No sound - Fresh install of Mint 13 (Mate)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stokescj1

No sound - Fresh install of Mint 13 (Mate)

Post by stokescj1 »

Hi all,

I have just completed a fresh install of linux mint 13 and the sound does not work. The only time I can hear sound is the start noise and also if I do a left and right speaker test.

I installed mint via a usb stick, and while running the OS on the usb I could actually hear sound while watching media and such, which is very odd.

I have done a fair bit of digging and cant find anything about how I can fix this.

Here are some terminal reads that other people seem to ask when there is a sound issue:

inxi -A

Audio: Card-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec

Codec: IDT 92HD73C1X5

I would very much appreciate some help on the matter! Please also note, I used to run Ubuntu 12.04 which was able to run sound perfectly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cyclejopple

Re: No sound - Fresh install of Mint 13 (Mate)

Post by cyclejopple »

I too am experiencing the same problem. I have tried the ubuntu tweak at least from what I understand (*** linux amature here) and still after all the commands in the terminal I get no system sounds. Please help a newbie!
stokescj1

Post by stokescj1 »

I seem to have found a solution. Go to Control Centre > Sound > Hardware tab.

You should see two sound modules
Turn off the HDMI one using the drop down.

Regards
nymo

Post by nymo »

Hi,
I have the same problem but can't find the Control Center? Where is it?

Edit:
I found the Control Center it was deactivated but there is no Sound section only Volume Control ;( what I'm missing?

Regards
nymo

Post by nymo »

Repaired my Cinnamon Desktop and found there the sound section. Turned it off and now everything is working as expected.
nvn

Post by nvn »

Thank you 'stokescj'. Your solution solved my problem...

Return to “Sound”