Official Newer Firefox Versions - "Aurora" thread

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Official Firefox versions 6/7/8/9/10/Beta "Aurora" threa

Post by ej64 »

rykel98 wrote:So, how in the world can I get Firefox 9 at all??
You'll need ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa

But what's wrong with FF10? I use it and it's fine.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

On my LM 9-main-gnome system, the regular updates just included Firefox 9.0.1. If memory serves, I was running 3.6.

FYI--When downloading/installing, it asked if I wanted to keep an initialization .js file or overwrite it with the default one. Usually I'll choose the default one; that's what I did here. After starting Firefox again, and running v9, I went through my Preferences to make sure everything was set to what I wanted. There were a couple add-on incompatibilities, but nothing major.

Jumping so many version numbers, is there anything else I need to know? Thanks.
Summersky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Summersky »

moonlight is incompatible with firefox upgrade. Is there another program to use or should I look upstream to moonlight?

Thanks.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

I always had FireFox update turned off ... been satisfied with older version for longest time. Yesterday I had Mint Updates available ... I always install the updates provided. However, I was surprised to see FireFox updating among the other items in the updates. I now have a FireFox 9.01 from a version 3 !!!
After I exit FireFox now, if I want to get back in I get a message that FireFox is still running but is not responding - In order to get back in I have to re-boot :(
was trying to see about reverting back to a previous version and synaptic now only shows the version 9.
Should I uninstall it completely and install a previos Linux version of FF outside synaptic.
There's gotta be an easier way to manage these updates.
Summersky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Summersky »

Clyde wrote:...I get a message that FireFox is still running but is not responding - In order to get back in I have to re-boot :(
Please, what mint version are you using?
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Summersky wrote:Please, what mint version are you using?
Isadora 9

The only way to restart firefox now is in the terminal with the 'killall' command :(
also flashgot does not work with this version ... also reads Linux search not campatible with 9.01 (had to disable it too) :?

add: removed firefox 9.01 completely and re-installed thru synaptic ... still same problems.

add 2: so removed 9.01 again ... downloaded 3.2.6 from mozilla site and running it thru terminal - a hassle but better than half working one. Now all my extensions including flashgot are working fine again. Don't know how to get it back to the way it was before tho.

Edit: with the latest FF 10 update all back to normal :D
theo1358

Post by theo1358 »

I'm using Firefox Nightly, and they're finally shipping pdf.js by default. It's pretty cool, having a built-in pdf reader using HTML5.
omeringen

Re: Official "Firefox-6.0 Aurora" thread

Post by omeringen »

linuxviolin wrote:Yes, Aurora is now 7.0a, i.e Firefox 7 Alpha, and Nightly (you can try/use it also if you are brave enough) is the future Firefox 8... A Beta of Firefox 6 is released. But I don't see the need for Aurora packages. You just need to download it from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/channel/, extract it somewhere in your /home and click on the file named "firefox" which is inside the folder created during decompression. You can make a shortcut on your desktop, in your menu or your panel if you want/like. Aurora updates itself automatically, if you check this option in the Preferences, or by hand with a click on "Look for updates" in the window "About Aurora" in the Help menu. There is an update every day. And Aurora will find and use your current Firefox profile in your system, in your /home. Really, a distribution package, whatever the distrib, a PPA or other is absolutely useless... :roll:
I agree. But the problem is, after i run the Firefox, plugins window is empty and Firefox looks ugly. Plugin dir is "/usr/lib/mozilla" i guess. Any suggestions ?

Edit :
Made a test with 32 bit LMDE & KDE on virtualbox, it's working.

See the screenshot

Virtualmachine is 32bit, real machine is 64bit and both Firefox versions are i686.
omeringen

Post by omeringen »

Hi again,
I've just found what the problem is. : )
Mozilla release channels main page always provide i686 builds and that's why i had issues. The Firefox on my Mint is x64 build :

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0 ID:. . .

I got x64 builds from FTP and everything is fine now :

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20120429 Firefox/14.0a2 ID:...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Summersky wrote:moonlight is incompatible with firefox upgrade. Is there another program to use or should I look upstream to moonlight?
There is an add-on to install "incompatible" add-ons anyway. Moonlight works that way if you download the latest version from its website.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Allan Parker

Re: Official Newer Firefox Versions - "Aurora" thread

Post by Allan Parker »

As of June 2012, Firefox 14 beta is in the "Beta" channel, Firefox 15 alpha is in the "Aurora" channel, and Firefox 16 pre-alpha is in the "Nightly" channel.
Features planned for future versions include silent updating so that version increments will not bother the user, although the user will be able to disable that function.[84] A different looking user-interface called "Australis" is also planned.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

AlbertP wrote:
Summersky wrote:moonlight is incompatible with firefox upgrade. Is there another program to use or should I look upstream to moonlight?
There is an add-on to install "incompatible" add-ons anyway. Moonlight works that way if you download the latest version from its website.
For years the whole 'Moonlightstory' is a very sad one, I have to say. Only in Windows (Silverlight) it is right.
I have seen it working some periods (two, three weeks or such), years ago in PCLinuxOS, but that was it then.
I never saw it do something in Mint, LMDE, KXLUbuntu, or others although I try every now and then.

And: Silverlight/Moonlight is not going away from us, still I do see it here and there. Last on a Saoudi Arabian site.
And on Dutch newssites... And there's nothing I can do... :roll:
Jeff11

Post by Jeff11 »

Allan Parker wrote:As of June 2012, Firefox 14 beta is in the "Beta" channel, Firefox 15 alpha is in the "Aurora" channel, and Firefox 16 pre-alpha is in the "Nightly" channel.
Features planned for future versions include silent updating so that version increments will not bother the user, although the user will be able to disable that function.[84] A different looking user-interface called "Australis" is also planned.
I have a number of FF versions installed manually but only my official/default version 12 seems to be able to "see" any of the plugins. How do I properly install FF 14 or tell my current manual FF 14 where to locate the plugins?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Jeff11 wrote:...
I have a number of FF versions installed manually but only my official/default version 12 seems to be able to "see" any of the plugins. How do I properly install FF 14 or tell my current manual FF 14 where to locate the plugins?
And you made separate profiles for each of them (assuming you mean extensions as opposed to plug-ins)?
The plug-ins should be in just one place and different browsers, let alone different versions of the same browser, should see them without difficulty.
Take for example, /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Seamonkey all see this plug-in.
Jeff11

Post by Jeff11 »

aes2011 wrote:
And you made separate profiles for each of them (assuming you mean extensions as opposed to plug-ins)?
The plug-ins should be in just one place and different browsers, let alone different versions of the same browser, should see them without difficulty.
Actually no, the extensions are fine.
I now have FF 12 from the Mint repo as default and the plugins are fine.
But I've manually install FF 14, FF15 7 FF16 and none of them can "find" the plugins. They all tell me that there are no plugins installed.
Extensions are all working great for every version but no plugins except for 12.
Help!!!

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Jeff11

Post by Jeff11 »

aes2011 wrote:

Could you provide a step by step for creating the individual "profiles" that might help?
I've tried profile manager but even using that I can launch each version but only 12 can see plugins and I really want to upgrade to the newer released without losing the plugins.

Thanks again in advance,
Jeff

Return to “Software & Applications”