Clem, please tell me how to enable keyboard shortcut

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Clem, please tell me how to enable keyboard shortcut

Post by vistad »

I am on LMDE 201204-32-MATE-DVD and I'm happy with it, but there is one thing missings. Please, tell me:

How to enable keyboard shortcuts to select the whole word with Ctrl+Shift+Right/Left?

I need it badly!!! It was present in Limux Mint Gnome editions. It would also be very desirable if you could tell me how to enable the keyboard shortcuts to select the whole paragraph with Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Clem, please tell me how to enable keyboard shortcut

Post by xenopeek »

I think that is an application specific keyboard shortcut? Which applications are you using where you want this to work?

Probably Clem won't answer BTW, he's busy developing :wink:
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

I want it to work in any application where I may have to edit text - like Pluma, text editors, may be even terminal.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right works just fine on Pluma here. Have you perhaps installed Linux Mint on a virtual machine, where the virtual machine software may perhaps not be passing through all keyboard commands?
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

No, it's not in virtual machine. I have installed LMDE on hardware as my main operating system and I use it as such. Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right makes the cursor jump over 1 word, but it should jump over a word AND SELECT it! The whole problem is that it does not select it. This is a bug! Here is how it should be:

Shift+Left/Right - select one character
Ctrl+Left/Right - jump over one word
Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right - jump over one word and select it
xircon

Post by xircon »

Must be a Mate problem. Works in Cinnamon (though I never knew it existed!).
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

xircon wrote:Must be a Mate problem. Works in Cinnamon (though I never knew it existed!).
It's not, now is it :) I already commented it works fine just two comments up. Both on Linux Mint 13 MATE and on LMDE MATE, Pluma is happy to Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right select a whole word.

If you aren't on a virtual machine, perhaps you have installed something else that captures key presses? I don't know, like Compiz or Docky or something. Or possibly you have set a global keyboard shortcut. Check in Keyboard Shortcuts application that none of the shortcuts are set to Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right.

To rule out this being caused by such as I suggest, boot from the LMDE installation DVD/USB. Try Pluma from there. Type some words and try to Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right select them. If you can, this means something you installed or configured on your LMDE installation is causing a conflict. If it also doesn't work from the LMDE installation DVD/USB, I'd suspect a hardware failure in your keyboard.

Return to “LMDE Archive”