Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mockturtl

Re: [SOLVED] building Cinnamon (sid)

Post by mockturtl »

xircon wrote:Did you encounter this?
No, just a harmless warning:

Code: Select all

$ grep -nr libffi.so logs/
logs/build-muffin.log:1317:dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/muffin/usr/bin/muffin debian/muffin/usr/bin/muffin-theme-viewer were not linked against libffi.so.5 (they use none of the library's symbols).
logs/build-muffin.log:1349:dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/libmuffin0/usr/lib/libmuffin.so.0.0.0 was not linked against libffi.so.5 (it uses none of the library's symbols).
logs/build-cinnamon.log:1149:dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if debian/cinnamon/usr/lib/cinnamon/libcinnamon.so debian/cinnamon/usr/bin/cinnamon were not linked against libffi.so.5 (they use none of the library's symbols).
Is there any chance you picked up libffi6 from experimental?

Edit: nevermind, I see the problem. You're building the `master` branch. You need to checkout `stable` instead.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

The latest UP is just a couple lines of js.

patch-systray-applet
patch-magnifier
Cobinja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cobinja »

xircon wrote: Did you encounter this?
I did and I found the reason.

There are changes merged in src/main.c in the cinnamon repo on github (commit 7798c6a2e84f5c13d0bcbbdae917e7381b7a3e03) that refer to changes in mutter 3.4. Those changes are included in the contributor's muffin repo, but not (yet) included in mint's muffin repo. Because muffin is based on mutter 3.2.1, cinnamon can't handle stuff that is new in mutter 3.4.
Building cinnamon's stable branch (1.4UP3) is succesfull (for me).
Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Thanks everyone, successfully built the stable branch and am now running UP3.

Cheers

Steve
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

latest builds (muffin 1.0.4, cinnamon 1.4-UP3)

32-bit

64-bit
xircon

Post by xircon »

Thanks MT, downloaded and installed OK. Didn't notice much difference, new options in the settings program, that was all.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

xircon wrote:Thanks MT, downloaded and installed OK. Didn't notice much difference, new options in the settings program, that was all.
I meant to package the NEWS file... and forgot. 8) :lol:

I noticed there's an option for "Cinnamon 2D" at login, and panel launchers bounce. Hopefully no more 800MB memory leaks.
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Thanks mockturtl! Works nicely on here. Weird padding on the text-based applets is fixed now (yay!). Things seem a little more polished. I'll have to experiment with the new Cinnamon 2D tomorrow. All in all, good stuff! :)
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

Thanks for the new cinnamon build -- now there is no more packets hold and I have evolution updated to 3.4.3 :)
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Latest builds (muffin 1.0.4, cinnamon 1.4-UP3). I haven't used it much yet; new features include notifications, expo applets. Check the included NEWS file.

32-bit

64-bit
xircon

Post by xircon »

Thanks MT, all installed and working.

Steve

:Edit: Hover on expo applet does not appear to work, but not a biggie.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

After a reboot, the UP5 cinnamon version (1.4.0-lmde2UP3) isn't working on my wheezy boxes (no panel, no window theme). It does run well on my incoming/UP5 machine. Anybody else?

A fresh build fixes me.

muffin 1.0.6, cinnamon 1.5.2@afe2029

64-bit
md5: 5d8b4563759efd9a274fb6b3369478b8

32-bit
md5: fce92a52e1e56c0d83aae794ccdbc506
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

mockturtl wrote:After a reboot, the UP5 cinnamon version (1.4.0-lmde2UP3) isn't working on my wheezy boxes (no panel, no window theme).
I took my UP5 test machine up to Sid this morning. Cinnamon is working OK, just the same problems I reported in the UP5 feedback thread. Settings and menu editor won't launch. Everything else seems fine so far.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Cheers MT, fixes minor problem of blank panel appearing (until mouse-over, when it populated and hid). My panel is at the top and set to autohide.

Steve
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Thanks for the update, mockturtl. Just upgraded from your July 3rd package, and all is well. :)

The glitchy systray icons appear to be fixed now. Was only a minor annoyance, but I couldn't find any other noteworthy bugs to mention, despite it being a snapshot build. The new notifications applet is awesome. It's reminiscent of the notification-daemon in Gnome 2 which I've missed.

There's only one bug I can find so far, but it's arguably a beneficial one. I have the panel set to Flipped (so it appears at the top) and the menu button on the top left of the screen. I also have the hotspot on the top left and set to Scale. Now, if I click on the menu button to open it, then bring the cursor to the hotspot at the top left of the screen, then click on the menu again to close it while keeping the cursor at the top left, the hotspot is then triggered, but I get the Expo view instead of Scale. Pretty cool bug imo. :lol:

Clem and the team have really outdone themselves with Cinnamon 1.5. Definitely the best version yet! :)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

I just installed the latest builds, thank you! But, I notice that when I use the 'Classic Menu' and then try to add icons to either Favorites or the panel, Cinnamon crashes. After two or three such crashes, Cinnamon tanks and I have to log out and then back in. Any ideas?
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
xircon

Post by xircon »

cmost wrote:I just installed the latest builds, thank you! But, I notice that when I use the 'Classic Menu' and then try to add icons to either Favorites or the panel, Cinnamon crashes. After two or three such crashes, Cinnamon tanks and I have to log out and then back in. Any ideas?
Sorry can't help, no problems here (MT's 3rd August build).
xircon

Post by xircon »

squeezy wrote:
mockturtl wrote:After a reboot, the UP5 cinnamon version (1.4.0-lmde2UP3) isn't working on my wheezy boxes (no panel, no window theme).
I took my UP5 test machine up to Sid this morning. Cinnamon is working OK, just the same problems I reported in the UP5 feedback thread. Settings and menu editor won't launch. Everything else seems fine so far.
Squeezy, what errors do you get if you run cinnamon-settings from a terminal?

Steve
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

I've installed latest builds of muffin and cinnamon, but there is a problem: no text at all in all elemets related to cinnamon -- menu, bars, etc.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

iLobster wrote:I've installed latest builds of muffin and cinnamon, but there is a problem: no text at all in all elemets related to cinnamon -- menu, bars, etc.
Sounds like a theme problem. Try the defaults, hopefully the others will be fixed soon.

Return to “LMDE Archive”