LM 13 maya cinnamon x64 network printer install problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

LM 13 maya cinnamon x64 network printer install problem

Post by dhdurgee »

I am having problems getting a network printer installed on LM 13 maya cinnamon x64 and given my newbie status am unsure how to accomplish this. I opened Printers in the Preferences menu and hit the button to add a new printer. This opened a new window where I can select local or network and can fill in a box with an address and toggle a search by address checkbox, but the add button is greyed out and I can only hit the cancel button. There is a message shown "FirewallD is not running. Network printer detection needs services mdns, ipp, ipp-client and samba-client enabled on firewall." regardless if the firewall is started or not. I have tried it both ways.

This is on a system where I already have a working LM8 helena x64 install, so I attempted to copy /etc/cups/printers.conf and the /etc/cups/ppd/* to my maya partition. This worked partially in that one of the printers is functional, but the other is not. The ppd from helena for the failing printer is for Gutenprint 5.2.4, but it appears that maya is running 5.2.8 and is not compatible. I also have a katya system and tried the ppd from there, but it appears that katya is using Foomatic and thus it isn't compatible with maya either.

Can someone guide me in getting a Gutenprint 5.2.8 ppd for my printer? Alternatively, can someone guide me in an alternative printer install procedure that will work given the IP address of the network printer?

Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LM 13 maya cinnamon x64 network printer install problem

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

What is your printer make & model? That would kinda help in answering this I think :wink:
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

xenopeek wrote:Moved here by moderator

What is your printer make & model? That would kinda help in answering this I think :wink:
Printer is a Brother HL-5050, which supports both PostScript and PCL. I install both versions as I find that with some documents the PS version runs into problems and I get an error message instead of the expected output. In those cases I try again using PCL and that works.

I was able to simply copy the PS configuration from helena, but the PCL configuration from helena is at an earlier Gutenprint level and the PCL configuration from katya is Foomatic.

I also have to get the "print to PDF" working.

Dave
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

Any suggestions at this point for making progress in this? As I noted the installer does not appear to be working and at this point I have only one working printer of three I want to have available.

Dave
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry, I'm not sure what your next step should be. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable users here will pick up on your request for support. It seems rather specific issue though, so you may want to include some more information or steps you have tried for others to be able to help you with this.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

I'm not sure what else I can add to what I included in the first post. I will be happy to run appropriate diagnostics or commands from a terminal session and capture results to upload here, but I do not know what would be helpful. As I noted I attempted to "migrage" my current printers from helena only to find that only one of them is compatible under maya. I don't know if the problem is specifically related to the fact that I am using network printing, perhaps my install was incomplete and somthing is missing.

Dave
scousegit

Post by scousegit »

I have precisely the same problem. LM13, Cinnamon, X32, Samsung Q35 laptop, D-Link DP-301P+ print server attached to HP Laserjet 5L, wireless connection. Worked with Ubuntu 10.04.
Last edited by scousegit on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
lassipr

Post by lassipr »

scousegit wrote:I have precisely the same problem. LM13, Cinnamon, X32, Samsung Q35 laptop, D-Link DP-301P+ print server attached to HP Laserjet 5L, wireless connection. Worked with Ubuntu 10.04.
Mine too, same D-Link (printer Brother 8085), did work fine on Julia and Katya. Now dont get regomnised at all, + that FirewallD issue...
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

Has anyone opened a bug report on this? We don't seem to be getting much in the way of answers here.

Dave
hairybiker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairybiker »

There are severe issues with the latest cups. There are several threads about not printing and if you check out the bug list networked printers are on it.
I have problems with my usb printer as well - been waiting for a fix for a couple of weeks now.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You may have other issues specific to your particular printer but this "FIrewallD" problem is caused by using the wrong utility. Try this one in a terminal:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
lassipr

Post by lassipr »

altair4 wrote:You may have other issues specific to your particular printer but this "FIrewallD" problem is caused by using the wrong utility. Try this one in a terminal:

system-config-printer
Ok, this one seems to work on my system. Alltough I did managed to connect printer with CUPS according to this thread:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=0
Thanks
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

altair4 wrote:You may have other issues specific to your particular printer but this "FIrewallD" problem is caused by using the wrong utility. Try this one in a terminal:

system-config-printer
I have run this utility and been able to successfully create my PCL printer. I also tried to create a "Generic CUPS-PDF Printer" with a Device URI "cups-pdf:/", but while I created it and it says it is creating and printing test pages I don't see the output anywhere. What did I miss?

Dave
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I also tried to create a "Generic CUPS-PDF Printer" with a Device URI "cups-pdf:/", but while I created it and it says it is creating and printing test pages I don't see the output anywhere. What did I miss?
It automatically creates a folder in your home directory called /PDF.

BTW, you can change the location of that folder is your choose:

Edit a file as root:

gksu gedit /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf
Look for this section:
### Key: Out
## CUPS-PDF output directory
## special qualifiers:
## ${HOME} will be expanded to the user's home directory
## ${USER} will be expanded to the user name
## in case it is an NFS export make sure it is exported without
## root_squash!
### Default: /var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}

Out ${HOME}/PDF
That's the universal location so it will affect all users but to change it just change PDF to Documents for example.

You will probably have to restart cups ( sudo service cups restart ) and maybe logout and login again - I don't remember.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

altair4 wrote:
I also tried to create a "Generic CUPS-PDF Printer" with a Device URI "cups-pdf:/", but while I created it and it says it is creating and printing test pages I don't see the output anywhere. What did I miss?
It automatically creates a folder in your home directory called /PDF.

BTW, you can change the location of that folder is your choose:

Edit a file as root:

gksu gedit /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf
Look for this section:
### Key: Out
## CUPS-PDF output directory
## special qualifiers:
## ${HOME} will be expanded to the user's home directory
## ${USER} will be expanded to the user name
## in case it is an NFS export make sure it is exported without
## root_squash!
### Default: /var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}

Out ${HOME}/PDF
That's the universal location so it will affect all users but to change it just change PDF to Documents for example.

You will probably have to restart cups ( sudo service cups restart ) and maybe logout and login again - I don't remember.
I see no such file in my /etc/cups directory, so this is probably my problem. How do I get this file created? It would appear that deleting and adding a generic CUPS PDF printer is not sufficient to do so, as it did not create one.

Dave
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It would appear that you have a package missing:

sudo apt-get install cups-pdf
That should have created the PDF printer for you and created the /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf file automatically.
EDIT: You might want to remove the PDF printer you created and let the package create one for you.
dhdurgee
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dhdurgee »

altair4 wrote:It would appear that you have a package missing:

sudo apt-get install cups-pdf
That should have created the PDF printer for you and created the /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf file automatically.
EDIT: You might want to remove the PDF printer you created and let the package create one for you.
That did the trick. I now have a working PDF printer as well as my network printer in both PS and PCL modes.

Dave
scousegit

Post by scousegit »

altair4, system-config-printer worked for me. Many thanks.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

altair4 wrote: Try this one in a terminal:

system-config-printer
Many thanks for that post altair4. I've been wondering for a long while why my printer would not print duplex, even with the newest HPLIP driver. Why are the options in the Mint System Settings so restricted?! This command brought up the dialogue I'm familiar with on other Linux systems, and that I can't seem to find from the menu.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
blackest_knight

Post by blackest_knight »

Thanks for this, just as a matter of interest if you have the chrome browser installed turn on cloud print and share the pdf printer, now you can print from your android phone / tablet to pdf files on your mint box :)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”