New To Linux, Wont boot at all

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Godlyhalo

New To Linux, Wont boot at all

Post by Godlyhalo »

Ok, so im 100% new to linux, No experence what so ever in anything related to linux. I kinda knew about it for a while, and my friend started using ubuntu/mint/KDE and others....So i decided to give linux a try.

So when i put in the Live CD for mint, I get the menu screen. Next I get the splash screen and mint loads....After that...Nothing, I get a command line, information on the Warrenty of ubuntu, and thats it. No error message, nothing. Just a command line. If from what im reading is correct, I dont get a login screen (I think its called GRUB but im not entirely sure). Seems kinda strange....I did try starting mint in safe graphics mode and the same thing happens. Also, I have tried this with Mint 4.0 i think, not so sure tho, Ubuntu 7.10, and KDE, Mint and KDE i would assume are the newest versions because my friend gave me the CD's about a week ago.

My system specs:
Intel Core 2 quad Q6600
2 gig of RAM, Corsair XM2
ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard
EVGA 8800 GT
Two monitors: Acer X223W and Compaq 7550

Remember, Im completely new to all forms of linux.....So if you want to give me instructions...Tell me EXACTLY what I need to do...step by step....

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Ive been wanting to try mint and ubuntu for a while now...But i haven't been able to figure out what is going wrong.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: New To Linux, Wont boot at all

Post by Husse »

Your specs seems OK - but use "Safe graphics mode" to be sure
I'm not quite sure I understand you right - have you tried both Ubuntu and Mint?
Seems like bad CD to me - have they been used elsewhere?
Godlyhalo

Post by Godlyhalo »

I have tried safe graphics mode with no luck, and all 3 CD's have been tested on my schools computers and they all work perfectly fine. No idea what the problem is, my friend who uses mint/ubuntu/KDE has no idea why they aren't working......
Husse

Post by Husse »

Any problems with the CD player?
Godlyhalo

Post by Godlyhalo »

nope, none. Got a new CD drive this week because my old one died. I Know its not that...Could it be my graphics card though? My friend said my 8800 GT might be to new...My friend did have problems when he upgraded from his old 7900 GTX to a new 8800 GTS (G92)...So could my graphics card be the problem?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes - removing "quiet splash" can help, and I think it's even mentioned in the release notes
however I "always" forget it :)
Shocking admission :mrgreen:

Return to “Installation & Boot”