Maybe MDM not Natilus causing problems? (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjaythomas

Maybe MDM not Natilus causing problems? (SOLVED)

Post by jjaythomas »

Have followed the problems that XFCE have experienced on LMDE.
The normal thinking is 'nautilus' is causing. So uninstall 'nautilus
But

But experienced these bugs now of 'LMint13-XFCE RC. I know 'nautilus' is not installed, so figured it was'nautilus-data' (that is installed). So uninstalled that (nautilus-data). Still 'XFWM4' is screwed.

This happed after I was configuring MDM (with its GUI tool). So changed 'DM' to straight GDM (less GUI configurable thou)
and the XFWM4 seems to work correctly.

Will reinstall both XFCEs (LMDE and Main RC) versions and change DMs and test and let know.

J.Jay
P.S. as far as I Know these bugs are only effecting XFCE!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Maybe MDM not Natilus causing problems?

Post by zerozero »

now that you mention i think we have 2 different issues:
- one is clearly nautilus-related (wallpaper changes, it's impossible to change it back, icons change to some weird *default*) > clearly (i think) the symptoms of nautilus taking over;
- the other (that i saw less) is the loss of xfwm4 (and for this one i have no clue :shock: )
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry just got back...

remember XFWM4 has many hooks to xfdesktop.
I'm thinking
'MDM when you configure tries to call call the Desktop manager, but doesn't recognise xfdesktop But in LMDX sees nautilus so uses (nautilus causes problems from here on). In LMint 13 XFCE RC just shuts dowm XFWM4 because no nautilus.

A simple fix may just be saving session (in setting>startup and session) and making sure the save session is always unchecked on logout. :idea:

P.S. remember to be able to deleate MDM compleatly it is in as a 'sys service' also (I use Bootup-maager to stop service) where you'll be directly dropped to a CLI. Resart X (I use 'startxfce4' then full deleate MDM (I use synaptic) Then reboot again and install GDM.

Haven't got around to fix spell-check yet :oops:
J.Jay
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Sorry another post (I just remember, age does that) :oops:

I never got the problem in LMDX uness I tried to force it (I ended up deleating nautilus so not had to worry about).

But I remember forcing nautilus to 'take over the desktop' I could just reboot (as long a save session not checked) and all would be good.

J.Jay
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

So far so good even now
same tweaks/customization (minus the MDM changes)
even now changed kernel (waited thought maybe kernel :!: ) I like 'Optimus kernel (now at 3.3.7 with premt and other patches) in Ubuntu/derivatives

Will now try LMDX reinstall (keeping nautilus and changing DM) no Optimus kernel (not the great in straigh Debian type distros) :wink:
Will also try to force issue (invoke nautilus, chang MDM before changing ect.

J.Jay

Edit have to get spell-check on this user also :lol:
jjaythomas

Re: Maybe MDM not Natilus causing problems? (SOLVED)

Post by jjaythomas »

I was barking up wrong tree. :oops: :oops:

Its from using Gparted (I can reproduce) keep Knocking out xfWM and reseting session. :roll:

Maybe my hardware I installed a Hybrid 'SSD drive about 2 months back.

Drive 500GB works like regular HD but has a SSD (1GB I Think) where it puts commonly used files (totally no user 'interaction all done internally by HD :o )

This could be why I've been getting random display errors they seem to go away (mimatched files/configes till SSD gets changed! :oops:

Sorry for rants...
and thank you for trying to help ZZero and others
J.Jay

P.S. Did learn more about nautilus and LMDE-XFCE problems thou :lol:

Return to “Xfce”