10px to 0px
So this fix is already on the "to-do" list. ;)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Seem good but ...
Right now having XFCE 4.10 with out the supporting cast (correct plugins ect in repo)being in Mints supported repos (Ubuntu 12.04 will be 4.8 stuff)thing break easily.
The mixing of gtk2 and gtk3 apps bog things down (auto-spell in FF?) or conflict.
and the theming aspects (again GTK2 & 3) make things look un-smooth.

:) Maybe sorted out by full release by Clem and co. :)

Going to see if after market (Ubuntu minimal with Mint sources) will have 4.8 or 4.10 or both avialable in repo for building up. :|
or may try Net-Install Debian with LMDE sources (will be all 4.8) building in 64 bit. :mrgreen: (Swift Linux still easier for 32 bit building) :wink:

J.Jay
P.S. this website still gives a smilie for #eight

EDIT tried LMint LMDE64-- still 4.(eight) :P LMint (13Maya) live Mate in synaptic (refreshed) still 4.eight (evidintly 4.10 base in RC ISO only) :shock:
trialpha

Post by trialpha »

I'm pleasantly surprised that Clem has released (at least release candidate) with XFCE 4.10 - If i understand correctly, Ubuntu Precise will not officialy support XFCE 4.10 but it is available as a PPA from the Xubuntu devs.

The PPA is being loaded from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xubuntu-dev-xfce-4_10-precise.list within Maya XFCE-RC
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

What i don't understand is the choise for brasero above xfburn?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

trialpha wrote:... If i understand correctly, Ubuntu Precise will not officialy support XFCE 4.10 ...
A simple matter of timing.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

trialpha wrote: The PPA is being loaded from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xubuntu-dev-xfce-4_10-precise.list within Maya XFCE-RC
disabled by default :wink:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

trialpha wrote:The PPA is being loaded from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xubuntu-dev-xfce-4_10-precise.list within Maya XFCE-RC

disabled by default
good to know (didn't think of ppa disabled :oops:) May let me get plugin (That I like) working

Thank You ZZero
J.Jay

P.S. Anyone know how to use a #eight (8) without getting a smilie? **nevermind must have been a fluke or (or full moon day) :roll:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I activated the 4.10 PPA got the correct plugins (actually Goodies meta package, I'm LAZY.

:?: Since the New RC has a 4.10 base shouln't the PPA be on by default? Or does it screwup other parts of system? :wink:

J.Jay

P.S. anyone figure out spell check in FF (or is it just me :( )
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

jjaythomas wrote: P.S. anyone figure out spell check in FF (or is it just me :( )
have you tried this
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

jjaythomas wrote:
P.S. anyone figure out spell check in FF (or is it just me :( )

Hi jjaythomas

may be you do not have the dictionary installed..

try install this add-ons and see if spell check would work.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Yea have spell-check checked (both in FF preference and right click context menu

Thanks Wayne installed dictionary, now working :oops:

Thank you
J.Jay
P.S. Hopefully my posts well be more readable now! :lol:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Also found (at least on my install...)

Their's also no GUI for the adding of 'Users and Groups' :oops:

Easy fix usually the package system-tools-gnome

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”