Hi from Finland!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marko_s

Hi from Finland!

Post by marko_s »

Hello, Mint users!

I'm a relatively new Mint user - relatively, because I have used Linux Mint XFCE version quite extensively in the past (I can't remember if it was Mint 9 or 10... oh well...). Just installed Linux Mint 13 Maya (MATE) yesterday to replace my aged Ubuntu 10.10 - works like charm so far, no complaints :wink:

Yeah, I have been a Ubuntu user since mid-2008, starting with Ubuntu 8.04 and working my way up all the way to Ubuntu 10.10. I wasn't so sure that the new Ubuntu Unity desktop environment would work in my laptop, plus I wanted to try out some other distro besides Ubuntu. So, Mint it is.

So there is my introduction, in all it's brevity :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Hi from Finland!

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forums! The XFCE version of Mint is quite good. Mint 13 is a good choice as well. Have fun!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi marko_s, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! If you do get the Xfce fever again, Linux Mint 13 Xfce has just landed as a release candidate with hopefully the final release within a week or two: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2077

Be sure also to check out the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews). Also check the mintBox, the Linux Mint computer.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint :wink:
marko_s

Post by marko_s »

Thank you for the heads-up about the XFCE version, Vincent...! :)

I was impressed by the XFCE version I used earlier, so I might give it a go in the future. But for now I'm a very happy camper with the MATE desktop environment :wink:

My only major gripes so far have been a somewhat erratic behaviour in the Software Manager (but I mainly use Synaptic in any case, so no big deal) and the fact that I seemingly can't launch Google Earth properly (I get the splash screen, then the main window seems to be opening up for a fraction of a second, then- nothing).

But that's pretty much it, everything else is working very well. It has been a better user experience than in my former Ubuntu 10.10 so far :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”