What 'UPDATES' should be installed?? solved

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: What 'UPDATES' should be installed??

Post by Husse »

Your question is the exact reason why we made mintUpdate where updates are sorted into categories.
I can't tell you what you should and should not install as the number of updates is overwhelming
However mintUpdate works with Cassandra
To get it you can download an older version as a .deb file
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =17&t=6034
or enable the Romeo repository. This is however not to recommend to inexperienced users, as Romeo is the unstable Mint repository.
It's OK to continue with Cassandra, especially if you manage updates with mintUpdate :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ouch - you've stumbled across one of the drawbacks of the new (well new last autumn) forum - that it does not display the entire link, so that it's easy to make the mistake you made
The error you get is because you cant connect to the medibuntu repository. It seems to be a bit shaky - it happens now and then.
The simplest way to fix this, and the method I use, is to navigate to /etc/apt > right click > Open a terminal
Then write

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit sources.list 
Pasting in a gnome terminal is by right clicking
When sources.list opens up comment out medibuntu so the line looks like
## deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free
After that mintUpdate works and you can use it
When done, uncomment the line (same procedure as above) as you'll want updates from there if possible
Husse

Post by Husse »

I made a potentially serious error - I just copied my line....
You should have feisty
If you uncomment you will have access to that repository again else not
It's not one of the more important, but anyway
To underline
NEVER
have a repository for another version of Mint than you have, or for another version of Ubuntu than the one which is the "sibling" of that Mint
Husse

Post by Husse »

It won't update medibuntu.
I'm not having problems with it - it may be your internet that is a bit "shaky"
Husse

Re: What 'UPDATES' should be installed?? solved

Post by Husse »

Oh crap - the old address - thought that was changed
Husse

Re: What 'UPDATES' should be installed?? solved

Post by Husse »

With such a slow connection just apply level 1 and 2
The kernel exploit just now is about privilege elevation locally - i.e. a user could steel the privileges of another user- not he most important for most of us

Return to “Beginner Questions”