external drives permissions change themselves

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

external drives permissions change themselves

Post by matthekc »

I have an external western digital mybook and the permission keep changing from chmod -r 777 which i do to the drive it seems daily to owner read write only. Is there any security daemon changing my preferred settings?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: external drives permissions change themselves

Post by Husse »

No daemon to my knowledge
Which edition do you use?
There is a problem with KDE and external disks
matthekc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by matthekc »

vfat cannot save ANY file permissions (the file system does not support it). so no matter what you set, it will always go back to the default you defined.
The default ist set by the fmask and dmask... i am not mistaken, change them fmask=0111 and and dmask=0000 and your permissions should be what you want them to be.

A solution from the ubuntu forums I'm going to try it later.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

I added "umask=000" to my drive in fstab to give me read and write
access to owner,group and others. so, my drives' fstab line looks like this:

/dev/sdc1 /media/Storage
vfat uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=000,auto,rw,users 0 0

(i'm using Daryna KDE CE beta 044)

Return to “Beginner Questions”