Using sources on a regular Debian Install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
AlexMex90

Using sources on a regular Debian Install

Post by AlexMex90 »

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question, if I posted in the wrong place, please move where it belongs.

I would like to install Debian without a GUI and use the LMDE sources.list to make a "LMDE Minimal installation" and from there begin to build the OS.
I tried to change the sources.list in debian and replace them with a standard LMDE sources.list however that didn't work

any advice?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
squeezy

Re: Using sources on a regular Debian Install

Post by squeezy »

Which Debian did you start with? Since LMDE uses snapshots of the Debian Testing repo, anything you start with other than Squeeze is going to be newer than the LMDE repo and you won't see any updates.

When you say it didn't work, what exactly do you mean?

BTW, I do this all the time. The machine I'm posting from is a custom LMDE Cinnamon setup starting from Squeeze command line install and working on up :D
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

AlexMex90 wrote:
I would like to install Debian without a GUI
Then just start from Debian netinstall iso.

Use wired LAN for ease to work on internet.
Do not use wireless unless
1. your hardware had already been provided for with Debian kernel to get wireless.
2. you are willing to change router to no passphrase.
a temporary means to get Debian installer with wireless working for installation.
and use the LMDE sources.list to make a "LMDE Minimal installation" and from there begin to build the OS.
Seriously Debian is much much lighter than LMDE.
anywhy nothing stop you from trying.

If you need a tutorial, here is one I tried in the old days, no issue then..

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/197
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/198
I tried to change the sources.list in debian and replace them with a standard LMDE sources.list however that didn't work
Not sure what you actual did.
For me, it is just using root terminal, assuming you have nano installed
then type nano /etc/apt/sources.list
then just type new sources list, or copy from somewhere and paste
then comment out whatever unwanted list

proof read
when all ok, just three simple steps
1. ctrl-X
2. y
3. <enter>

back to root terminal..

good luck
AlexMex90

Post by AlexMex90 »

When i tried to update the software sources (apt-get update) it asked me for keys or something...

Ill try again and I will report again ;)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

More info please:
Which Debian did you start with? Since LMDE uses snapshots of the Debian Testing repo, anything you start with other than Squeeze is going to be newer than the LMDE repo and you won't see any updates.
1.if you install testing net-install
2.then copy/paste LMDE source list
3. then install mint-install-debian

you upgrade to UPack 4 but updates won't apear till UPack 5 release (if any)? Any and all packages (from testing) over and above versions in UPack 4 will just wait till 'Mint's Upacks catchup? :shock:

J.Jay
P.S. the passwords are to be able to use the mint sources (I believe their listed somewhere) :?:
AlexMex90

Post by AlexMex90 »

I'm trying with a Squeeze DVD install. I bought it from Rapael Hertzog's website.
so it should work, I'm okay with getting updates until the next update pack, I want a testing more stable, my previous Debian Testing install killed itself after a bunch of updates, so I'm relying on Mint's update packs to have a less suicide rolling distribution :D

Sorry for being so slow to answer, but most of the time I'm busy working :/
jjaythomas wrote:More info please:

you upgrade to UPack 4 but updates won't apear till UPack 5 release (if any)? Any and all packages (from testing) over and above versions in UPack 4 will just wait till 'Mint's Upacks catchup? :shock:

J.Jay
P.S. the passwords are to be able to use the mint sources (I believe their listed somewhere) :?:
I will follow these steps, thanks jjaythomas :)
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

AlexMex90 wrote:I will follow these steps, thanks jjaythomas :)
That's going to be difficult since there is no such package called mint-install-debian. Also, if you start with a current Debian testing netinstall ISO all the packages you install will be newer than Mint's repos and can lead to dependency issues. For example, if you're running current Debian testing, you can't install Cinnamon from Mint's LMDE repo.

I do this all the time. In fact, the setup I'm on now is a custom LMDE started with a Debian Squeeze console-only install.

Update the sources to point to Mint's "latest" Debian repo.

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
You'll also need to put a file in /etc/apt/apt.d/ to tell apt to ignore the out-of-date warnings you get using Mint's snapshot of the testing repo.

Put this into a file and place it in the above mentioned directory. I called my file 85mint.

acquire::check-valid-until "false";
You might also want to put the preferences file in place. I run without it because some of the packages I like to install have broken dependencies if you use the preferences file. This goes in the /etc/apt/ directory, file name is preferences.

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 500

After that do an apt-get update then install the linuxmint-keyring and debian-multimedia-keyring packages and update apt again.

Do apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade your Squeeze install to the Mint repo's version of testing.

From there you can install the desktop, display manager and apps of your choice. If you want your install to be really Minty install debian-system-adjustments and mintsystem after you do the dist-upgrade. Install mint-artwork-debian after you install your desktop choice and you'll get set up automatically with the Mint Debian background, Mint theme and Mint icon set.

I'm running on a LMDE GNOME Shell install right now, a system never offered directly by Mint. That's why I like doing these things. :mrgreen:
Last edited by squeezy on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

jjaythomas wrote:More info please:

J.Jay
J.Jay, current Debian testing is way farther advanced than Mint's UP4 repo which was a snapshot from April. It's best to start with Squeeze and update to the Mint UP4 repo to get best experiance possible. See my example re: Cinnamon from my reply to Alex, above.
AlexMex90

Post by AlexMex90 »

Thank you very much, squeezy for you reply and advice, I'm right now waiting for dist-upgrade to finish!
Actually, I'm also looking for a LMDE GNOME Shell, that's why I wanted to do this.
I work during all day so I had to do this at 2 a.m. aaahh nothing better than sit in front of your computer, working in a CLI interface in the dark huh? :lol:
Thanks to everyone for your help, I'll report any problem or success.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Hope it goes well for you, Alex!

My GNOME Shell install is running really nicely. I've gotten to appreciate GS a lot more and actually prefer it right now to most other options. Since I install just what is needed for my system, it's not a heavy environment at all. It boots into a little under 110 MB of RAM and even on my old-spec hardware it performs well.

GS misses some (IMHO) essential dependencies. Here's what I install to get what I consider a minimum workable GS environment:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell xdg-user-dirs menu dconf-tools eog gnome-system-tools gnome-shell-extensions evince dmz-cursor-theme gedit gnome-tweak-tool gnome-terminal nautilus-open-terminal

sudo apt-get install mint-artwork-debian

sudo apt-get install mdm mint-mdm-themes synaptic samba nautilus-share
After this I can boot into GNOME, configure some options and settings and use Synaptic to install the other apps I use like Firefox, Evolution, Banshee, etc.

Return to “LMDE Archive”