Weird bug on cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zangib

Weird bug on cinnamon

Post by zangib »

Hi, since I've installed cinnamon some months ago, I'm getting a weird bug when I open a pop-up dialog and close it very fast, when this happens I get a grey box which stays there even if I change the window.
Here's a screenshot:
I think it has something to do with the desktop animations, but not sure. I don't care about this since I can easily remove it by closing the app which opened it or restarting the DE, but I've seen this:
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/2330
This looks similar to what happens on my system so I think there's a bug.
I'm not requesting for help, just informing about the bug, if any additional data is needed to solve it, just tell me and I'll post it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Weird bug on cinnamon

Post by dagon »

Hi!

Got here from the link on the Community site.
What version of cinnamon are you using?
what version of Mint are you using?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That's a modal dialog (an empty one) and as such a gtk or Gnome 3 bug rather than a Cinnamon bug, I think (not sure).
ebettoni

Post by ebettoni »

I getting the same error:
- Linux Mint 12
- Cinnamon 1.4
Application affected: Google Earth 6.2.0.5905 (beta)
Radeon HD 4200

This bug happens every time I start the GE and the only way do "defreeze" is doing a Alt + F2 and "r".

I can't get this on Gnome Shell, it's only related to Cinnamon use.
zangib

Post by zangib »

Hi, I also have the problem with Google Earth and as far as i know, it only affects cinnamon.
I'm using right now Mint 12 with cinnamon 1.4, but this also happened with previous versions.
kahlil88

Post by kahlil88 »

This sounds suspiciously like what I've been experiencing with Ex Falso and MP3Diags, the progress windows stick to the screen until I restart cinnamon.
nacreous

Post by nacreous »

just installed GE on LM13 Cinnamon and that weird grey pop-up appeared
didn't experience this on LM13 MATE

Google Earth 6.1.0.4857 (beta)

output from "inxi -G"

Code: Select all

inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780D [Radeon HD 3300] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon) Resolution: 1366x768@59.8hz 
           GLX Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics GLX Version: 3.3.11627 - CPC
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon, and have Google Earth installed from the Software Manager. I get the strange pop-up grey box at the top of the screen while using GE, and there it sits permanently unless I click to restart Cinnamon. This gets rid of it, but if I close GE and relaunch it, it will pop up again.
Cordwainer Duck

Post by Cordwainer Duck »

Hi folks. I'm seeing much the same problem with several apps that put up a splash screen on launch. The splash graphics clear, but I'm left with this black rectangle in the middle of the screen that sits on top of everything else. Closing the app doesn't remove it; nothing in system monitor; xkill terminates whatever window is under it; only way I've found to clear it is to restart the DE or log out/in. Not 100% consistent, but pretty reliable with Eclipse, MySQL Workbench, TheBrain (aka PersonalBrain), and a couple of others. Have not seen this with Unity or Gnome Shell (n.b.: just installed the latter, so little time using it as yet.)
Running Cinnamon 1.4 on Ubuntu Precise, nVidia graphics with proprietary driver.

Code: Select all

./inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G96 [GeForce 9600M GT] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: nouveau,vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1440x900@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 9600M GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.40
Any / all thoughts appreciated.

CD
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

This is June 2012, and I think I have the same bug. This is what I see when I start Google earth

Notice the empty dialogue box, blocking the view of everything underneath. This stays on top of other applications.

The advice above works - Alt + F2 and "r"

Can somebody tell me what this key combination does? It looks like a cinnamon restart.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
c0dehunter

Post by c0dehunter »

Yes, it's cinnamon restart.

Anyways - I'm getting this bug too. Developers should look into it.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I think this might be a theme related bug, rather than an issue with Cinnamon generally. I switched to using Zukitwo top panel, with the Zukini window theme and Orion Gtk theme, and when I open Google Earth the empty dialogue box only briefly flashes up then disappears. Anyways, I'm glad to hear they've fixed it for the next release. :)
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Scratch that, I was wrong. One reboot later and the problem was back. :D

NVM.
skrage99

Post by skrage99 »

This is strange, I seem to be having the same issue, and of course I can resolve it by hitting ALT+F2+r, but I'd rather not have to do that several times a day.

Does anyone know if there has been any sort of update on this issue?
GerMulvey

Post by GerMulvey »

Any update on this issue as the grey box can be annoying and alt+F2 r is not really a solution just a stop gap fix

cinnamon 1.6.4+maya seems to have resolved but I also changed the theme to ambiance which may have had some bearing.
boyoboyo

Post by boyoboyo »

I've also been experiencing this (although while using Eclipse pkg-config plugin).

Broke my cinnamon:
-Added romeo repo
-Installed Cinnamon 1.6.4 => broken Cinnamon.
-Removed Cinnamon 1.6.4, installed Cinnamon 1.4 => no more lower panel and windows are broken.

Installed Gnome3, logged into GNOME session, then issue resolved - no more gray box.

I can get used to GNOME3 :)

P.S.
I also use ATI Radeon HD (4xxx series).
pkas

Post by pkas »

puddletag (an MP3 tagging app in the repositories) triggers this orphaned window bug in Cinnamon/Maya on almost every operation.

Turning off Compiz window animations has no effect.

My guess is that some apps (such as puddletag) are not handling some X event in quite the right way, but have "gotten away with it" (not realizing it). And, something in Cinnamon is making that vulnerability visible. In the end, it might not be a Cinnamon bug, per se, but an app bug that Cinnamon exposes. It would be great if the Cinnamon folks could get together with (for example) the puddletag folks, since the problem seems to be extremely easy to reproduce. The insight they get from working together would likely shed light on what's making it happen in the other apps.

If I can help somehow, please let me know...

-pkas
debambition

Post by debambition »

HI,

I was in a impression that I am athe only one who is facing this issue but this is not so. I am using Linux Mint 15 (Cinnamon). and I am still facing this issue. looks like it was not resolved with the updradation.

Is there any one have any solution for this.
debambition

Post by debambition »

Hi All,

after a lot of attaimpt I am able to resolve this issue. I am using Mint-15(Cinnamon), till few few days back I was getting the same issue. After disable all the special visual effect (System Setting-> Appearance -> Effect)or the compiz effect this issue is rectified. In previous versions One mayfind the same setting in the cinnamon display setting

Chears
Dibakar Deb
Stephen_Winters

Post by Stephen_Winters »

I have been having this same bug (a solid grey rectangular shaped box) pops up in the middle of the screen and stays in front of everything. This grey box only pops up when I install software using the Synaptic Package manager. The grey box pops up only during the download process after I've chosen the software and and clicked the apply changes button on the popup message box.

Although I've been working on setting up the LMDE for several days now, and have been installing a number of programs this box has only showed up this last day or so. I wonder if it has to do with some program package that I installed. I think I'll try to see if I can find the program. If I can't, then I'll use your fix "disable all the special visual effect (System Setting-> Appearance -> Effect)" and see how that goes. (I have done some minor testing, turning off the effect seems to get rid of the grey box while using Synaptic, and then when I turn on the effect again, the grey box came back.

This bug is happening on an old laptop that I've just installed the current version of Linux Mint Debian (LMDE 201303). The System Info box says: Cinnamon version 1.8.8, Distribution Linux Mint 1: debian (i686)

Stephen

Return to “Cinnamon”