Optimization Linux Mint ??

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Optimization Linux Mint ??

Postby crismblog on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:48 am

What programs should be deleted and the work must be stopped to consume fewer resources? The desktop is the MATE.
crismblog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Optimization Linux Mint ??

Postby xenopeek on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:28 pm

What is your primary focus, memory or CPU/power usage? You can disable some services if you don't need them, but it will mostly only save you some memory as services you already didn't use consume a negligible amount of CPU/power.

Here's a list to get started, probably there are some more services you could remove. This is from my quick-wins list :) Noting that I think it is a good idea these services are enabled by default, giving average users the best out-of-the-box experience (connectivity wise).

Some obvious services to disable to win some memory, if you aren't using them.
  • Open Startup Applications in the menu, disable services you aren't using. For example from this list:
    • Bluetooth Manager - only needed if you have bluetooth devices
    • Desktop Sharing - only needed if you share your desktop with others
    • mintUpload - only needed if you use it to upload files to servers
    • Print Queue Applet - only needed if you have a real printer, not for print-to-file
    • User folders update - only needed if you switch languages, and want your personal folders to be renamed each time you switch to a another language
    • Visual Assistance - only needed if you have a vision disability
    • Xhost + - only needed for making your X server (screen + keyboard + mouse) usable by other X clients, such as a program running on somebody else's computer showing output on your screen and reading input from your keyboard and mouse
    • Zeitgeist Datahub - GNOME's built-in spyware, or at least I don't know what other function it serves but to track what you do on your own computer
  • Samba + Avahi - Samba needed for file and printer sharing with other computers on the local network, Avahi for auto-discovery of services on the local network. You can disable either or both, if you aren't using those features: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=82044&p=476278#p476278
  • Modemmanager - only needed if you have a (USB) modem: viewtopic.php?t=101010&f=42
  • Dnsmasq - only needed if you use VPN: disable by editing the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:
    Code: Select all
    sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

and put a "#" in front of the line "dns=dnsmasq", so that it reads
    #dns=dnsmasq

Ctrl+O followed by Enter key to save the file, Ctrl+X to exit. Then do:
    sudo restart network-manager
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby crismblog on Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:29 am

Thanks
crismblog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby igor83 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 am

That was an enlightening post, thanks. I did the same thing on Windows XP, disabling about a dozen unnecessary services to free up resources. So I looked for info on how to do the same on what I view as the natural successor to Windows XP, Linux Mint.
My desktop runs 64-bit Kubuntu 13.04, my htpc runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs 64-bit windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Each seems suited to its purpose.
igor83
Level 4
Level 4

Postby joshg253 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 am

Great post, Vincent! I had already disabled most of those startup applications. ;)

I couldn't get online anymore (WiFi) after commenting out dnsmasq. Removed the hashmark and restarted network-manager and it works fine again.

For further optimization, I'm wondering if compiling a custom kernel would be worth it.
joshg253
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cwwgateway on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 pm

If you're running debian, you can use the liquorix kernel, but I don't know if it works with Ubuntu.

Edit: there's some other stuff on this list - http://www.datamation.com/open-source/getting-the-most-from-ubuntu-20-tips-1.html
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Other topics